• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Independence .22 with 18.3 grain JSB's speed?

Ok so I finnaly got to shoot over a chrony yesterday and although it was done indoors and the lighting was a sh$% show I was getting 850fps on average with the 18.3gr and around 900 with the 15.89 gr ...would like to get around the 30 foot pound mark with the 18's question is a quarter turn clockwise on the brass power set screw? half turn?
I don't have access to the chrony so i have to kind of guess at this and would love to hear what you guys have found and also what you shoot the same pellet out of your guns at speed wise!
Thanks so much Jonathan

You are currently at 29.x ft/lbs. A quarter turn will likely put you in the 30-31 range. A half turn, 31-32.

But, before you do any of that, I strongly encourage you to chronograph the gun again with better lighting conditions. Poor lighting can cause significant errors. I know. I chased my tail for a month, 5 years ago, when I was trying to get my Marauder sorted out using a beat-up chrony and a clamp light.

Any speed under 900fps is guaranteed to be stable. Some report being able to drive them as fast as 920 and maintain stability. I found this to be true for .25 caliber, but not so much for .22. My Royale .22 and Bobcat .22 are both adjusted to shoot at 880-890fps, using 18.1's. Basically, this is as fast as I can drive them and still achieve maximum accuracy.

That said, If I was shooting an Independence, I would weigh my "energy decision" on two more factors - the fact that I have to pump the gun and the efficiency (shot count) I could expect. My guess is that you will get one fewer shot per fill if you up the power to 890.

Jonathan - In agreeing with Ted; something to take into consideration when looking to maximize or increase shot velocity with an Independence is the inverse loss of shot count as the velocity goes up. I am going to speculate based upon my .22 Independence use and say with the factory hammer spring adjustment and the 850 ft/sec velocity, you get 3 to 4, match quality shots if the rifle is pumped up to 210-215 Bar and shot down to 150 Bar. Attempting to increase the velocity to near 900 ft/sec will seriously eat into this shot count due to the tiny 22cc pressure chamber. If you are OK with that, and/or more pumping in between shots - I say go for it. But I just thought I would point this out.

In no way am I questioning Ted's knowledge of shooting. In fact he kicked my butt in the second round of the Gun Slinger competition at the recent Pyramyd Cup (hi Ted!). However, I consistently shoot lighter weight JSB's at velocities well over 900 ft/sec in both my Independence and my Royale .22. The Royale shoots the 14.3gr JSB's at a little over 970 ft/sec and VERY accurate. Shooting the same pellets in my Independence at approximately 955 ft/sec also gives great results. Coincidentally, just two days ago I was shooting my Independence indoors at 15 yards. (It was snowing and cold outside) I had been enjoying the stress free shooting on the #1 power setting when I thought I would see the best group I could shoot using the JSB 14.3 gr at the #3 power setting of 955 ft/sec. I tethered the rifle to my regulated tank set to 160 Bar and shot two different magazine groups. The first 12 shot group was almost perfect, just barely larger than the diameter of the pellet itself. The second 12 shot group had two pellets that opened the hole up by about 20% or so, but still a very tight group. If was very difficult for me to concentrate that intensely through that many closely timed repetitive shots. But regardless, JSB 14.3's at well over 900 ft/sec are very accurate in my Independence. My Royale will post nearly the exact same results.

My Royale currently shoots the JSB 18.1 gr pellets in the 905 to 908 ft/sec range and again with very good accuracy results.

Wow thank you so much for your detailed response SPC-Racing, I am really just trying to figure out the best possible hunting accuracy and lethal combination for this gun
and I must admit that without my own chrony I am finding that the task is a bit daunting to say the least lol 
I have harvested half a dozen squirrels and the same amount of pigieons with this rig and the 18 gr JSB's so far and I am very happy with the results I only feel the flight time is a little long and thought that the 16gr or turning up the power would help ....as long as its working though i should just leave well enough alone and stock up on some pellets from my supplier while there still in stock!
thanks again for all your help time and knowledge 
Jonathan

"1kshooter"Ok so I finnaly got to shoot over a chrony yesterday and although it was done indoors and the lighting was a sh$% show I was getting 850fps on average with the 18.3gr and around 900 with the 15.89 gr ...would like to get around the 30 foot pound mark with the 18's question is a quarter turn clockwise on the brass power set screw? half turn?
I don't have access to the chrony so i have to kind of guess at this and would love to hear what you guys have found and also what you shoot the same pellet out of your guns at speed wise!
Thanks so much Jonathan

where is this brass power set screw?????????????????????

"1kshooter"Ok so I finnaly got to shoot over a chrony yesterday and although it was done indoors and the lighting was a sh$% show I was getting 850fps on average with the 18.3gr and around 900 with the 15.89 gr ...would like to get around the 30 foot pound mark with the 18's question is a quarter turn clockwise on the brass power set screw? half turn?
Thanks so much Jonathan
I recieved my 22 cal indy,on high power the 18 gr jsb did 870 fps.,and the 16 gr jsb did 930 fps fyi..kelly