• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Hand-loading

"Barbarian"ive heard because of less effect on pellet, like damage, and centering. Not real sure that make much sense to me but I can say I get better results too ????
That does make sense, though. I can see where the harder probe would tend to distort the softer lead of the pellet. The centering thing makes sense, too. I'm a hunter, so the faster speed of mag-fed trumps the marginal increase in accuracy for me. Thanks :)

"Barbarian"Yes, when I'm speaking of seeing a distinct difference I'm speaking of shooting at 100+yards from a bench. I would venture to say most of your hunting scenarios aren't gonna qualify much of a difference.
I have a RAW HM 1000x .357 (130 ft-lbf regulated) rifle, so she is a 100 yard weapon; but truth be told, I very seldom take shots over 75 yards. In fact, the vast majority of my shots are under 50 yards. Yes, being a hunter, the relatively higher volume of fire with a magazine is more significant to me than a marginal increase in accuracy by hand-loading. I certainly see where any advantage is useful in bench-shooting though (sort of like competition swimmers shaving off all of their body hair).

"marcella69"
"Percula"With the RAW guns specifically its a myth. If anything the magazine fed are better unless you have a thimble.
That's interesting Percula. Why is that? Are RAWs that well made? (I understand what a thimble is and that they are used on non-magazine-fed rifles only.)
IME with RAWs unless you have a rifle with a thimble it's easier to get a well aligned pellet loaded with the magazine than by hand. The breach is tight on them and it's easy when loading by hand to get things a little off and "force" it. With the mag (assuming no defects) your pellet is perfectly lined up to enter the breach, just push it in nice a straight. 

"Percula"
"marcella69"
"Percula"With the RAW guns specifically its a myth. If anything the magazine fed are better unless you have a thimble.
That's interesting Percula. Why is that? Are RAWs that well made? (I understand what a thimble is and that they are used on non-magazine-fed rifles only.)
IME with RAWs unless you have a rifle with a thimble it's easier to get a well aligned pellet loaded with the magazine than by hand. The breach is tight on them and it's easy when loading by hand to get things a little off and "force" it. With the mag (assuming no defects) your pellet is perfectly lined up to enter the breach, just push it in nice a straight.
Thanks for that :)

"Saltlake58"It may depend on your equipment. If the magazines deform the pellet in any way, yes, single loads will improve accuracy. However, if you watch Ted's last video about how he won Extreme Bench Rest, he used magazines. Sounds like it's something to try with your gun and find out. My setup doesn't seem to care one way or the other.
Well, as I've said before; as a hunter, any marginal increased accuracy gained by hand-loading is swamped by the efficacy of rapid follow-up shots afforded by a magazine.