• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gauntlet .22 pellet preference

Well, I bought my daughter a Gauntlet to replace her Disco while she saves up for an FX. 

I didn't order pellets yet, but I'm inclined to have her order the JSB 18's.

She'll primarily be shooting at the range at 50 yards, and at home up to 30.

She isn't the type to experiment with pellets like I am, and quite honestly, after I do the initial scope setup and zeroing I'd rather not mess with it. I have a new Crown I absolutely need quality time with once the current ice age is over in Wisconsin.

The range we go to can be very windy and I know she struggles with the lighter JSBs with her Disco.

Any Gauntlet ownowners have any recommendations?

Hi PerkyVal, My son and I both have Gauntlets.22cal and we have been shooting the heck out of them. The 18.13 JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy, H&N 21.14 Baracuda pellets are the top performers out of both guns. we can shoot 10 shot 1/2" and under groups at 25 yards all day long with either pellet. I personally like the H&N's. Another thing that I like is they both shoot 14.3 Crosman Premiers and those you can buy at Walmart. A great choice for just plinking and still very accurate shot a 10 shot group that was under 1/2"@25yards the other day with Premiers. The one thing I did do to my rifle was adjusted the trigger look on youtube a few videos that can help you fine tune the trigger. I wish your daughter good luck with her Gauntlet I'm sure she will enjoy shooting it. Jon

"JH4410"Hi PerkyVal, My son and I both have Gauntlets.22cal and we have been shooting the heck out of them. The 18.13 JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy, H&N 21.14 Baracuda pellets are the top performers out of both guns. we can shoot 10 shot 1/2" and under groups at 25 yards all day long with either pellet. I personally like the H&N's. Another thing that I like is they both shoot 14.3 Crosman Premiers and those you can buy at Walmart. A great choice for just plinking and still very accurate shot a 10 shot group that was under 1/2"@25yards the other day with Premiers. The one thing I did do to my rifle was adjusted the trigger look on youtube a few videos that can help you fine tune the trigger. I wish your daughter good luck with her Gauntlet I'm sure she will enjoy shooting it. Jon
Do you happen to know the fps you're getting with the Jumbo Heavies?

"JH4410"Hi PerkyVal, My son and I both have Gauntlets.22cal and we have been shooting the heck out of them. The 18.13 JSB Exact Jumbo Heavy, H&N 21.14 Baracuda pellets are the top performers out of both guns. we can shoot 10 shot 1/2" and under groups at 25 yards all day long with either pellet. I personally like the H&N's. Another thing that I like is they both shoot 14.3 Crosman Premiers and those you can buy at Walmart. A great choice for just plinking and still very accurate shot a 10 shot group that was under 1/2"@25yards the other day with Premiers. The one thing I did do to my rifle was adjusted the trigger look on youtube a few videos that can help you fine tune the trigger. I wish your daughter good luck with her Gauntlet I'm sure she will enjoy shooting it. Jon
Do you happen to know the fps you're getting with the Jumbo Heavies?

PerkyVal My sons rifle is shooting faster than mine. His was shooting the 18s at about 770-780 and mine was right at 750fps. I'm adding a shim to my regulator to boost performance a bit. My gun came in a little on the slow side but still very accurate. If I have time tomorrow I'll run some JSB 18s though the chrony and give you an exact speed. But I'm almost sure those were the numbers. His shot 15gr Beeman field target specials at an average of 833fps and mine shot the same pellets at 806fps ave. hope this helps.

Mine inside of 30 is not picky at all, just about anything but the most rot gut pellet will do quarter sized groups at that distance. At 50 it starts to get a little more picky. I have been out of about everything in JSB land so all mine has had is H&N stuff. Barracuda match it seems to like more then field target trophy....it also liked the H&N sniper pellets....the light worked but really moved around in the wind.

I thought I had more chrono numbers for this gun but found only one saved.....the FTT ran at an average of 823.94 Standard dev 5.2 min 815 max 832 that was over a 19 shot string with 3 errors on the string.

Hope this helps.