• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Gamo Gamo Arrow review, internals, tuning, shot strings, etc

This review is for a Gamo Arrow .177 which I have shot every day for over a week, at least 1000 pellets through it.
Photos are at the end.

Out of the box performance

Out of the box you get 4 magazines (40 shots) in the 865-900 FPS range with crosman Premier 10.5 grains.
7-8 grains pellets will be over 1000 FPS, and will be innaccurate at this speed.

Build quality

On the outside everything is synthetic.
The receiver is entirely synthetics.

The metal screws which hold the left side receiver plate will screw into this synthetic/plastic.
Metal screws in plastic will not last very long.

The internal parts are also mostly synthetic, except for the hammer, hammer spring, bolt, etc.

The barrel shroud and the right side of the receiver seem to be one big piece of plastic.
It is impossible to remove the barrel without destroying the shroud, and making the rifle useless.

Two plastic straps hold the air tube attached to the shroud.
The valve is attached to the air tube and you can get them both out of the rifle without degassing.

The super smart guys at Airgun Depot call this plastic "high-quality, firearm-grade synthetics": https://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-arrow.html
I do not have firearms, but I doubt I would buy any if they were made like this.

Noise

Out of the box the rifle is reasonably quiet.
It is substantially more quiet than a Gamo Urban and slightly more quiet than a Umarex Notos.
With a weaker hammer spring (and lower power), the noise goes substantially down, enough to make it backyard friendly.

Internals and partial disassembly

The disassembly involves:
-remove the 2 stock screws
-remove the stock
-remove the 4 small receiver screws,
Hold the receiver plate because it can pop out.
-remove the receiver plate
Do the reassembly in reverse order.
Internal photos are attached.

Do not shoot the airgun disassembled because the 2 plastic straps holding the air tube will detach, and some screws will fall out :).

Tuning

The main tuning involves changing the hammer spring, since there is no hammer spring adjustment.
The original hammer spring dimensions are: 1.1-1.2mm wire, 11.5mm outer diameter, 67.5mm length

For my hammer springs I have used this: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800219014836.html
I have made 2 springs:
-52-53mm long for lighter pellets
-62-63mm long for heavier pellets (Crosman 10.5 grains)

When cutting the hamnmer springs the maximum velocity with Crosman 10.5 grains was around 960-965 FPS which gives about 21.5 FPE.
If you want more power you will probably have to drill out the transfer port.

Another option (if you have a lathe) is to make your own transfer sleeve/port with different diameters.

Shot strings

Stock hammer spring
865-900 FPS for 40 shots starting at 3400 PSI with Crosman Premier 10.5 grains

62-63mm hammer spring
895-930 FPS for 40 shots starting at 4000 PSI, with Crosman Premier 10.5 grains

52-53mm spring
870-905 FPS for 40 shots starting from about 3100 PSI with Norma domed 9.1 grains
895-930 FPS for 40 shots starting from about 3100 PSI with Norma domed 8.4 grains
915-950 FPS for 40 shots starting from about 3100 PSI with CPHP 7.9 grains

Accuracy

I have tried 4 pellets: Crosman domed 10.5 grains, Norma domed 9.1 grains, Norma domed 8.4 grains, CPHP 7.9 grains.
At 17-18 yards I could get about 0.5" groups with the Norma pellets.
I tried to shoot past 30 yards at various targets and could rarely hit them.
So accuracy may be acceptable (not great) at a shorter range, under 30 yards.
The barrel cannot be removed (without destroying the shroud and attached receiver), so accuracy cannot be improved by recrowning, etc

Similar airguns

Gamo Arrow retails around $220.
Compare the Gamo Arrow to the Beeman offerings (Chief 2 Plus, underlever 1357/1358, Crosman Icon etc).
For about the same price as the Arrow, the Beeman PCPs have a solid build and good to great accuracy.
The only thing that is better for the Arrow is the shot string which is due to the excellent BSA valve.

Other reviews

Troy Hammer's reviews

Tom Gaylord's review

Airgun Depot review (they obviously want to sell this)

There are several youtube reviews which are usually paid and are a combination of clueless and promoting.

