• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gray Squirrel, say hello to .30 Bobcat

DaveG

Apr 1, 2015
This time of year brings them ALL out. Most will get a pass, as the season is well over. There is always those that decide my stuff is more interesting than their stuff - and they gotta go! I caught one coming off the roof after doing a number on a bird feeder I have hanging off the corner of the roof in the front of the house. This one crossed and exited the roof in back, on the other side of the house. Feeling ever more confident in shooting the FX Bobcat in .30, I let him go a for a bit. He made his way up the hill on the left side of the house, all the way up to where there is a large oak tree laying down - after a big wind storm a couple summers ago. As you can see from the pict, it is a pretty good piece up the hill. He spotted me while he was on the downed tree, and he jumped up onto a sapling just in back of it, maybe 2 feet above. I took the shot off hand, and aimed right for the top of his noggin (he was @ where the orange dot is - and the camera is zoomed in a bit).

When I retrieved him, I could see a lump on his back, and quickly figured this was the pellet under the skin. But, I could find no entry wound. Aside from just a hint of blood on his fur between his mouth, and nostril there was no visible sign of impact. I had initially assumed that the blood was spit up... Closer inspection revealed that there was actually a hole in his upper lip. I had hit him smack in the face, and the pellet had crossed through his head, and logged about 2 thirds down his back, on the other side.

1st pict shows where the lump of lead is in his back (pinched between my fingers). 2nd pict shows his face, only there was much less red until I figured out that is where the pellet had hit him. 3rd pict I tried to pull the skin back to as to see the entry hole (with out getting too gross). This squirrel, when hit, just hung for a minute, then dropped. Once on the ground, I could see a back leg kicking, but that only lasted for a second or two...

Ted, just feeling the pellet through the skin, it felt pretty unaffected by the journey. Couldn't really feel any mushrooming of the head or anything ... I fox has already made off with the remains ;-)

SAS, with the .30, JSB is the only game out there, so mute point - that being said, I have quite a few ST bores out in the shop (.22 and .25) that work quite well with at least 3 types (JSB.Poly Mag, and Barracuda's) that it is hard to tell which is which simply by looking at group size. Some have shown to work with 5 or 6 different pellets well enough to use day in and day out... Some of the .25 bores have also tested really well with Benji domes, although those seem to be different now that the batch I tested with... So, like any bore, it just takes trying to find what works.

I'm gonna call it 50 yards, but will measure it tomorrow. The downed trees at the top of the hill are actually quite big. There is 3 trunks, as it was a clump type deal before deciding to go horizontal. I was walking on the largest of them today, and would say it is 17-18 inches across. This .30 is spitting the 44gr JSB right at 880fps.

Wow. Great shooting at that distance. I am very surprised that squirrel ate that pellet like that. You think it would have passed through with that much ft/lbs. I guess the larger surface area of the .30 helped it slow down and minimize penetration. Realistically you got about 5" of penetration I would say.? I wonder how that would fair against some of the larger game.