• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

gamo swarm fox or umarex syngeris

Airgun rule #1: The fps numbers by itself on the box are stricly marketing speak only. It doesn’t say anything about the performance at all, let alone make a comparison between two. The reason why they still put those numbers on the box is because it sells! (Mine is bigger/faster/smarter then yours!) Not so much in the serious airgun stores anymore, but still in the Waltmart/Target types where the uninitiated people get these as toys. Yes, although the airgun world is growing rapidly, most ppl still see them that way, firearms are the real mccoy. Airguns are just toys for kids (young and old) because the bb guns of old is what they grew up with and still their only knowledge about them.

About the higher numbers a funny side note on this is that the Dewalt 20V cordless tools in Europe are branded the Dewalt 18V cordless tools. (as such printed on the batteries and the tools) As are in fact ANY of the other toolbrands out there in the US, they are really 18Volts. (in EU it is prohibited by legislation to mislead customers with false performance claims) But some tool manufacturer in the US put 20V on them, So it looked ‘higher’ performing as the number was more than 18, so Dewalt had to follow, because if they had stated 18V(again; which they ALL really are...) , that would be less than 20, And then they would be rated by the buying public as worse than the other brand, right! So the 18V are called 20V in the US as that makes them equal to the competition... And all the other cordless tool companies followed suit of course ;-)

Ok now back to the program:

The fps only holds merit if it’s in conjunction with a pellet weight and or an energy level stated. If it’s not then they are derived from the very lightest alloy pellets and they are most likely garbage for accuracy. But hey a large number looks great, so it must be good! (As explained above: for sales it still is ;-) )

The Unarex comes with a very finicky loading magazine, rotate the plate put the first pellet in backward(!) then do the rest of the pellets. Looks like a copy of the marauder type. A lot of Americans love the mag, but it’s still a very awkward way of loading pellets. (I’ll probably get roasted for this as for many it’s the magzine they grew up with, so it holds sentimental value...)

They both come with a fixed parallax scope, which is fine for plinking beercans, but if you plan to do anything “serious’ with the gun (i.e. hunting or target shooting where you want to have the utmost accuracy), get rid of the scope immediately! Fixed parallax is fine for firearms shot at 100y and more, but not for airguns shooting from 10 to 50 yards!

As for accuracy both are new so probably not many ppl have experience with them yet, you want to search for reviews on UT, then you can see how they perform. As they are both entry level, I suspect that they are more targeted (pun intended ;-) as plinkers, but maybe you could be getting reasonably accurate results (say 1,5 - 1,75 inch at 25 yards). But you have to try all different pellets to see which perform best for that particular gun.

The magazine set up on the swarm fox looks the same as on the swarm maxxim and magnum. I have both and haven’t had a single problem with loading the magazine or the magazine not working properly. The only thing that one might call an issue is if you use a pellet with a short skirt such as Crossman pellets it may be kinda tough to get the pellet seated into the magazine until you break in the retaining o-ring that holds the pellets in place in the magazine, but I’ve never had an issue loading JSB pellets, or anything else. You might have to give it a bit of a push to fully seat any of the pellets for a little while until the o-ring is broken in.

If the fox runs the same trigger as the maxxim I like it but I’m not a trigger snob, I more or less adapt to whatever the gun may have on it. 

I can’t speak for the umarex. Hope this helps you a little bit

The Swarm Maxxim weighs less with the scope and a full magazine than many of the other options. It is fairly quiet, fairly accurate, and being able to produce a fast follow up without loading a pellet is worth the price if you hunt.

The Magazine has been 100 percent except when I loaded it with Gamo Redfires. Don't do it. It handles Superpoints just fine. The one here is a .22 I bought for a grandson not yet big enough to handle a heavy rifle, but it has made me wonder why I handle a heavy rifle myself. The trigger is very usable for hunting purposes.

The 95 is nicer to ;look at, and has a little better trigger, but it is single shot and pounds heavier.

The Trail is quieter, but also weighs a lot with the scope.

They all have things to recommend them. The weight and the magazine of the Swarm make it the better choice for hauling all over the hills hunting, and the magazine feature makes it the winner for hunting among the three. 

From my experience, the Gamo will be more accurate so I’d go with the Gamo. Now, one thing I’d like to mention is that you should always take the the FPS that you see on the box with a grain of salt. Never believe what the box claims because usually it’s just a marketing ruse used to lure you in. Try and watch a review if there is one. If not, then make sure you can return the rifle within 30 days of purchase. With that being said, watch out for returning fees. From pyramydair, if you return your rifle without proper reasoning, they’ll charge a restocking fee (e.g. a good reason to return it would be by saying that it’s inaccurate). Lastly, don’t be myopic. By that I mean make sure to consider other choices too. Anyways, best of luck!

My dad and I share a Gamo Swarm Maxxim. We've put close to 2,500 pellets through it and it's definitely shooting better as a settled/broken in gun. The OEM Gamo scope is not all that good. Dad is too tight to upgrade it. We both experienced loader/magazine problems--his worse than mine. For me, I had to buy additional magazines due to chipping (which I guess was just defective mfg) in the magazines that allowed pellets to drop out when loading. Very frustrating but fixable with a new magazine. Dad some how bent the guide springs on the loader--twice. We ordered a replacement and fixed it the first time; then he bent them less so a second time. The second loader still works but is much more fragile.

Since I haven't read many others with similar stories, I suppose that we've had exceptional bad luck with an otherwise great gun.

Arch_E