• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Got my Marauder for Field Target today, now what???

If you are going to shoot FT, I would send it off to Scott aka Motorhead in California. He is the guru on regulated Mrods and is also a FT shooter. I would have him install a Huma regulator and work his magic.

If you are into doing your own work, shoot me a pm and I would be glad to help you tune if you have a chronograph and would walk you thru installing a regulator if you would like.

"ajshoots"If you are going to shoot FT, I would send it off to Scott aka Motorhead in California. He is the guru on regulated Mrods and is also a FT shooter. I would have him install a Huma regulator and work his magic.

If you are into doing your own work, shoot me a pm and I would be glad to help you tune if you have a chronograph and would walk you thru installing a regulator if you would like.

Probably send it off. No clue on working on them.

any idea on what he charges?

You are probably looking at around $250 for the tune and shipping ( he has several options). I think the regulator runs around $125. There are videos that show you how to install it. Lots of people will try to talk you out of these mods but I am quite happy with my Marauder with the mods ( even changed the barrel). It is my most accurate rifle under 50 yards. I thoroughly enjoy shooting it.

If you're just getting started in field target and this is your first pcp air rifle, I would just go out and shoot it like it is. The Marauder is a good rifle. It's what I shoot in field target, but it is what it is. Why put all that money into a Benjamin Marauder. Save up and buy a better rifle if field target is your passion. It's really more about you and your ability anyway. I'm shooting just as well as people with 3x what I have in my setup. Just shoot it like it is and practice, a lot. You'll never get your money back out all those mods.

What scope did you get?

The first thing I would do is try to figure out what pellets it likes. Something in the 10.2 - 10.6 grain range will probably be best. After that borrow a chronograph and adjust the rifle down to around 900 fps. Then fill the rifle to 3000 psi and shoot about 50 shots through the chronograph and figure out where your sweet spot is (the most shots with the least amount of variation in fps). Try to keep an eye on your pressure while your doing this, then you know what pressure to start at and when to refill.

I would also recommend getting two pieces of software. ScopeKnob and Hawke ChairGunPro. I believe they are both free. Hawke ChairGunPro will help you create an elevation chart. ScopeKnob will help you create an elevation tape or a side wheel tape. Once you do all that, I would go out and shoot most of those ranges and make sure everything is correct. You may need to make some adjustments.

Most of all, have fun. That's what it's all about.

Trigger "work" is a breeze. Jeff has a nice blog with pics:
https://avveduti.wordpress.com/2010/04/30/marauder-project-lightening-the-trigger/

Then
read the rest of the marauder section of his blog. I dragged him into FT and this was his start.

https://avveduti.wordpress.com/category/airguns/marauder/

Starting out in FT, first take your rig to a match, you'll learn more in one day than you thought possible. The marauder is so simple to work on and so well documented even you can do it , ya buddy. But if your determined NOT to do your own work, very likely someone at a match would be able to help you. You DO need a crony. 
The above trigger mod ( and you can go further but don't need to0 ) should get your trigger down very light and chrisp ( slight changes on gen2 but none that matter).
Installing a reg is as easy as poping off the end cap and droping it in, then turning the adjusting screws ( rear of rifle) and you great to go for FT! YES a "Pro" tuner may well get you a few more shots but you do not need that to win with a marauder. You may wish to polish your barrel. Unless you got a real dude .177 ( not many ever seen)
that rifle as is ( with lot's of attention to fill psi & sweet spot) is just fine. With a regulator, practice and a better shooter than I you could win any match.

I know of many National Champion's who think very highly of the marauder ( even tho they use $2,000+ kit's) .

Run what you brung, learn and perhaps you can enjoy FT only having to purchase 2 rilfes.

Scopewerks rocks!

For my first year in FT I shot in the Hunter class. I used a .177 Synthetic Marauder, Leapers high dovetail rings and a UTG 3-12x44 Swat Accushot rifle scope. That same year I went to Nationals and placed 7th out of 29 in Hunter class. You should do just fine with it. Oh yeah, I tuned the marauder for 35(tight) shots at 890fps with JSB 10.3's.

A couple pics for ya,

The next season I used and S500 with an Aeon 6-24x50(in the picture it is sporting a Hawke Eclipse 6-24x50). I placed 7th at nationals that year as well.

This past season I upgraded the scope and stock, turned the S500 down to 11fpe or to compete in WFTF class. Didn't do so well at Nationals this year.

If I'm honest I got my ass handed to me. 21 out of 30 shooters in my class. On to better gear for next season but that's another post.