FX Impact back from AoA - Repair reviews begin.

Jack.K pointed me in the right direction too. I have a Joe B tank and got the 1/8 bspp to 1/8 npt double female. It works great! Joe sells them too but price is higher. The threads are very similar but will be smoother on the correct male end. Mine wasn't marked. 
I have the new plate and it is only marginally helpful. When the bipod is on its still a tight fit. I like the zip tie idea, I think I'll try that tomorrow. 

"7deuce"Jack.K pointed me in the right direction too. I have a Joe B tank and got the 1/8 bspp to 1/8 npt double female. It works great! Joe sells them too but price is higher. The threads are very similar but will be smoother on the correct male end. Mine wasn't marked. 
I have the new plate and it is only marginally helpful. When the bipod is on its still a tight fit. I like the zip tie idea, I think I'll try that tomorrow.
If you don't mind me asking (and sorry to go off topic for a second), how much was the 1/8" NPT to BSPP adapter? I was looking for one for ages and couldn't find anything at a sensible price unless I imported from the UK. I ended up using 1/8" BSPP to 1/8" quick disconnect and then quick disconnect to 1/8" NPT as a work around. I'd prefer what you have though...

Thurmond,

I guess I'm now a member of the own a clone club. I ordered the Atlas (or what ever it is) back when I ordered the Impact (last November). I was WAY past the return deadline date.

Kitplanenut, 

I don't have a mill or any other real metalworking equipment to do a nice straight 1/32 cut off each side so I improvised. I looked at the way the cam was sized and decide I could remove about .1" off the cam itself from the midway to fully open point. A quick spritz of black paint and it looks good enough for government work. 

At this point, I don't know if the Impact's rail is off, the mount for the bipod is off, or a little of both. The mount is now firmly attached to the gun when closed and comes off effortlessly when opened. 

Michael,

Thanks for the link to the $9.99 1/8 female to male foster @ Pyramid Air; it arrived this AM with my AA .25 pellets. The AoA plastic needed a bit of trimming off the top to fit right, but it works well now.

Ok, now off to check out the other repairs.

Regulator and .25 barrel repair ---

My comment to AoA on the regulator was "I am seeing 30+ fps variation in extreme spread shots with sorted (weight/head size) pellets. I would expect a regulated gun to be under 10 ES with pellets of the same weight / head size". AoA's repair notes are "Rebuilt regulator" 

I just got done checking the regulator for consistency. Here are three strings from my 20, 30, and 40 yard accuracy checks with the new .25 barrel on the Impact. I forgot to start the recorder on the 50 yard group..

It still shows a 20-30 fps spread over 16 shots. The numbers would be better, but it's always slow on it's first shot (still). I really think a $1900 regulated gun should be under 10 fps with prepared pellets. My "unregulated" Airwolf for example is under 10 fps. The new BWalton BT 65 that is on the way has a ES of 4 and SD of 0 over 14 shots!!

From BWalton:
Here is your shot string @ 220bar fill I tune it for shot count, power, and accuracy.
1-910
2-910
3-908
4-907
5-908
6-910
7-908
8-908
9-910
10-906
11-908
12-909
13-907
14-907
AVG-908
ES-4
SD-0

I think FX could/should have put a better regulator into this gun. I'm an accuracy person, so if I wanted to keep the Impact I'd wind up sending it to Ernest for a aftermarket regulator job. But should that really be necessary? I'll leave that to you folks to answer for yourselves.

On the .25 barrel I returned for repair I commented "I am getting 1+ inch groups at 50 yards with sorted pellets out of both the 25 and 30 barrels. I would expect ½ inch groups or better. My Steyr’s, FWB’s and Daystates all shoot into ¼ at 50 yards".

AoAs repair notes are "Replaced .25 caliber barrel and accurized. Replaced and accurized .30 caliber barrel"

AoA nailed the .25 barrel repair!! Here are groups shot at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards. Each group is a full magazine (16 rounds) of Air Arms 25.4s These are the first 4 groups I've shot with the 25 barrel. I literally just put the scope on the gun (it also went to AoA for review) and shot.

