• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact barrel locking screw not completly "locking" down the barrel

Just discover my barrel locking screw not completely "locking" down the barrel as I was extending the shroud on my Impact by just twisting the telescopic shroud. The barrel locking screw was tighten down when this happen. I verify this with the .22 .25 and .30 barrel and all three barrels are doing the same thing. I remove the screw completely to confirm that the barrel was aligned. When the screw is tighten down the barrel has less movement then when without the screw in place. I have a video which show the small movement on the barrel. The post it paper attached to the barrel is just for visual purpose on the video. I don't know how will this affect the transfer port alignment or POI. Looks to me that the locking screw should be a little longer and more rounded at the tip. Anyone else have this happen with their Impact?

Is the notch on your brass transfer port worn? I just checked all of my barrels. Each one has a tiny bit of rotation, but not that much. 

It is possible that the thumb screws main purpose is to keep the barrel from moving forward & backward? And the notch is to keep it from rotating on its axis? I'm no engineer. I would think that the notch should just help line up the barrel & the thumb screw should do all the work.

I checked the notch on all three barrels and looks to be normal. The thumb screw does do its job on holding the barrel from morning forward. As for holding the barrel from rotating on its axis it's not completely doing its job cause the end of the screw needs to be 1.5mm longer and rounder at the tip. Maybe FX has an updated barrel locking screw. 

I made this which also gives me a much better grip.

2ds06tg.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

e7gdvl.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Nice fix, parrot.

I'm starting to wonder about why they went to the trouble of using brass mated to the barrel vs just using the natural barrel material to mate with the receiver. The only thing I could come up with is they wanted a softer material on the barrel so the barrels would get the scratches and dents during insertion and removal (and I see dents on these) vs the receiver getting scratches and dents. Is the area in the receiver that is around the barrel machined aluminum and not a steel?

I think FX have really let themselves and buyers down with this model.The concept of the Impact is fantastic but I just think they released it to early in to many numbers to satisfy the hoards.
With so many people buying them, it's only logical that problems perceived or actual will be multiplied.I've said it on other threads,they need to pick up on QC,across the whole range because since the introduction of the Impact other existing models have also suffered.
The brass breech is a good idea in my opinion.The constant removal and refitting of barrels is going to flog out that notch and replacing 2 inches of brass will be far cheaper than replacing a barrel,especially a good barrel.