• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Guns of our youth.

I bought a adult and a youth Red Ryder for myself and my wife, I have sighted mine in, wife has not even shot hers yet..

Looking back on my youth , I had a lot of BB guns , I wonder why the sparrow is not extent . I know it was my number one target as a kid and still is in my back yard...Any way I am sure the Red Ryder has taken out an easy Million sparrows...

I remember being ask "What would you like for Santa to bring you?" when I was in the 3rd grade in '55. My answer and my younger brother's was a Red Ryder BB gun. In the '50's, the Western movies was all the rage for kids even for some girls. The days and weeks went by so slow for Christmas to arrive and when it finally did I was so excited. After receiving other gifts like stupid clothes and other toys, the BB guns were the last thing given out. Image my surprise, instead of getting a Red Ryder BB gun, we got a crappy Daisy Model 25, slide action BB gun. What a disappointment. I had to place the butt on the ground and grab the wooden handle on the slide action and then bend my knees down fast pulling the slide down to cock it. During this time, wood was still used on the gun.

The Red Ryder held about a gazillion BB's. The crappy slide action only held about 50 and you had to take out the barrel to fill it. Some of my friends in the neighbor did get a Red Ryder and they made fun of our crappy slide action BB gun. Then one day someone wanted to show us how crappy our guns were compared to theirs on how hard they shot. The test back then, was to shoot the end of a tin can, not the aluminum cans of today. Most BB guns only dented the can.. If you had one that split the metal on the can, you had something. Image our surprise that our old crappy Model 25 slide action BB guns shot harder than the famous Red Rider. 

Everything was good again, the sun came out, birds were singing (for the time being), life was good again.

daisy-adult-red-ryder-bb-rifle-5.1604025689.jpg

PY-2057_Daisy-No-25-Pump-Action-BB_DY-Model-25_rifle_lg.1604025654.jpg

PY-226_Crosman-2100B-Air-Rifle_1509128333.1604099111.jpg
sadly I don't have a picture of my first airgun. It was a Crosman 2100 and it was very accurate. Many a bird lost its life to the mighty 2100. When I was 12 ai got my first bam style Chinese springer. It was a 22 and way more powerful. Within a week I was back to the 2100. I just never knew about artillery hold back then and could not get it to group for the life of me. I even killed a rabbit way back in my youth. That gun never had a scope but I knew the yardage of every position on that rear sight. I loved it so much. Recently I bought a 2200 and resealed it. Not very accurate. I couldn't find out why either. Big disappointment. I love these kinds of threads brings back memories. 

Here's a pic of a Daisy 104 in gold. Similar to the BB gun I had with the longer barrel, a young adult model. Was a sort of silver-bronze color. Shot lots of birds and such down by the Black River where we played, climbed the huge boulders, and fished. We have a lot of huge rocks by that river around the area dropped by the receding glaciers some 14,000 years ago. As is typical, the rear tubular sight is MIA.

IMG_7976.1604425884.JPG

And my next air rifle, the Crosman 760 Powermaster built 6/70. Shot a lot of BB's through it until I found those, " flyin' garbage cans" were more accurate in the smoothbore barrel. I saved my newspaper money to buy it at Sears, Roebuck & Co myself. I was so proud to buy a rifle with the big boys with my own money. Seen here as it was when I found it in The Closet of Lost Gold;

760pwrmsterv1d.1604426130.JPG

And now, fully restomodded. I like the tiger stripes that showed up in the factory stocks;

IMG_8332.1604426366.JPG