FX ROYALE 500 or IMPACT .25

Ag5643

Mar 13, 2017
FL
I'm about to bite the bullet on one of these. Hoping someone can help me in the decision making. I have a 400 in .22 that I love. But I come from a military background and the ar style of the impact does appeal to me. Right now I'm leaning towards the impact. I want something to hunt with but still be able to bench. I do have a wildcat in .22 currently but although it is very accurate, I just didn't warm to it. I liked it being compact, it just felt... alien to me if that makes sense. Thanks

Two different animals, IMO. Bullpup vs. Traditional. 
If you want to hunt with it, I'd lean towards the Impact due to its compact size. Also, the magazines hold more shots. You can benchrest with it as well but, you have to put the work in for the tuning and proper shooting technique. 
The 500 is a long rifle, 48" I think. That can make it difficult to maneuver through the woods easily. You'd have to check the weight of both but, if they weigh the same, the 500 would seem like it weighed more due to the length. 
Tom

I'll admit, I've never held an impact, but to me I just don't see bullpup there. It reminds me very much of an M4. Not that that's what I'm looking for. I am at home shooting a long rifle or an AR style compact. The wildcat is to me a bull pup. I love it, and I can shoot it well, it just, well it just feels off. It is not the weight, I prefer a lighter rifle when shooting off hand, and on a long day of walking. I also don't mind the added weight of a long gun, when there may be a bit of sit and wait. I like shooting both types equally from a rested position. as far as skill behind the trigger, my targets are never greater than a dime size and the majority of my shooting is done at 50 meters which is the range I shoot daily. Yard is only so big unfortunately. So if given that skill behind the trigger is equal on both, which would you have faith in when putting lead down range? 

I have had the Boss ,.30cal and it is better on a bench rest and delivered 1.1", five shot groups@100 yds.. I sold it and got an Impact. 30, as I was hunting in tall sage brush in Nevada. The Boss , like the Royal was too long for my hunting needs. Plus, I wanted a adjustable power wheel for back yard quiet shooting in .30 cal.

However, My brother has a Royal 500 that will deliver 1.25", five shot groups at 100yds and with the power wheel on low, is quieter than my MRod .177! The Royal can be mouse fart quite! If the longer barrel doesn't hamper your shooting style, it is a fine gun! Nice wood selections too!

I have had an Impact and Wildcat in .25. I currently still have the Impact and recently got a .177 barrel for it. I intend to use it for field target competition. The gun is very accurate and I love the adjustability I have with it. I had the option to keep the Wildcat, and buy a streamline in .177 or get an Impact and chose the impact. It was no cheaper to get the Impact rather than have the 2 guns, but I wanted the adjustability that came with the Impact, the use of picatinny mounts, the larger bottle (this doesn't affect you in your case), and the ability to switch out barrel if I wanted to. 

I will say that although switching barrels only takes a minute to do, I don't see myself changing it all that often. They are definitely both great contenders and it's really going to come down to your personal preference. Do you want to have lots of adjustments or a larger, arguably more robust gun? They really will both suit you well.

Thanks fro the replies. I think I am going to go with the Impact since I already have a Royale. I Like the idea of being able to really fine tune it as well as having One gun to rule them all so to speak. So my next question, How is it in .177? Shot count and so on. I do intend to mainly use it in .25, but being able to swap it to the caliber I grew up using the most as a kid is pretty nifty. And just so happens to be in stock.

"aa_limited"what is the shot count of the impact set to 18 foot pounds? anyone know?
I have mine set to 20ft/lb on .177 and from a 220bar fill to about 130 is about 165 shots. I think you can get close to 250 shots on a full fill at 250bar down to your reg pressure, but I need to fill by SCBA tank to find out for certain. I have the reg set to about 110bar, and the hammer spring on the second line.

I have a Impact, its 3 months old and I'm not impressed with it. The air gauge is leaking and speaking of gauges, That gauge is 25 bar low. So I figure the reg gauge is probably just as bad. If I had to do it again I would go back to a 500. Never had a problem with mine to the day I sold it to buy this Impact. From what I read its just one thing after another.