• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact re designed suppressor

So I forget where I had read that the Impact suppressor was going to change from the sliding/retractable design to a fixed/integral design but it has changed. I picked up my Impact in .25 on Wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving. When I opened the case it comes in I lifted the rifle out and tried to expand or pull out the suppressor and it wouldn't budge. Then I noticed there were threads on the end of the barrel and there was something wrapped in some shipping padding so I opened it and found the suppressor. So the new design now looks very similar to a suppressor you would buy for a firearm. You can shoot with it attached or leave it off. It does make a difference no question but I was shocked to look inside and see a hollow interior, no baffles. So the gas escaping the end of the barrel pressurizes the interior of the suppressor and then releases it slower than straight to atmosphere. Then I noticed the suppressor is made of 6 sections, the front section that has the small hole where the pellet and gas exits and the rear threaded section that screws onto the barrel and 4 center hollow sections. So my questions are why did they make it this way? Can it be modified to be quieter? Where would someone find the parts to make the modification? It seems like it would be an extremely easy mod based on this simple design so my final question, for now anyway, is why didn't they make the mods from the factory or why ship a six part suppressor if it didn't need to be modified? I am loving this rifle already, but like most of you on this forum, am always looking for ways to make things better.

Air gun suppressors work best with a slightly different design to devices for firearms. More of the tube is left open to allow the air to expand. They usually still have baffles though, just a few less than firearm designs. 

As with most accesories, there are plenty of aftermarket options to improve things. Greater noise control is usually achieved with a larger device with more room for gas expansion. If the barrel is threaded then you just need to look for one or have one made with the same threads.

Personally, for 25 cal airguns, I prefer to go to one of the custom guys like Neil Clague because most of the off-the-shelf LDCs are too small in diameter to be as effective as I like. A lot of people here like Huggett devices for FX guns. I think you're better off with a Neil Clague for 25 cal and above though. For 22 cal, there are plenty of off the shelf products that work just fine.

My U.S.A. delivered .25 came with the fixed LDC, 4 middle sections, no baffles. Each section has a raised inner lip, designed to capture a baffle that has an edge thickness of between .120" and .125". That baffle edge if machined to the proper diameter would have zero fore and aft play since it would butt up against the section ahead and behind it. Once assembled the outer profile of all sections would still look the same as when it had no baffles. Actual space furnished for each individual baffle when fully tightened is closer to .120", so in my mind's -eye a synthetic compressible baffle made from either nylon or delrin type material would be better on the thicker side, to allow snugging the sections resulting in baffles that do no rattle.

The minimal room left ahead of the muzzle and behind the forward cap's inner cone makes baffles in those locations nearly fruitless, which leaves the spots between the 4 identical mid-sections as the ideal 3 places to play with baffle placement combinations.

This is VERY important !!
It is worth noting, where U.S.A. is concerned, that our Impact fixed LDC is designed in such a way that it is UNLIKELY to fit any threaded barrel commonly found on firearms.

The FX Impact's LDC fits its own proprietary long tube (fixed barrel sheath portion), designed specifically for the FX Impact, which may account for why FX changed the muzzle threads too. Any company that offers a removable LDC that can readily and easily be used as a supressor on a real firearm is walking a high-wire. FX in my view has sidestepped this peril commendably.

It is fine when a registered firearm suppressor readily fits an airgun, the problem arises when an LDC designed to fit that same airgun, can be immediately placed on a firearm. Hence the need to design an airgun LDC that only fits a proprietary mounting system unique to the airgun, and not be cross compatible to any industry standard firearm muzzle threading.
  • The 20mm threads that the FX Impact "Fixed" LDC attaches to, far and away exceed what is viewed as "industry standard" for any small caliber firearm... problem #1 solved
  • The actual barrel threads for the Impact's ST barrel were (I believe) similarly changed to further indemnify FX from playing an unwitting role in any misuse of their product.

Thank you Ziabeam... Curious, what is the inside diameter of the hollow mod sections? Why didn't FX include baffles when the design seems to be similar (hope someone posts a photo) to their factory six-section stackable mod? What others are saying that you can get away with 3 sections (barrel mount piece, one baffle, and end-cap piece) even on the .30 cal when using with the fixed shroud.

Nowadays -that way I understand- most airguns (at least from Europe) are coming with a 1/2" 20 UNF thread on the barrel. The question I have is what threads are on the end of the shroud or the first piece of the mod that fits on it. Because that way you can just attach an after-market mod. I think I read that Neil C. had some issues with the two types of threads on the shroud ends.

This is really confusing, I feel like I am dealing with an Apple-ecosystem product with proprietary changes for whatever reasons.

- What I have is an FX Impact with .22 extendable shroud. This Impact barrel has a 1/2" 20 UNF thread.
- Then I bought from another member here a .25 Long FX Impact barrel kit (fixed shroud/probe) where the barrel has a 1/2" 20 UNF thread, on which air stripper threads on (see photo), and the air stripper culminates with an end-cap of unknown thread-pitch/size that probably fits the FX factory six-section stackable mod and the hollow 4-section mod that your fixed shroud FX Impact came with. To me that hollow-mod you guys are showing looks like an FX factory stackable mod with the baffles never added.
- Then, there is a another type of FX Impact .25 barrel (I became aware of) that has a square pattern shallow crest thread on the barrel end. Not sure what fits on that barrel end.