• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX pocket chrono problems

Peashooter

Apr 9, 2021
Denmark
So lately my chrono have been acting up, and not really wanting to measure / say anything.
My first fix was to calibrate to +0.1 and that also worked for that session, but then this weekend it was back to only wanting to do a few shots after profile change.

My end solution ( annoying one ) was to delete the app and install it again, but that annoying meant that i lost all my custom profiles

Anyone else had their FX chrono back itself into a corner like that ?

I am using rechargeable batteries and have 4 sets, naturally they are always charged, i think if that was the problem a reinstall of the APP would not have changed a thing.
The setup have been rock solid for months.

I assume power is the reason we have still not seen the inline chrone from FX, as it unlike on the Daystate rifles are not powered by the rifles large battery

Peashooter,
My FX Chrono has been doing something similar lately.
I pulled it out of my gear bag several weeks ago and put it on the gun per usual. Nothing. It turns on just fine, the app says it's connected, shows battery level at almost 95% but it won't read any shots or do anything. I tried it on a second rifle and also a Crosman pistol with no luck so I'm assuming the unit died after only a couple years use. Put in brand new batteries just in case......no change. Tried all the usual gymnastics with placement of the unit, you know - move it forward, move it back, twist it to the side, etc. with no luck either. Deader' than a doornail! When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, its really frustrating.

But, I haven't thought about deleting the app and reloading it till I saw this thread. I'll give it a try this week and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: maxtrouble
Peashooter,
My FX Chrono has been doing something similar lately.
I pulled it out of my gear bag several weeks ago and put it on the gun per usual. Nothing. It turns on just fine, the app says it's connected, shows battery level at almost 95% but it won't read any shots or do anything. I tried it on a second rifle and also a Crosman pistol with no luck so I'm assuming the unit died after only a couple years use. Put in brand new batteries just in case......no change. Tried all the usual gymnastics with placement of the unit, you know - move it forward, move it back, twist it to the side, etc. with no luck either. Deader' than a doornail! When it works, it works great. When it doesn't, its really frustrating.

But, I haven't thought about deleting the app and reloading it till I saw this thread. I'll give it a try this week and report back. Thanks for the suggestion.
I bought one when they first came out but does this same thing. App deleted/re-added, no change. I went back to my Caldwell, always works and consistent app results.

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Not sure that this will help but I have found that when you close the chrono app after use, it remains in the background just like all apps, ready for use again. If you close that background app by swiping it away, then reopen the chrono app again, it will work just fine.
It seems that leaving it in the 'ready stage' it only reads shots sporadically, closing it from the ready stage remedies that issue.
Hope that this makes sense and helps.
mike

Reactions: cavedweller
Mine only missed the occasional shot before, like 1 in every 10 magazines at worst ( 21 shot magazines )
After reinstall of the APP yesterday the chrono did not miss a shot in 2 hours of shooting ( man i tell you my arms and back,,,,, lets just say after this weekend i wish i had a GF / wife that could lube me up with after sun lotion, or i was not so bloated i could reach myself. :LOL:

I can also sort of rule out my phone as it have not seen any updates for months if not a year, as i recall i am on android 10, otherwise APP update are known for throwing spanners in the works, at least when it come to dashcams and their associated APPs, this go for both ffruit phones and the android ones, though to me it do seem like a fruit phone are almost a guarantee for problems with a IOS update.

Maxtrouble,
I concur. Observations of my FX Chrono:
Pro's: It's light and highly portable. When it works correctly, it's great. Like being able to email the saved data to my home computer.
Con's: Have to fiddle with barrel placement a lot to get it to start reading shots. Seems to miss quite a few shots for no apparent reason.

Revoman,
That's a good suggestion also. I "normally" close most all of my apps like you say when I'm done with them so in my case this isn't the issue.

Douger,
That sounds like a good suggestion also. Maybe firmware or software bug fixes?

Reactions: maxtrouble
No i have not taken it apart, that is however next on the agenda if it insist on acting up.

I dont have APPS running on my phone in general, i delete APPs dont install one unless i am very sure i need it, SOSH media ASO you will also not find on my phone, all notifications are off, hell so are the ring tone, and that vibrator thing i leave that for the girls.
I do identify as a avid phone hater, so on a bad month i talk on it for 3 hours, 1 - 2 hours are the norm, and if i use more than 2-3 Gb data it is also bad.

Have you checked that the sensor is seated on the circuit board.

Not sure what that looks like exactly, but there's not really much inside one of these chrono's. A couple of (what appear to be) circuit boards and a little wiring.
I'll take the cover off and look for what appears to be a sensor. Is it a "plug in" item or is it something soldered to the circuit board?

I dont know either, but i am on board with a kickstarter dashcam, that also have radar and have posted pictures of the radar PCB
I would assume as only a wanna be geek, that it is not that much uncommon for most on PCB antennas in the short wavelengths.

177c199e6c63afbc9bed674b5b11fda7_original.png

This radar PCB are meant for installing just below the lens of the dashcam, hence its somewhat circular design, the PCB could of course be just about any shape.

I would assume in the pocket chrono it is part of the main PCB or maybe connected to that with a multi lane flat ribbon connector.

There are header pins on the sensor that can work loose. Just pop the 4 screws out and take a look, you will notice if it is pulled out or not, just push back in and you should be good.

These things chew through batteries quite quickly, so I would look for the mod explaining how to connect a battery bank. When you open the chrono you will see two tabs where you can solder in a USB cable for the power. This will give you unlimited power while shooting ;)

Just in case anyone is interested in modding these....

I will not mod, but i think FX should already be selling a V2.0 of the pocket chrono, first and foremost with better battery capacity.
Like maybe a single 3400 MAH 18650 lipo battery.
Even if i dont feel like i need to swap batteries often, and TBH when i shoot the damn thing have been "dangling" on my barrels, and recorded rather long shooting sessions.
Actually i am wondering if there are a buffer in the APP that might be able to overflow / get clogged up,,,,, since people seem to mention things happening down the road.
Myself i have just made profiles for a few different weight classes, so i shoot MRD pellets on the same profile as i use when shooting 13.43 Ko slugs or 13 gr Zan slugs for instance.
otherwise i have not really messes with the APP for the chrono, the only new thing in there is the profile i made for 20 grain slugs.

PS on my Vulcan 3 i cant have the chrono below the barrel as the air tank are in the way, so i have the chrono at a 90 degree angle to the Left, and that have also worked very fine.

Loose connection on circuit board was my problem.

Reactions: Peashooter