Has anyone taken their gun to Europe!?

Wrong reading early in the morning.

Well I have travelled from Norway to Sweden, sweeds are more liberal on guns but not on silencers. Just showed my papers on the gun in the custom and filled out some papers on how long I was gonna stay there and purpose. And got a "passport" for my gun and silencer.

Keep in mind Europe has 46 sovereign states with their own rules and laws, that changes weekly.

I heard they jail you for life in brittan, they dont take to kindly to weapons of mass destruction over there. With the resent air gunning school shootout. 

ps. you need to check with customs for each and every place your going to. its all different.
ps2. Finland is totally open to anything airguns but if your not going to Sweden or Norway ill doubt you'll end up in this backwater. 

Each and every one of the 51 countries in Europe have different laws when it comes to (air)guns. Any particular country in mind? You might want to check with the airline you plan to use also, to find out what their policy is with regard to the transport of weapons. This isn't just a simple one answer question unfortunately. ;) 

All of you are right. Every country has different regulations and it is best to just call them and see what those regulations are. However, I just hate calling places like foreign customs and what not, asking a bunch of question, and then having to reply on that one dude that so happens to answer the phone. LOL. I was simply hoping that someone went to Europe and can give me first had experience with that.

Anyhow, thank you all for the input.

Kmd

I would contact the Embassy / Consulate whatever of the country/countries you plan to visit.

Of the xx number of countries in Europe the only real difference is the Airgun power level & whether one can hunt using an airgun.

It's perfectly OK to bring a Hunting Rifle / Shotgun to the UK - it just requires certain paperwork - a 'higher powered' Airgun would fall into the same class (in the UK any air rifle over 12 FPE is classed the same as a powderburner rifle).

There are technicalities of course !

Technically, a US airgun shooter is not 'expected' to have a Sound Moderator :) (FUNNY - how the countries which have NO power restriction (e.g. USA, Japan, Australia etc) also ban Sound Mods (or nearly ban).

Any rifle that can be easily reduced to a Pistol (largely a matter of overall length) is a NO NO in many countries.

I could mention any number of shooting restrictions in various countries, but it doesn't answer the overall First Question...

to which the answer is generally YES - for most standard uses and most standard rifles if you sort out the correct paperwork there will be no problem in Europe.

This is all on the basis of travelling with your 'gun', shipping a gun to Europe is a whole different ball game.

Thank you all for the input...

I am in the US and will travel to Greece next Summer. The plane has a quick stop in Germany. When in Germany, I have no access to my luggage. I know that Greece does not care much about air rifles and what not, which doesn't mean that there is not going to be any paper work that needs to be done, but I am more concerned about the ZEE GERMANS. Common sense would tell me that since I have no access to my language, I would not need any paperwork, but you never know...

thanks,

Kmd

Kmd
I teavel.around europe a lot with powder burners,just drove back from sweden, lefal limit in germany is 10j ab 6ft lbs, if tour passing through the country and you wont have access, to your airgun ,i cant see there being a problem,, if its pcp it should be easy enough to drop it down to 6ft lbs and carry a dated chrono report witb you,,just a thought, i hold german and french gun licenses as well as my uk
But havnt renewed my french one for a few years, we rely on the european firearms pass when in europe
Rgds steve

"BRS"KMD - you mention a 'quick stop' in Germany if that is purely change of planes (type of thing) and you remain on the 'flight' side of Customs then there is no problem. As long as your Baggage remains on the flight side it is not normally checked, just transfered.
YES, just a change in planes...

However, I still would like to know what happens if I fly to Germany and stay there... e.g. get my luggage. I wonder if I can change the regulator on my gun so it only produces 7 joule muzzle energy, which is max allowed in Germany. On the other hand, I might as well "fake" a Chrono "certificate" and leave the gun the way it is?!

Thanks,

Kmd