• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact for Idiots

I’d like to make a case study here that I think has validity. Your world/our world is too complicated. Education does not equal intelligence. Let’s make this clear. That stated, I have a masters degree, went to law school, work in the tech field and still, for the life of me, can’t figure out this FX air gun nonsense. You have so many barrel schematics, and lengths, and naming conventions it boggles the mind. Add slugs to the equation and barrel liners, and now add the bigger bottle that isn’t the main bottle.... JEEZ....... are you kidding me? I bought an FX to shoot to 100 yards in my back yard without having the cops called. It works wonderfully and is dead ass accurate both crown or impact.... it saves me the 12 mile trip to the farm to fire off creedmore or Lapua rounds.... I love it.... but my goodness has this gotten convoluted lately.

It’s like FX said we make the most amazing and accurate air gun on the planet that might draw centerfire shooters into air gunning and let’s make it so hard to understand with so many offerings they just say to hell with it and shoot their 10-22 in the rock quarry instead.

If you really want to grow this modality in the United States you have to make it simple. This projectile goes in the chamber, kills things, and is accurate. 18 different liners and barrels and tubes and the rest, with a price tag of 2 grand isn’t getting any of my creedmore or Lapua friends to even consider airgunning no matter how many pennies they hit at 150 yards with my FX guns,,,,, they can hit the same penny at 800 with one barrel, one round, etc.... 

As far as this sport has progressed we aren’t giving many enticements for centerfire folks like me to really explore this space at least in the US.... by in large the High end guns on the market while accurate as can be... still require tweaking to get to ranges that would impress centerfire shooters and that tweaking is complicated and far too intrusive for the average centerfire shooter who can pick up an off the shelf creedmore at cabelas with a 200 scope and hit golf balls at 500 

MOD EDIT: removed religious references

I get your argument but myself personally the major reason I invested into an Impact, two in fact, is the fact I can use one platform to shoot four different calibers. I like the fact I can make adjustments to my rifles to tune for the caliber and pellet I’ll be shooting, it’s like developing a load for one of my handguns or rifles. If you’re someone who likes to tinker and modify then the FX Impact could be for you, if you’d rather just go shoot (which you can with the Impact too), then their Crown, Dreamline, or Wildcat line ups might appeal more. There’s plenty of great rifles out there that you can pick up for a lesser investment, and higher like Daystate. It’s all about what you want in a rifle and your budget. 

Reactions: sonny
you don’t need an impact to shoot pellets or slugs, there are plenty of other less complicated, less expensive and equally accurate air guns readily available, it really depends on what you want from your hobby. If you just want to pull a gun out of the cabinet and shoot then don’t get an impact, get a springer instead , accurate, cheap and easy to use. There are other (me included) who like the engineering and enjoy the challenge of getting the very best out of a gun, this is where the impact come in, yes it is possible to tune a springer but the impact is more of a challenge for all the reasons you listed.

if I wanted an airgun to shoot .30 pellet/slugs at 100fpe, or to shoot the bull at 100yards, personally I wouldn’t choose the impact, I bought mine to fiddle with, if there was a law passed today that stopped me tuning my own airguns, then I would pack up shooting tomorrow.

Bb

Options are a great thing to have but one doesn't have to utilize the options available ........ There are alot of different manufacturers, tuners and used highly modified rifles in the classifieds, what a great hobby we have. That being said some people just like simplicity and in comparison powder burners fit that description. 😁

Regards Robert

I like the innovation and the fact that a lot of the stuff is backwards compatible. I don’t own an impact, but I like the caliber swaps. From everything I’ve read it seems the slug liner a tends to throw a pellet just as good as the pellet liner, so why make pellet liners? (Maybe they work better for the 12ftlb crowd)

My point is it’s a gun you can build to fit you for your purpose. Just like any other custom gun....

PS Gunware is a short drive from me.... 

I’d like to make a case study here that I think has validity. Your world/our world is too complicated. Education does not equal intelligence. Let’s make this clear. That stated, I have a masters degree, went to law school, work in the tech field and still, for the life of me, can’t figure out this FX air gun nonsense. You have so many barrel schematics, and lengths, and naming conventions it boggles the mind. Add slugs to the equation and barrel liners, and now add the bigger bottle that isn’t the main bottle.... JESUS H CHRIST....... (sorry to offend my religious members here) are you poopting me? I bought an FX to shoot to 100 yards in my back yard without having the cops called. It works wonderfully and is dead ass accurate both crown or impact.... it saves me the 12 mile trip to the farm to fire off creedmore or Lapua rounds.... I love it.... but my god has this gotten convoluted lately.