So here is the good news and the bad news with that target. The good news is i now have a very solid .25 barrel. It's putting 16 shots into 1/4 inch at 20, 30, and 40 yards!! It's shooting into a dime at 50 yards! I called out the two shots that I knew I pulled. I have 2 shots at 50 that I can't explain other than maybe pellet damage. I'll do some more groups later, but I bet that .25 barrel with a better fps variation would be 1/4 at 50 yards as well. I also did 10 shots with the Airwolf .22 at 50 for comparison ( I didn't have the elevation turret set right, so I just put the other 9 shots there as well).

Here is the bad news: I reported to AoA "The barrel to scope rail alignment is far enough off that my scope (included) cannot be adjusted to the POI under 40 yards without shimming the rear scope mount with aluminum foil. Needing to shim a $1900 rifle with aluminum foil is not acceptable."

AoA's repair note is "Tested with customer scope and shop scope, both ran out of elevation adjustment. In addition also tested with same result on 2 different barrels. Scope rail is parallel with base to .001 parallelism or less (so is every other one in inventory). Adjustable scope rings are the only answer".

My aimpoint for the Impact was the top row of targets! My scope sits 3.2" over the barrel and at 20 yards and 30 yards the pellet is 2" low on impact even at my and AoAs scopes extreme limits. That tells me there isn't enough upward slant on the barrel in the receiver or downward slant on the scope rail in the current batch of Impacts to send the pellet at an trajectory that crosses over a scopes cross hairs even at the extreme adjustment of my and AoA's scopes. Could this be 'fixed' by a pair of FX No Limit rings? Yep. Am I going to reward FX with buying $80 rings to fix their design or manufacturing issue? NOPE. And that is what I told Kevin at AoA. I think in addition to giving out a free fittings to fix the air fill issues FX should be giving away a free pair of FX no limit rings to fix this issue on any Impact where the owner can't get their scope zero'd from 20-50 yards.

So in conclusion for this part of the repair review, AoA did a great job - and a special call out to Kevin - on trying to address the issues in this post. I just don't think certain items on this gun (or batch of guns) are either designed or manufactured correctly.

Reactions: fe7565
Too bad that FX seems to refused to offer the Impact owners with a new rail module.
Istead of a new rail module they sell those rings as a solution.
Marketing wise this is not smart.
And for their brand values the message is very cheap.
So far I dont have any problem with my Impact but I am pretty sure I will one day.
Of course this rifle is not a simple product and is demanding.
That does not mean that the so called best airgun engeneer in the world cannot appologiged and come back to their fidel owners with an outstanding replacement solution.
They act and react like Donald Trump. LOL.

GQ,

My advise to you (and anyone else) is to THOROUGHLY test your Impact during its warranty period. And if anything is wrong DONT try anything to fix it that might void your warranty unless you have gunsmith skills like Ernest / Ajshoots /BWalton to do all the work yourself.. My gun's repair bill (which was covered 100% under warranty including all the shipping to and from Aoa) was $1432.50!! That is $500 per barrel x 2 and $400 in labor and 32.50 in shipping.

Sharroff
You better beleive I will not try to repair if i have a problem.
And you better beleive I will conduct an important public relation plan if I am having troubles with this Impact.
I dont appreciate BS of any kinds and public relatiion and press relation is my business for 40 years of experience.
I will travel to Sweden if necessary.
Thank you for your advise.
GQ

GQ,

I'm in the security business, not pr, but this thread is my attempt to let folks know what I've been dealing with on my Impact. Yes, I'm sure there are some great Impacts out there, but then there are those like I just got. I don't think there should be that much variation on a CNC product, and I feel bad for folks that don't have alot of airgun dollars or experience that might get this gun without knowing what they might be in for when it shows up on their doorstep. I really think these Impacts should be tested by FX or AoA before they are sent to customers, at least until all the issues are cleared up. It is clear mine was not, 

"sharroff" I think in addition to giving out a free fittings to fix the air fill issues FX should be giving away a free pair of FX no limit rings to fix this issue on any Impact where the owner can't get their scope zero'd from 20-50 yards.

I agree with this fully. As far as shimming or adjustable mounts I automatically use fully adjustable mounts because I optically center my scopes. Found a few new old-stock B-square fully adjustable that work great, I would not recommend Sun Optics adjustable mounts which seem to be inferior copies. To be honest, most probably I would have not figured out that the FX Impact rail is not designed or executed properly.

By the way, very well documented, illustrated, and well proven post on your repair issues and the outcome. Great job!