• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Panthera barrel system (attachment / support)?

So how exactly are the STX liners secured in the Panthera? Are they re-using the traditional FX liner compression housing and held in the rifle with a set screw(s)?

I'm genuinely intrigued about this specific question as I haven't come across anything that highlights this. I've scanned through some of the promotional videos, but I don't have the time these days to sit through influencer-type content.

Is there a tear-down video that I've missed?

I swear everyone is on FX payroll these days! Can’t go a day without yet another Panthera thread!!!

Yes, I’m bitter cause no Panthera for Qball for Christmas and these threads are just rubbing it in my face!!!😡😭😭
F8F1F437-5DE1-4695-97C4-E2CC14E6E530.jpeg

I swear everyone is on FX payroll these days! Can’t go a day without yet another Panthera thread!!!

Yes, I’m bitter cause no Panthera for Qball for Christmas and these threads are just rubbing it in my face!!!😡😭😭
Is it safe to say that you've watched a bunch of the promotional videos in anticipation and if so, have any described the details of this question?

Is it safe to say that you've watched a bunch of the promotional videos in anticipation and if so, have any described the details of this question?

Hard to tell as the info isn’t that detailed and no tear down videos from ernest yet.

As far I can tell it comes with the carbon sleeve over the liner. The liner appears to be attached at the breach but I can’t find pictures on how, I am assuming similar method as the Dreamline superlite barrel’s jam nut with orings to TP. My guess is the TP is secured with a single or at most 2 grub screws like the Dreamline from the top. Once the shroud is screwed on slide the carbon sleeve between the liner and shroud. Then when the plenum tube is filled the metal tube will expanse and squeeze the carbon liner and then the liner itself. Clever system but that’s just my guess from looking at all the videos and pictures.

Edit: obviously with this many parts to the barrel system proper alignment of all the parts is paramount! Any misalignment would bend the barrel/liner. different temp expansion coefficients or even material thickness will throw POI off! Prop to FX for has the capability to even try this method. Pretty mind blowing precision in design and manufacturing actually.

Last edited:
So how exactly are the STX liners secured in the Panthera? Are they re-using the traditional FX liner compression housing and held in the rifle with a set screw(s)?

I'm genuinely intrigued about this specific question as I haven't come across anything that highlights this. I've scanned through some of the promotional videos, but I don't have the time these days to sit through influencer-type content.

Is there a tear-down video that I've missed?
It wouldn't be too hard to thread that tube on both ends and make a coupler lug on it to stretch it.

I dont think it uses the STX style liner. FX said in a recent video that you wont be able to swap barrels, and you will need to send it in to an authorized repair guy. They also posted here that the new system is extremely rigid because of the plenum clamping down somehow. But who knows, its all marketing at this point. After they start shipping we will get more insight, only time will tell.

Reactions: qball
I dont think it uses the STX style liner. FX said in a recent video that you wont be able to swap barrels, and you will need to send it in to an authorized repair guy. They also posted here that the new system is extremely rigid because of the plenum clamping down somehow. But who knows, its all marketing at this point. After they start shipping we will get more insight, only time will tell.
They said that it IS possible to change liners of the same length and caliber, but not any if the vice versa.

They said that it IS possible to change liners of the same length and caliber, but not any if the vice versa.
Yes possible, but no by the end user. Im sure the community will solve any hurdles and we will be able to figure out how to. But the point was, I think they went with a different style liner. I doubt you will be able to use an Impact liner, as they also said the Panthera is entirely new parts.

If I was worried about the muzzle on my Mav moving around I would install a carbon fibre shroud from BC before anything else.

I have no doubt the Panthera will give high end .22 rimfires a run for their money. My FX is already grouping as well or better than my CZ 452 American and a highly upgraded 10/22 w Volquartsen barrel at 50 yards. Both are very accurate. 22 rimfires.

• Haha
Reactions: mtnGhost
FX would say something like this: through our testing we’ve found that by adding a carbon sleeve the barrel will be more rigid. But wait there’s more….a barrel tensioner is in the work specially designed for the Panthera will be released during summer of 2023.
Did they actually say this or is another gossip from the unknown?
9474DA88-2F16-4F64-BE9D-D7182DF037C7.png

I’ve seen few pics like that:

Reactions: mtnGhost
Did they actually say this or is another gossip from the unknown?View attachment 320802
I’ve seen few pics like that:

From that picture it looks like STX system/barrel with a clamp just like the M3 at the end of plenum. This is interesting because thought FX said after plenum is filled the expansion will compress the barrel so why put a clamp there?

From that picture it looks like STX system/barrel with a clamp just like the M3 at the end of plenum. This is interesting because thought FX said after plenum is filled the expansion will compress the barrel so why put a clamp there?
Sound...
fx said: barrel with plenum is joined : in here ---- pointing on the picatinny/rail “bridge” over... Possibly the plenum will have to be changed with the barrel - if caliber /barrel change required...

Reactions: qball