• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hatsan AT44 vs marauder

so after far too long debating whether or not to take the plunge, I have finally decided to sell off one of my 9 mm handguns and use it to break into PCP rifles.

I am targeting the 25 caliber rifles, as quiet as possible . This will be a rifle used for pest-control and target shooting, using pests as targets.

The marauder seems to be the gold standard, and it is on the top of my list. But that being said , I always comparison shop. The AT44 caught my attention by the fact it is a pump action repeater. I think that is probably more convenient for a quick reloading than the marauder bolt action.

The Benjamin armada also caught my eye, seeing as it has rails for days, but it looks like it might be heavy to hold while shooting. I also read some bad reviews about the butt stock and the construction being sloppy where the shroud and barrel are fastened together-there seem to be some issues with alignment.

I can't go wrong with the marauder, but the pump action is appealing on The AT44.

Both are great airguns. My bro has the AT44s10 and shoots in par with my MRod. Both are 25cal BTW. A buddy has / had the Armada which he later converted to a MRod which of course lightened it up and made access for upgrades much easier. I do like the sidelever on the Hatsan. Bro hasn’t done anything other than adjust the trigger. And a tack driver out to 100yds. 
The MRod can be moderated / silenced a bit better while still utilizing the shroud system. You’ll have to remove the shroud on the Hatsan to mount a moderator leaving a floating barrel. Unless there’s something I missed. Best of luck!

I did some reading I have some conversations over the last 2 to 10 years. At some point in time, 22 was considered a better caliber because of The wider variety of pallets available. However, in 2015 the marauder had manufacturing defects with the 22 barrel. so the debate came down to whether or not you wanted to shoot higher quality pellets out of a cricket barrel, or lower quality unstable pellets through a straight 25 caliber barrel.

does any of that still holds true today?

"chasdicapua"Wow, if you could get the FX Whisper in .25 for $735 I would jump on that. Your shot count will be at least 50% better with the FX. Accuracy will be better, the trigger will be much better and I'm pretty sure power will be about the same as the Marauder and the AT44. Best wishes with whatever you choose.
Chas, where did you hear about the shot count of the Whisper .25? The only review I could find on the .25 mentioned 10 good shots. 
John

Both rifles are going to have a bit of weight to them, especially in the wood stock. But while they will seem heavy at first. you will get "airgun arms" over time without even noticing. 

As far as choice, I think the .25 Marauder is one of the best values in airguns right now, especially with a 25% discount code. They are quite accurate, parts are easy to get, there are plenty of guys with extensive tuning experience to draw from, and the aftermarket tuning parts and service are abundant. On the other hand, if you just take it out of the box and do nothing but hunt small game with it, you can do that and be fine. 

The Armada is just a Marauder in tactical dress, there is no difference in the gun's internals or function. So if you think the accessories are worth the cost difference to you, go for it.

Whichever rifle you get, you're going to have fun!

JohnL57 you got me thinking! I called AOA and they said the Whisper Synthetic in .25 gets about 25 shoots. That's a 185cc tube, so extrapolating that to the 215cc tube on the marauder would be 29 shots per fill. Did some checking and found someone posting here on this site that said they got 16-18 useful shots from their Marauder in .25. So, if we took the high end (18) and added 50% (9) that would be 27 shots. So, if we can take these shot count numbers as a given, the FX Whisper .25 does get slightly over 50% more shots than the Marauder .25. Pheew! I didn't want to be putting bogus info. out there. 

John, I have both the AT44 and Mrod. My nod goes to the Hatsan for these reasons; shot count, trigger, mags and SIDE LEVER action. The Mrod is a great gun, no complaints. It has a nice trigger but, I hate the rolling bolt cocking mechanism and the shot count stinks. Accuracy is the same IMO. My At44 has about 5K shots, no issues. Added a Huma reg, 35 shots on the money. 

I have the Armada in .25 and it gets Very heavy really quickly. Good shooter though. I wanted to get an FX or AT44 myself for a bullpup style rifle. I also own a marauder pistol that I tossed an after market AR stock on and modifed a Magpul handguard to fit. Looks nice and with a moderator is crazy quiet. About 65-70db at the muzzle. Perfect for backyard pest control.