• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Good experiences with AoA Pre-owned items

I post this not to disprove or discredit any other posts documenting experiences contrary to my excellent experiences buying pre-owned from A0A; rather, to illustrate a level of inconsistency in their descriptions that sometimes can, and often does err on the side of conservative grading. My latest such experience, probably purchased within a day or two of another gentleman's decidedly bad experience, is an excellent example of conservative grading in the extreme.

My new-to-me Theoben Evolution was described on AoA's Pre-owned page as "Very Good condition (90% or better), but shooting weakly." Having everything required to correct the weak-shooting issue, I crossed my fingers, rolled the dice, jumped on it for the asking price, and held my breath in hopes the description was accurate. It wasn't! What came out of the box is actually a MINT cosmetic condition Evolution; easily 98%.

Theo Evolution.jpg

However the rest of their extremely brief description was entirely accurate. After adding some pressure to the gas ram my Evolution shoots like the virtually unused gun it was when I received it. In the past I've also bought a pre-owned FX Wildcat that AoA graded conservatively, and a Japanese Bushnell Elite rifle scope they graded conservatively.

My point is this- Despite their usual excellent service, unfortunately we still occasionally see inconsistencies in AoA's performance. Also unfortunately, that's a whole lot better than the almost universal incompetencies we endure from other busy businesses in 2023.

To close, a helpful hint to avoid bad Pre-owned buying experiences. If in doubt, ask the phone rep to get the pre-owned item in his hands, then ask POINTED QUESTIONS about it's description. I've done that, and they happily obliged.(y)

Last edited:
You definitely got a gem there for certain. I was waiting for you to post about it to prove my point about their grading system. The fact that your Theoben, my LGV, and another users Diana were graded the same and yet in vastly different conditions kind of proves my point that their system is flawed. You can't have nearly perfect and obviously well used guns graded as equals!

Ron, I’m going to tag in here hope you don’t mind as I actually got on here to talk about used guns experience with AoA. Just finished second with them today. Most of the guns I want are discontinued so that means used market. Bought 2 from them, both described as 90%. 56T/H was excellent cosmetically but made 10FPE. Breech seal, easy fix, did it myself and now have tremendous shooting beautiful 56T/H. Logun MKII Pro was more trouble but also excellent cosmetically. Took a bit of time and work, but AoA stood behind their sale the whole way and made it right. Now have two excellent guns and my only expense was a $10 breech seal because I chose not to send that gun back. That’s how you do business and why AoA continues to get mine for both used and new guns. Your point about talking to sales rep is dead on. More likely to get details that are important to you that way.

Nice and thanks for sharing (y). I've never bought any gun used and the way the grading system was on displayed here recently to be honest scares me😨 but you scored a winning Lotto ticket. I'm still a fan of AoA I've been around long enough and realize errors can be made and the most important point is how its addressed.
Nothing to be scared of! Just keep your hopes in check is all. Worse case scenario AoA has proven that if you aren't completely satisfied they'll take it back at no loss to you.

Nothing to be scared of! Just keep your hopes in check is all. Worse case scenario AoA has proven that if you aren't completely satisfied they'll take it back at no loss to you.
+1. It’s the only way you’ll never own a Theoben, or Logun, or many other fine guns that are discontinued. A 1958 Vette is a used car and might not start the next morning, but I’d take that risk LOL. I’m completely happy with how AoA took care of me and won’t hesitate to buy another used airgun from them.

I post this not to disprove or discredit any other posts documenting experiences contrary to my excellent experiences buying pre-owned from A0A; rather, to illustrate a level of inconsistency in their descriptions that sometimes can, and often does err on the side of conservative grading. My latest such experience, probably purchased within a day or two of another gentleman's decidedly bad experience, is an excellent example of conservative grading in the extreme.

My new-to-me Theoben Evolution was described on AoA's Pre-owned page as "Very Good condition (90% or better), but shooting weakly." Having everything required to correct the weak-shooting issue, I crossed my fingers, rolled the dice, jumped on it for the asking price, and held my breath in hopes the description was accurate. It wasn't! What came out of the box is actually a MINT cosmetic condition Evolution; easily 98%.

View attachment 374349

However the rest of their extremely brief description was entirely accurate. After adding some pressure to the gas ram my Evolution shoots like the virtually unused gun it was when I received it. In the past I've also bought a pre-owned FX Wildcat that AoA graded conservatively, and a Japanese Bushnell Elite rifle scope they graded conservatively.

My point is this- Despite their usual excellent service, unfortunately we still occasionally see inconsistencies in AoA's performance. Also unfortunately, that's a whole lot better than the almost universal incompetencies we endure from other busy businesses in 2023.

To close, a helpful hint to avoid bad Pre-owned buying experiences. If in doubt, ask the phone rep to get the pre-owned item in his hands, then ask POINTED QUESTIONS about it's description. I've done that, and they happily obliged.(y)
Regardless of any "inconsistencies in grading" pre-owned guns, Rich at AoA always makes the customer whole 100% of the time. Can't reasonably ask for anything else. The previous thread was grossly prejudiced, IMO.

Regardless of any "inconsistencies in grading" pre-owned guns, Rich at AoA always makes the customer whole 100% of the time. Can't reasonably ask for anything else. The previous thread was grossly prejudiced, IMO.

I suspect aforementioned previous thread not only was just one side of the story, but not the whole story.

Reactions: orangeokie