It’s like FX said we make the most amazing and accurate air gun on the planet that might draw centerfire shooters into air gunning and let’s make it so hard to understand with so many offerings they just say to hell with it and shoot their 10-22 in the rock quarry instead.

If you really want to grow this modality in the United States you have to make it simple. This projectile goes in the chamber, kills things, and is accurate. 18 different liners and barrels and tubes and the rest, with a price tag of 2 grand isn’t getting any of my creedmore or Lapua friends to even consider airgunning no matter how many pennies they hit at 150 yards with my FX guns,,,,, they can hit the same penny at 800 with one barrel, one round, etc.... 

As far as this sport has progressed we aren’t giving many enticements for centerfire folks like me to really explore this space at least in the US.... by in large the High end guns on the market while accurate as can be... still require tweaking to get to ranges that would impress centerfire shooters and that tweaking is complicated and far too intrusive for the average centerfire shooter who can pick up an off the shelf creedmore at cabelas with a 200 scope and hit golf balls at 500

Whatever education degree you have does not give you the basic level of PCP high end product like an Impact.

The answer is very basic. It is a question of taste. Period.

Regards

GQ

That's why god made the American Air Arms Slayer. No stems or seeds, just perfection. It's also why he made the .264 Win Mag shooting the same bullet and powder as the 6.5 Creedmore just faster and flatter!

In all honesty, I completely understand what you're saying. It is one of the reasons I bough a Slayer instead. The second shot with the gun went exactly through the first hole. I thought I missed the target completely, but, like I said, it was just perfection. 

That's why god made the American Air Arms Slayer. No stems or seeds, just perfection. It's also why he made the .264 Win Mag shooting the same bullet and powder as the 6.5 Creedmore just faster and flatter!

In all honesty, I completely understand what you're saying. It is one of the reasons I bough a Slayer instead. The second shot with the gun went exactly through the first hole. I thought I missed the target completely, but, like I said, it was just perfection.

Good for you.

I agree 100% with the OP. 
Analysis paralysis is preventing me from handing over / investing $1000.00 to $2000.00 in one really nice PCP. 
It is difficult enough to choose a manufacturer. And then just last night I realize there are significant difference between the FX Wildcat , Dram Tac annnnd the Impact. So. My Christmas bonus will just sit in my savings account and not in the manufactures account. 
and who knows maybe I’ll come across a used gun and not one of them will get my money. 

ps I was not offended

Don't know, looks pretty simple to me. Unbox; (read the manual) clean barrel, add air and pellets... shoot. 

Like all airguns, you can search for the ideal pellet or with the Impact you have lots of options for fine tuning to the one you prefer.

As far as all the (confusing) options, it is simpler than buying a car - chose the caliber, select the barrel length and press "check out". A .25 caliber with a 600mm barrel is a middle of the road, do most everything choice if you want to keep it simple. I like all the options - I can setup for a particular application knowing that if I should decide to totally change my mind (like going from go from hunting hogs to pesting chipmunks) I can do so without having to buy a completely new gun and still have the choice of swapping calibers whenever the mood strikes me.

Having worked in high-tech my whole career I follow the KISS principle whenever needed. The flip-side is having the flexibility to tinker and tune.

Lots of really excellent airguns available to attract the powder-burner crowd to airguns (been there, done that) - its nice that we have the choice as to what level we want to participate at. 

Cheers!

Hank

I’ve shot springers for years and just jumped into PCP’s this summer. Picked up a Crown Continuum. Perfect out of the box. I have slowly done some tuning but it certainly wasn’t needed to shoot great groups.
I really don’t find any of this sport all that confusing and if I don’t know or understand I just read,read,read, so much info out there. (I’m Master-less both in degrees and religion)

I only shoot my powder burners if I have too. (Sight in for deer season) I just simply can’t afford to shoot them. At least not at the rate I shoot my airguns. I could easily buy 3 new Impacts a year in what I would spend in powder burner ammo alone. Not to mention having to go to a range full of knuckle heads. Drive 25 mins to find no spots. Yelling over ear plugs and gun fire WHAT?? LOW AND LEFT?? You couldn’t get me back into powder burners if they were giving them away.