• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gun you could never shoot?

The gun that wouldn’t shoot for me was a Walmart springer I bought to deal with a chipmunk infestation. Can’t remember what brand it was but it was awful, shot way too fast and jumped hard. After whittling down a few chipmunks I replaced it with a .25 marauder and problem solved. As for springers now I love them and have a FWB300 and a HW30s in .22 that’s being tuned by John in Pa. Can’t wait to see how nice it will be after the tune and Vortek kit.

Yes and I wanted it to shoot so well because it feels so good to hold, yet no matter what I do it never shoots good.

I have not given up ..yet.It is a BSA GRT...which is the gas piston model...

My English Tomahawk would not shoot well at first, but after breaking it in and finding the right combo for it, which took over 1000 pellets all is Great.

I have two. The first was a Ruger .177 that I bought as a refurb, it was dirt cheap, and it seems to hate every pellet I have tried. I bought a tune kit for it, it shoots nicer, but no more accurately. I still have that rifle. The worst was a Walther Parrus in .22 I bought as a supposedly NIB, never shot warranty replacement. Another rifle with no favorite pellet. I pressed pellets through the barrel, most would fall though sections of the barrel, it was tight near breech block and muzzle. I gave that rifle away for the cost of shipping. I saw it for sale again not long after that.

DR butt grain.1645134519.JPG

DR forend.1645134628.JPG

DR grip cap.1645134651.JPG

DR loading tap.1645134714.JPG

DR trigger.1645134744.JPG

SMITTEN as I am with 1980s vintage BSA Airsporter springers, and despite he and I having almost identical names, this Don Robinson custom Airsporter S showpiece did not shoot as well as several stock Airsporters I've owned. Tom Gaylord fell for it at a Texas airgun show, and we consummated a horse-trade a couple weeks later involving a BSA Airsporter Stutzen plus cash.

Stutzen FL.1645135198.JPG
 + $$$ = 
DR BSA FL.1645135262.JPG

My TX200 MK3. I don’t know what it is with this rifle. It’s a .22. I’ve had full power vortek kits, sub 12 vortek kits, stock internals, ARH soft springs, Tony Leach 22mm conversions. Tried every pellet I’ve owned and just can’t keep it consistent. I’ll shoot 5 groups of 1/2” or better at 30 yards then it turns into a shot gun. Stock screws are always snug, scope isn’t moving. It’s the most consistent inconsistent rifle I own. I have 2 other TX’s that are great shooters so will not give up on this one. 

This is about a gun I could, and could not, shoot.

I bought my Apache, including two tubes of labelled Apache .25 caliber shot and the bb barrel insert, at a garage sale. To my amazement the gun both pumped and held air. I could chamber and fire bb's with ease and reasonable accuracy, but I could not chamber the Apache ball. These guns have a reputation for fragile bolt handles and I was afraid to use significant force.

At a sale at a local sporting goods store I found a partial bag of #4 shot, with is supposed to be proper ammo for this gun - still no luck; the balls would not enter the barrel. Examination of both groups of balls showed them to be barely spherical. Clearly, they were sold direct from the shot tower. 

In a flash of insight I searched the internet for swaged #4 shot and paid as much as I had for the gun for a bag. Success. The swaged balls are round and enter the barrel with only a slight push.

apache.1645143764.jpg

Bstalder85,

That's how I ended up with my first serious airgun. Neighbor had a 2018 Benjamin Trail NP XL that he hated. After owning less than a year, and having tried everything, it just wouldn't shoot straight. Sold it to me for $25, said it was ready for the dump. I cleaned barrel, performed Crosman trigger mod, learned "artillery hold," and found a preferred pellet, the H&N Sniper Magnum. Been a wonderful performer ever since. Just goes to show, one man's trash, is another man's treasure. Glad it all worked out with the Beeman R9, that fine gun will still be going strong when you pass it on to your kid. WM

Beeman Kodiak .25. Beautiful gun, not bad to cock at all, trigger was pretty stiff, shot 810 fps. with H&N FTT's for 29 fpe.

