• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Had to change out the duct seal in my pellet trap

After maybe over 10 years of shooting all sorts of ammo through it, it was finally time to change out the duct seal from my pellet trap. Back when I first made my pellet trap, I put in about 3 inches of duct seal. Over time, with thousands of pellets through it, it has expanded outward to the point of reaching the backside of the paper targets. 

I was thinking maybe I could remove the back panel and lift out the whole slab of duct seal but it was wishful thinking. I had to disassemble the whole box to remove it. Duct seal is really tacky! I could have fished out all the pellets from the old duct seal and reused it but that would've taken me a least half a day to do so and I don't have the time.

I already had some old/new duct seal still in the package left over when I first built the trap and bought additional just in case. After removing all the screws from the panels, I had to use a wrecking pry bar to separate the wood panels from the duct seal. That's how sticky and tacky the duct seal is.

It's not as pretty as it use to be but it's a box I shoot at after all. 

20201005_151346.1601942376.jpg

20201005_151357.1601942434.jpg

20200709_150623.1601942549.jpg

I suggest using parchment paper or wax sheets for your working area otherwise all that duct seal will get all over the place.

20201005_152058.1601942774.jpg

20201005_153319.1601942615.jpg

20201005_154154.1601942869.jpg

20201005_154522.1601942971.jpg

Looking at the inside of the back panel, I'm glad that nothing penetrated the two 12 gauge steel sheets I installed long ago.

20201005_155834.1601943147.jpg

20201005_154608.1601943227.jpg

Measure and cut.

20201005_163402.1601943549.jpg

And here it is with some fresh duct seal. Just thought I'd share.

20201005_164052.1601943358.jpg

Duct seal is great stuff although a bit messy to pick the large clumps of lead out of it's not that difficult. Then the stuff an be kneaded/hammered back into a convenient shape. I shot my 100fpe 9mm into it and it did not even penetrate the 2 inch thick block. Although a few shots in the same place it may have. Since it is so quiet, seldom needs cleaned and makes for a very compact pellet trap I still use the stuff decades after I started. I have over the years replaced most of the bricks, as after a while it is easier to replace them than clean them out, but most of them are many years/decades old.

Duct seal is great stuff although a bit messy to clean the pellets out of. I shot my 100fpe 9mm into it and it did not even penetrate the 2 inch thick block. Although a few shots in the same place it may have. Since it is so quiet, seldom needs cleaned and makes for a very compact pellet trap I still use the stuff decades after I started. I have over the years replaced most of the bricks, as after a while it is easier to replace them than clean them out, but most of them are many years/decades old.

I think that was my problem. I didn't do yearly maintenance on it. Next time around, I'll replace it before it gets too thick and have to use a pry bar again. At least I could remove the back panel easily instead of having to disassemble the whole box.

What would the kerosene or acetone do?

See what's it's composition...

Screenshot_2020-10-05-15-03-57.1601946287.png

1f914.svg

Now if it's rubber based then I would think Kerosene or Acetone would dissolve it to make it easy to strain all of the lead out and may harden again after it evaporates???

Sounds like a big mess with or without using it. I'll save that for another day. Thanks.

Interesting because I also started out with a "duct seal trap" decades ago. It was made to fit a sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" letter size paper with a cardboard backed picture stuck to the face of the duct seal between shooting sessions. The trap was permanently hung on the wall and it looked like a framed photo between use.

I used that for a while but found that it was a hassle to separate the pellets from the duct seal, however if I didn't "dig out the clumps" the new shot pellets would splatter on the "lead clump" instead of embedding in the duct seal.

I ended up trashing the "duct seal trap" after buying a Outers .22 bullet trap which I've been using for a couple decades to date. The bullet trap is set up in my upstairs "man attic" with no "separating lead from putty" hasssles. Cleaning the trap is a simple matter of emptying the contents in a bucket for recycling into fishing sinkers (or whatever)...........

Anywhoo.....the .22 bullet pellet trap has worked well for a couple decades!

Wait. OP, you pack the whole box to the front with duct seal? I only use the plugs laid flat in a single layer in the back, so about 2.5" thick. But then I only shoot .177 and .22, so...

When I first built the trap, it was just two layers. When I got my first .25cal airgun, I added an additional two layers on top of that (4 layers total) because I wasn't sure how it would hold up. I never kept up with the maintenance and dug out the pellets. All the lead has built up expanding the duct seal outwards towards the front of the trap. With the newly replaced duct seal, I only put two layers. I'm gonna see how it holds up to .30cal. The only problem I see is shooting for groups if it's drilling the same spot, it might go through.