Positives

Excellent shot strings, 40+ shots (4 magazines) with a 30-35 FPS spread.
The Gamo Arrow uses the same (or similar) valve as the BSA air guns (Urban, Buccaneer, etc) which explains the shot strings.

3 years Gamo warranty

Relatively low noise

Cheap magazines

The Arrow uses the same magazines as the Gamo Swarm Gen 1.
The magazines cost less than $15, usually around $12-$14.

Negatives

Accuracy which is acceptable, not great.

Build quality reminding of Crosman/Daisy multi-pumps (Daisy 880, Crosman Legacy, etc).

The cocking bolt/arrow sometimes blows slightly open when shooting which will lose velocity and make lots of noise.
Even after many pellets I kept having this issue.
This is clearly a poor design.

The Foster nipple is located in a very tight spot.
You can use only 2 fingers to attach the fill hose female Foster to it, which makes it pretty hard.

Conclusion

After 8 days and over 1000 pellets I decided I had enough and sent the Gamo Arrow back to the store.

Photos

20240106_154918.jpg20240101_115246.jpg20240106_154951.jpg20240101_115402.jpg20240106_155358.jpg20240106_155012.jpg20240103_145921.jpg20240103_144837.jpg20240105_152441.jpg

20240106_155018.jpg
20240103_143954.jpg

Last edited:
I was tempted by the Gamo Arrow based on mildly positive reviews, or nothing very negative, hoping it will be close enough to the Gamo Urban.
It is far less accurate than the Gamo Urban, with a build on par with a Crosman/Daisy multipump.

When I opened up the receiver I was horrified.
I have never seen a PCP so cheaply made (maybe because I did not buy the Benjamin Wildfire).

Gamo, as usual, managed to add their signature CAT plastic trigger and Whisper Fusion moderator.
It is a Whisper if you are deaf enough.

Gamo marketing in high gear, since Gamo is much better at marketing than actually making good air guns.

Last edited:
I was tempted by the Gamo Arrow based on mildly positive reviews, or nothing very negative, hoping it will be close enough to the Gamo Urban.
It is far less accurate than the Gamo Urban, with a build on par with a Crosman/Daisy multipump.

When I opened up the receiver I was horrified.
I have never seen a PCP so cheaply made (maybe because I did not buy the Benjamin Wildfire).

Compare the Gamo Arrow to the Beeman offerings (Chief 2 Plus, underlever 1357/1358, Crosman Icon etc).
For about the same price as the Arrow, the Beeman PCPs have a solid build and good to great accuracy.
The only thing that is better for the Arrow is the shot string which is due to the excellent BSA valve.

Gamo, as usual, managed to add their signature CAT plastic trigger and Whisper Fusion moderator.
It is a Whisper if you are deaf enough.

Gamo marketing in high gear, since Gamo is much better at marketing than actually making good air guns.
Same here I opened it up and there's more plastic inside than out.

What we see at the top of this page is a simple straightforward review. Some guys and YouTubers make it sound so hard and time consuming. Nobody1’s review is all a consumer needs to help make a decision. If there are YouTube vidiots making commercials about this gun, someone needs to get on sniper duty and post a link to this in the comments of every video.

What we see at the top of this page is a simple straightforward review. Some guys and YouTubers make it sound so hard and time consuming. Nobody1’s review is all a consumer needs to help make a decision. If there are YouTube vidiots making commercials about this gun, someone needs to get on sniper duty and post a link to this in the comments of every video.
If you are experienced with airguns this review should tell you almost everything you need to know.
If you want to see guys shooting an airgun for 10 minutes, maybe even running around doing it, then go to youtube.

I have an Arrow and out of the box, found it surprisingly loud based on what the popular "review" videos on YouTube told me. I'd say it is about as loud as a Gamo magnum break barrel.

Thanks for your personal experience and write up.
That what I been saying, but most YouTuber are saying It super quiet. My oldest son Hatsan flash is a lot quieter out of the box.

