• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Grubbing Skunks and Raccoons

@Smaug,

The FPE at POI is hard to give specifics on as it depends not only on the angle and therefore the amount and density of bone that needs penetrated before reaching the brain, but also the pellet being used. As I've stated here before, I've done point blank range shots on coon skulls using .22 Polymags at 18 fpe that did not penetrate the top of the skull on 4 out of 5 coon requiring switching to a .25 caliber to finish the job but switch over to .22 diabolo style pellets and there is no problem with 5 out of 5 going straight down. I'm able to do those tests as by law in Ohio all trapped nuisance raccoon taken off site must be put down instead of released. This gives me a controllable sample to work with in a confined location (i.e., cage trap) so all I have to do is wait for the head to line up the way I want it to with the barrel before pulling the trigger. I also like to take the carcass when I've got time and try different pellets and power levels then skin it out to find the penetration / shot placement.

As for the body shot, I didn't give a power amount as it is lower than the 18 - 20 fpe for a head shot so if you're prepared power wise for the head shot, the body shot will work anyways. Actually, a double lung shot may be one of the most ethical shots due to the larger kill zone. A successful brain shot means hitting a target that is about 2 inches long and 1 inch high and penetrating through hair, hide and bone into the brain case at a minimum to be successful whereas a double lung shot (about 4-5 inches long by 3-4 inches high) involves puncturing both lungs protected by weaker bone than in the skull. In many cases when lung shot, the coon, if it's on the ground, will hunch up and "inspect" the POI before deciding its next move. Based on the trauma caused, they then begin to tip over or start to run off with most only making it 20 ft or so before piling up. This is an especially good shot for a coon in a tree as they grab the tree tighter and then fall straight down making for an easy recovery. I also didn't discuss that due to the larger kill area is also why I prefer to use .25 on coon versus .22 or .177 so if I'm slightly off the mark I still may hit what needs hit instead of just missing it.