Terribly over-bored barrel! I could push just about every H&N pellet through the bore pointing it down at the floor with just the weight of a cleaning rod behind the pellet and a gentle tap to get the pellet moving. Most pellets showed no appreciable impression of rifling in the lead. Only JSB Kings engaged the rifling but wouldn't group better than 3/4 to almost 7/8 inch c.t.c. at 23 yds with scope set on 9 power.. Tried every hold imaginable.....the gun actually shot best (10 shot group on right) with a very firm hold with both hands and snug against the shoulder. A typical gentle springer hold (group on left) sprayed pellets all over at that distance.

I hated the fact that gun even existed. I did eventually sell it with full disclosure about its accuracy but I nearly cut it up and threw it away instead just to prevent someone from attempting head shots on game past 25 yds. I don't even want to imagine what someone is doing with it today.

IMG_0835.1645155359.JPG

SMITTEN as I am with 1980s vintage BSA Airsporter springers, and despite he and I having almost identical names, this Don Robinson custom Airsporter S showpiece did not shoot as well as several stock Airsporters I've owned. Tom Gaylord fell for it at a Texas airgun show, and we consummated a horse-trade a couple weeks later involving a BSA Airsporter Stutzen plus cash.

Stutzen FL.1645135198.JPG
 + $$$ = 
DR BSA FL.1645135262.JPG

Problem with the 80's Airsporters and Mercurys is that stupid Maxi Grip scope rail that forces you to mount your scope too high. I'm selling my Stutzens and probably my Mercury Clallenger Carbine. Supersports are the same deal. Selling mine off.(When I get around to it. Not today!) You can't mount a scope right. Shame, they're half decent guns otherwise. You can shoot them scoped but they just fit wrong

Keeping my 70's Mercury S and Airsporter S with regular 11mm dovetails. And keeping my Mk1 and Mk2 Airsporters. They all handle right.

My first air rifle... a 760, in 1975 was absolutely the worst. Couldn't hit a can reliably at 10 yards with pellets or bb's. It was what started my addiction... the search for better...

Worst that SHOULD have been good was an R7, circa 1981. By then I had many Beeman's and RWS's. All would shoot inside a quarter at 35 yards with at least 1 kind of pellet. That one just constantly moved poi and was 1.5" plus, even on the good days. And yes, screws were tight, barrel clean, and I knew how to hold it. I used peeps or irons almost solely so not the scope. Thankfully?, it was stolen so I didn't have to deal with it long term.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I bought a Mendoza Magnum for $10 at a yard sale that shot at 12 ft lb and would put about any pellet you stuck in it through the same single pellet hole at 15 yards. My bro still has it and it's still amazing when I get by there and take time to shoot it.

Guess that's the fun part that keeps us engaged...

Bob

A Beeman R1K in .177. I tried everything to get that gun to shoot as well as my other HW springers. Full power Vortex and ARH kits. 12fpe Vortex and ARH kits. I even bought a new full length .22 barrel from Chambers and gave that a try. The accuracy was acceptable, but never as good/consistent as with my R7s, hw50s or hw97k. Given the weight penalty with the R1, I eventually gave up and sold the gun. I don’t think there was anything wrong with the gun, but suspect my issues were due to the R1’s large 30mm compression chamber.

R

That would be... 

The Crosman Quest-1000. Ugh. The least pleasant air rifle to shoot that I've ever had. And that's after fixing (mostly) the trigger. I'll probably remove/machine the barrel and put it on something else. The stock will likely be used as a camera rest for wildlife photography (or kindling). 

A friend gave it to me when he "needed to make room in his safe" and it's lead me to question our 'friendship'. ;)

Be safe,

J~

This is about a gun I could, and could not, shoot.

I bought my Apache, including two tubes of labelled Apache .25 caliber shot and the bb barrel insert, at a garage sale. To my amazement the gun both pumped and held air. I could chamber and fire bb's with ease and reasonable accuracy, but I could not chamber the Apache ball. These guns have a reputation for fragile bolt handles and I was afraid to use significant force.

At a sale at a local sporting goods store I found a partial bag of #4 shot, with is supposed to be proper ammo for this gun - still no luck; the balls would not enter the barrel. Examination of both groups of balls showed them to be barely spherical. Clearly, they were sold direct from the shot tower. 

In a flash of insight I searched the internet for swaged #4 shot and paid as much as I had for the gun for a bag. Success. The swaged balls are round and enter the barrel with only a slight push.

apache.1645143764.jpg

Got to be the scope