My friends Arrow is ok accurate out to 50 M, the worst thing about seem to be it like to eat / break breech O rings, in this rifle placed on the pellet probe.
Shooting twigs at 25 M my friend cut them down as fast as i do with my lot more expensive rifles.

The loudness on it i feel is OK, but for us it do not matter much as there is 1/8 mile or so to the nearest neighbour.

As i recall his seem to favor the H&N barracuda hunter. ( 4.5 mm )

This review is for a Gamo Arrow .177 which I have shot every day for over a week, at least 1000 pellets through it.

Out of the box performance

Out of the box you get 4 magazines (40 shots) in the 865-900 FPS range with crosman Premier 10.5 grains.
7-8 grains pellets will be over 1000 FPS, and will be innaccurate at this speed.

Build quality

On the outside everything is synthetic.
The receiver is entirely synthetics.

The metal screws which hold the left side receiver plate will screw into this synthetic/plastic.
Metal screws in plastic will not last very long.

The internal parts are also mostly synthetic, except for the hammer, hammer spring, bolt, etc.

The barrel shroud and the right side of the receiver seem to be one big piece of plastic.
It is impossible to remove the barrel without destroying the shroud, and making the rifle useless.

Two plastic straps hold the air tube attached to the shroud.
The valve is attached to the air tube and you can get them both out of the rifle without degassing.

The super smart guys at Airgun Depot call this plastic "high-quality, firearm-grade synthetics": https://www.airgundepot.com/gamo-arrow.html
I do not have firearms, but I doubt I would buy any if they were made like this.

Noise

Out of the box the rifle is reasonably quiet.
It is substantially more quiet than a Gamo Urban and slightly more quiet than a Umarex Notos.
With a weaker hammer spring (and lower power), the noise goes substantially down, enough to make it backyard friendly.

Internals and partial disassembly

The disassembly involves:
-remove the 2 stock screws
-remove the stock
-remove the 4 small receiver screws,
Hold the receiver plate because it can pop out.
-remove the receiver plate
Do the reassembly in reverse order.
Internal photos are attached.

Do not shoot the airgun disassembled because the 2 plastic straps holding the air tube will detach, and some screws will fall out :).

Tuning

The main tuning involves changing the hammer spring, since there is no hammer spring adjustment.
The original hammer spring dimensions are: 1.1-1.2mm wire, 11.5mm outer diameter, 67.5mm length

For my hammer springs I have used this: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255800219014836.html
I have made 2 springs:
-52-53mm long for lighter pellets
-62-63mm long for heavier pellets (Crosman 10.5 grains)

When cutting the hamnmer springs the maximum velocity with Crosman 10.5 grains was around 960-965 FPS which gives about 21.5 FPE.
If you want more power you will probably have to drill out the transfer port.

Another option (if you have a lathe) is to make your own transfer sleeve/port with different diameters.

Shot strings

Stock hammer spring
865-900 FPS for 40 shots starting at 3400 PSI with Crosman Premier 10.5 grains

62-63mm hammer spring
895-930 FPS for 40 shots starting at 4000 PSI, with Crosman Premier 10.5 grains

52-53mm spring
870-905 FPS for 40 shots starting from about 3100 PSI with Norma domed 9.1 grains
895-930 FPS for 40 shots starting from about 3100 PSI with Norma domed 8.4 grains
915-950 FPS for 40 shots starting from about 3100 PSI with CPHP 7.9 grains

Accuracy

I have tried 4 pellets: Crosman domed 10.5 grains, Norma domed 9.1 grains, Norma domed 8.4 grains, CPHP 7.9 grains.
At 17-18 yards I could get about 0.5" groups with the Norma pellets.
I tried to shoot past 30 yards at various targets and could rarely hit them.
So accuracy may be acceptable (not great) at a shorter range, under 30 yards.
The barrel cannot be removed (without destroying the shroud and attached receiver), so accuracy cannot be improved by recrowning, etc

Similar airguns

Gamo Arrow retails around $220.

