• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX for Lefty's ?

ITF

Nov 17, 2015
Could anyone offer any info on this Please,
i had always assumed a dedicated FX for a Southpaw was a no go :(
Then I watched some Extreme benchrest footage AOA posted, plus seemed like Fredrick himself was a member of the "Darkside". Lol.
The thought of being able to order a Lefty Impact over a standard would cheer me up no end

My apologies in advanced if this has already been answered elsewhere

Lefty's do get left out a good bit, I just went with a truly ambi stocked rifle and the stock ( raw ) does suit both left & right hand shooters but I left the cocking on the right side so it seems more "normal" to other folks using an airgun for the first time. I know the left hand market is small ( and the resale/used market doesn't exist, and, skipping bullpup with cheek clips & such) but at least truly ambi stock options seem a good thing to me at least as an option.

John

I was in AOA this fall and if you don't mind the lever on the right side (I like it there), both the Impact and Bobcat felt very comfortable. I personally didn't like the "feel" of the Wildcat but would work as well. Believe it or not, I really liked the "feel" of the Verminator. I seem to like the Carbines better. So,as a lefty, I have learned to adapt to a right-hand world and don't feel it is as big a deal as some make out. The bullpups such as the Cricket and Matador where the lever is at the butt of the rifle were uncomfortable to shoulder, but as the video showed, it's your tolerance level. 
Just my take on things,

Doc

I own a wildcat and the rear cheekpiece can be turned around with a little modification to accommodate a lefty. The same screw holes line up but the front would need to be cut where it meets the front cheekpiece and a little dremel work to bore out the magazine area just a little. If your good with your hands and have the right tools this would be very easy to do.

I hunt with my rifle off of shooting sticks. This gets me above the tall grasses and any deposits that the local horses might have made.
I'm a southpaw, but I prefer the bolt on the right side using the FX Gladiator, Hatsan Galation and Vulcan bullpup.
I'm as fast with a followup shot as anyone, and am able to keep a good cheek weld without moving my head. The pistol grip, held by my left shooting hand, stabilizes the rig, and the bolt snick, snicks into action, no muss. no fuss. I understand the Vulcan bolt can be re-positioned to the other side, but I'm used to where it is.
All three guns shoot well enough left handed that I can't think that they would be improved in a mirror image configuration.

I have my arms on backwards too.The Daystate Pulsar looks awesome as a lefty bullpup since it has an ambi stock and a reversible side lever. Many Daystate bolt guns have a reversible bolt as does the Marauder. For a true left handed dedicated gun the RAW can be ordered any way you like. My preference is for a left or ambi stock but with a right side bolt or side lever because: 
A) I am used to guns setup this way from a lifetime of living in a left brained world.
B) It is an advantage from a bipod not to have to break my position to reload. 
C) If I ever choose to sell, there is a broader market.

I'm left handed too and have never liked or owned a right handed bolt action rifle. That being said, I don't mind a right hand side lever, especially a forward position on a bullpup. My first bullpup purchase was an Mrodair P-12. It came with a right hand bolt at the rear of the action. The design is fairly simple so I had a local machinist convert the bolt from the right side to the left. My next bullpup purchase was a Taipan Mutant standard which has a reversible sidelever. I converted it to the left but after using it awhile I switched it back to right hand. I like keeping my left hand on a pistol grip or a thumbhole grip when I'm shooting, especially off of a bench rest. I appreciate the fact that Air Arms and Daystate are both lefty friendly PCP manufacturers. Air Arms has left hand stock options using a side lever and Daystate has both lefty and ambidextrous stocks with easily reversible bolt actions or true lefty bolts in their older models. Given that Fred Axxelson is a left hander himself, I've never understood why FX does not cater at all to left handers. It is not an engineering impossiblity to make reversible bolts, sidelever actions, and ambidetrous stocks and cheekpieces. Left handers make up 10-15% of the population which is a significant market segment to ignore.

,,,, was hoping someone would of chimed in by now , telling us there's nothing to fear . Fx will cater for us Lefty's as equals to those Common,,, right handers ;)
lol
not the end of the World, I'm sure I could get by with the existing config, just would of been nice , whilst shooting Prone off a rear bag or occasionally standing unsupported

"Humdinger"I'm left handed too and have never liked or owned a right handed bolt action rifle. That being said, I don't mind a right hand side lever, especially a forward position on a bullpup. My first bullpup purchase was an Mrodair P-12. It came with a right hand bolt at the rear of the action. The design is fairly simple so I had a local machinist convert the bolt from the right side to the left. My next bullpup purchase was a Taipan Mutant standard which has a reversible sidelever. I converted it to the left but after using it awhile I switched it back to right hand. I like keeping my left hand on a pistol grip or a thumbhole grip when I'm shooting, especially off of a bench rest. I appreciate the fact that Air Arms and Daystate are both lefty friendly PCP manufacturers. Air Arms has left hand stock options using a side lever and Daystate has both lefty and ambidextrous stocks with easily reversible bolt actions or true lefty bolts in their older models. Given that Fred Axxelson is a left hander himself, I've never understood why FX does not cater at all to left handers. It is not an engineering impossiblity to make reversible bolts, sidelever actions, and ambidetrous stocks and cheekpieces. Left handers make up 10-15% of the population which is a significant market segment to ignore.
Oh, I'm sorry, were you saying something? :)

I'm really sorry to resurrect this thread from a thousand years ago but I just wanted to add that I am left-handed (actually right-handed but left-eyed, as blind in right eye 🙄) and I can use the Impact no problem at all.

I used to buy left-handed rimfire & centrefire rifles but I found it was generally easier (and obviously much more flexible in terms of availability) to adapt, so I now own and shoot right-handed rifles exclusively.

I'd be interested to hear what issues lefties encounter with the Impact, as I've not found it a problem at all. Sometimes very slightly awkward, at worst.

My only concern with the latest FX Impact is the new large magazines facing the right side of the face while shooting left handed. Any lefties please advise, is it a big problem ? Does the shooter's cheek get "impacted "
1f60b.svg
by the magazine?

No problem at all.