• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Royale 500 and Prairie Dogs

I went out Saturday for a couple of hours to prairie dog town about 3 miles north of me. The farmer/rancher raises Red Angus cattle so they are glad to see me show up to help with the varmint problem they have. Sometimes I'll take my Savage 22LR or Marlin 17HMR but for a more of a challenge I'll use my air guns as well. The wind was fairly bad, 10-15mph and it seemed to never be blowing out of the same direction. Shots past 65-70yds were really tough that day so I kept most of my shots from 40-60yds. I had several know kills where the PD was setting on top of the borrow and they collapsed back down into the hole and were un-retrievable. The FX 500 shooting the heavies is an ideal gun for the little vermin.
Jimmy
cec942371c777cc22400b7bfcfc6539e.jpg

I met the land owners son inlaw going into the pasture. I walked over to say hi and he asked me if I brought enough pellets. Told him yeah but maybe not enough air since I just filled the gun and didn't bring an air tank. Figure for the time I had to shoot it would be plenty, which work out perfectly. He said "shoot um all", lol. These Red Angus are registered so they have a fortune tied up in them. The bulls are huge, about as big around as they are tall, but seem pretty docile though..

Z-ski, this was actually my first trip with the 500. I have taken my 25 Marauder back when I had it and after I got my Vulcan it became my truck gun. Most shots are out the window and the others are off the hood of the truck. My longest kill was 127yds with the Vulcan Tactic. Was wanting to stretch the distance out on 500 but the wind was killing me. Maybe next time.
Jimmy

Jimmy are you left handed? The reason I ask is because I am and the truck mirror makes for a very good gun rest for long shots, lefties have it over righties when it comes to hunting out of a truck. So far my longest shot was a head shot on a ground hog @ 90 yards but have been practicing 150 yard beer can shots, really want to pop a crow at that distance. We don't have PD's in Maryland so crows will have to do. LOL