Other reviews

Troy Hammer's reviews

Tom Gaylord's review

Airgun Depot review (they obviously want to sell this)

There are several youtube reviews which are usually paid and are a combination of clueless and promoting.

Positives

Excellent shot strings, 40+ shots (4 magazines) with a 30-35 FPS spread.
The Gamo Arrow uses the same (or similar) valve as the BSA air guns (Urban, Buccaneer, etc) which explains the shot strings.

3 years Gamo warranty

Relatively low noise

Cheap magazines

The Arrow uses the same magazines as the Gamo Swarm Gen 1.
The magazines cost less than $15, usually around $12-$14.

Negatives

Accuracy which is acceptable, not great.

Build quality reminding of Crosman/Daisy multi-pumps (Daisy 880, Crosman Legacy, etc).

The cocking bolt/arrow sometimes blows slightly open when shooting which will lose velocity and make lots of noise.
Even after many pellets I kept having this issue.
This is clearly a poor design.

The Foster nipple is located in a very tight spot.
You can use only 2 fingers to attach the fill hose female Foster to it, which makes it pretty hard.

Conclusion

After 8 days and over 1000 pellets I decided I had enough and sent the Gamo Arrow back to the store.

Photos

View attachment 424936View attachment 424931View attachment 424937View attachment 424932View attachment 424940View attachment 424938View attachment 424934View attachment 424933View attachment 424935

View attachment 424939View attachment 425018
I didn’t know you can take a new gun apart, modify it and then return it. Ballsy No one cares about the next guy I guess

I must have gotten lucky and landed a good one. LOL, it's a pile of plastic and synthetics for sure but it shoots well. It's very quiet. I purchased the Arrow for my son to plink around the back yard and woods with me. It mostly stacks RWS 14.5g Field Line and Crosman 14.3g Hollow Points at 25 yds. At 50 yds, on a good calm day, it will hold sub 3/4" groups with 1 or 2 of ten out of group but not by much. Still has the occasional fliers like any other air gun. Not bad for the $ IMO. I had to clean the barrel extensively out of the box though. As long as the barrel remains relatively clean it keeps up its performance. I polished the barrel well and that made it less fussy over ammo, stretched cleaning intervals, and tightened up groupings. My son doesn't take it easy on anything either. If he goes shooting with me, I'm going to fill that gun 5 or 10 times. Kid puts that rifle through its paces for sure. You get what you pay for, and IME this Arrow is not so bad. Just needed a little TLC out of the box. After all manufacturers only go so far. Especially at that price point.

I must have gotten lucky and landed a good one. LOL, it's a pile of plastic and synthetics for sure but it shoots well. It's very quiet. I purchased the Arrow for my son to plink around the back yard and woods with me. It mostly stacks RWS 14.5g Field Line and Crosman 14.3g Hollow Points at 25 yds. At 50 yds, on a good calm day, it will hold sub 3/4" groups with 1 or 2 of ten out of group but not by much. Still has the occasional fliers like any other air gun. Not bad for the $ IMO. I had to clean the barrel extensively out of the box though. As long as the barrel remains relatively clean it keeps up its performance. I polished the barrel well and that made it less fussy over ammo, stretched cleaning intervals, and tightened up groupings. My son doesn't take it easy on anything either. If he goes shooting with me, I'm going to fill that gun 5 or 10 times. Kid puts that rifle through its paces for sure. You get what you pay for, and IME this Arrow is not so bad. Just needed a little TLC out of the box. After all manufacturers only go so far. Especially at that price point.

I had the .177 which may be less accurate than the .22.

In .22, I already have the Gamo Urban (made by BSA) which is really accurate.
I doubt that the .22 Gamo Arrow will come close to the accuracy of the Gamo Urban.
So I hear. I'm regretting not getting the Urban now. However, this Arrow is working great for its use case so until it craps the bed, sling led it will! I found a place in the low part of the action at the back where a retainer nut seats into the plastic shell and a set screw could be used to adjust the hammer spring. Seems they left the parts out of the synthetic model. A trip to the hardware store and you could make it adjustable. I wonder if the wood stock versions have these parts missing as well.