• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Royale 500. Trials and Tribulations.

After much negotiation with my domestic godess(wife),I was allowed to order a FX Royale 500. It arrived yesterday and excited doesn't explain how I felt.
Well,the excitement is well and truly gone.What a letdown. Got it home last night(Friday) and proceeded to fully charge it with the new FX 4 stage pump.Quick connector wouldn't seal,so after many attempts to hold it and pump,turn it a bit,tighten fittings I gave up. Went back to the dealer this morning because I told my 14 year old son he was in for a fun day at the range.Couldn't swap the pump because they are ordered in,but did swap the hose and quick connector with his own to get me going(Thanks Eric).
Checked it was working and in order at the shop(but did not give it a full 220 bar,only about 150).Got home and went to top it up to the full 220 bar,bled it off and the connector wouldn't release.I decided to unscrew the large brass fitting at the particulate filter and heard it hiss.Why hadn't it fully bled out?Stopped hissing,so I unclipped the connector. Eager to try my new acquisition I dismissed it.
At the range,first sight in at 20 metres,missed a 2' by 2' target.Cut a long story short,maxed out on the elevation and still about 4" low at 50 metres.Will get some adjustable scope rings.The upside and the only upside is, it grouped about 3/4" at 50 metres although a bit low in windy conditions.My capabilities will improve I hope with more range time. Topped up to about 180 bar no problem.Bleed air disconnect pump.No problem.My son (second time shooting) groups them better than me and even shows me what he's learnt off Utube and holds over to compensate for the maxed out scope and punches a thumb hole in the middle of the target. Smartarse.
At home again and pumped it again to 220 bar,same problem.Can't unhook the hose.Again slowly unscrewed the filter fitting to let air out.This time it drained the bottle to empty and at low pressure began leaking out the breech.
To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.I'm not sure if it is a pump issue or a gun issue as both are new,as am I.Back to the shop on Monday.Back to the Gamo CFR tomorrow to keep my boy happy. 

Sounds like an issue with the pump or at least I am hoping it is because I don't want to hear about any problems with a Royale 500, especially as mine is in transit somewhere between Vic. & QLD. What pellets are you using? JSB Kings and King Heavies or H&N's? What scope do you have mounted on this fine rifle for the elevation to be maxed out before it reaches 50m? What shot count did it manage before refilling, I would be interested to know what to expect but mine should have a reg. installed, fingers crossed the boys remembered to do that for me,lol

Strikey,I hope it's the pump.Why it won't bleed properly is a mystery.Now the gun is totally empty of air and I assume you need some pressure in it for the seals to work so I can't even pump it up to problem solve.I used the FX 25.4 gr that were supplied with the gun.Good for now.The scope is an Optisan Mamba 4-16x44.I like it.The scope rings were freebies.So I won't complain.Makes me think though,why FX make the "no limit" rings.My problem might be a common one.Shot count was about 60-70 on 3rd power setting,but didn't really take notice,just remember showing my son how to load the mag several times and I emptied a couple as well. And I'm not so sure I had a full bottle,maybe 200 bar-3000 psi.Should wear my glasses to look at the gauge properly and get it to full.
Teething problems.That's what I'm telling myself and I won't stress over it. The dealer is a nice bloke and the only down side is time.All the best with yours when you get it.

I would suspect the issue is with your pump. However, I have found that installing and removing the male quick fill adapter off a FX Royale is sometimes a bit tricky. One has to learn how to manipulate the finger within the tight confines of the cutout in the stock.

When I first received my FX400 it was quite frustrating until I finally figured out how to do it. One solution is to purchase the male QF adapter made by FX - for some reason it is a bit easier to both insert and remove. 

I know what you mean Tony,a bit fiddly trying to pull the collar down,but I did manage to do it when the first fitting wasn't sealing-no pressure.Without a bled airline it's impossible.Let alone dangerous.
30cal,as I mentioned,the rings were a freebie.Can't even tell you what they are.The scope seems to work really well as does the gun itself.just need to make the two work together and look/hit the same point.

Yeah,what's got me confused is the first time I cracked open the filter and it released the pressure from the hose.So maybe the issue is in the block at the base of the pump.I'm not familiar with the mechanics of a high pressure hand pump yet,but I'm sure I'll learn quick.The second time it happened,I did the same unscrewing of the filter and it would not stop leaking.Seems like the self sealing mechanism in the male fitting on the gun stayed open.Maybe because I wasn't able to do the quick opening of the bleed valve on the pump.Hope I explained correctly.
The Royale 500 has the power dial on the left side of the breech.It has three markings,1 dot,2 dots,3 dots.Used it on 3 all day.Don't know what's happening there but will swap the scope mounts when I get it back.Cheers Paul. 

Haha.Simple really.The scope mounts have the grubscrew going through the bottom to lock them in place,as recommended with springers.Very important to check that that screw has been backed off when fitting.Or else your scope points unusually high.D'oh.Anyway,I think the humiliation will wear off.With the scope optically zeroed the POI was about 1" left and 1 1/2" low.Easy adjustment.