• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning FX DreamTac or DreamLite - Is a barrel band needed?

OK. The weather in TX this past weekend was just too good not to break out the air rifles and do some shooting. I broke out my .25cal DreamTac and was just shooting some groups of Benjamin Domed pellets. The rifle seemed to be shooting OK, but is not quite "tuned" yet. I'm still getting a jagged velocity profile, even though the pellets (unsorted) are grouping inside of 1/2" at 30 yards. I attribute that to "fine tuning" required on my part.

I did notice that the barrel shroud is very lightly touching the air tube. I don't know if this is normal or not (can't remember if that's the way it has always been). FX sells a barrel band for the DreamLine series, but the DreamLite (my original rifle) did not come with a band. So here's the question: Is the band required to get the most out of this rifle? I really want to use the rifle to help me get rid of some pest raccoons, but I want to be sure of an ethical kill and don't want to the rifle to lose zero because it was leaned in a corner waiting for my "pest friends" to arrive. I keep/move the rifle in a soft case, but have a hard case that works for it too. How sensitive are these rifles to general moving around (normal handling, not banging it around or dropping the case to the floor)?

If the recommendation is to use the barrel band, is there a better location to place the band than another? Closer to the filler cap, midway between the cap and the stock, or close to the stock?

Thank you in advance for any insight/advice.

Cheers,

Bill

I haven't found barrel bands to be a panacea for all situations. I don't have a Dreamline, but I have bands on my Avenger, Wildcat and several pistols. The problems I've experienced are that unless the band is fitted tightly, it can shift. The purpose is to keep barrel aligned at the position you determine when installing it. If it moves (usually laterally) then you get POI shifts that you might attribute to wind or something else. Also, if you need to remove the barrel shroud (say for cleaning) then the barrel position might shift ever so slightly. Again, a potential POI shift from where the pellets were hitting before. I'm not saying "don't get one" — I use them on a couple guns myself. Just beware that they require careful attention as you use them. Black Arts Design makes some of the best around. That's what I use. They are stout and tend to hold their position well. Check the tightening screw(s) often to be sure nothing is loose.

It wouldn’t hurt adding a barrel band into your Dreamline. Both mine, .22 w/600mm barrel and a .177 w/500mm barrel, have them on. Each one is positioned a couple inches in front of the stock. Some would say the position of the band could change the overall harmonics but for me I got tired of the shroud slap and wanted to prevent from a potential barrel shift. 

Thank you everyone for your replies and insight. It looks like I have some more testing to do. First with making sure that everything is tightened up, and shooting some groups with the Benjamin domed pellets, playing with the hammer spring to see if I can get the velocity plot to smooth out some (right now I can only reduce hammer spring on the adjuster, as it is set at MAX). If reducing velocity doesn't help, I will try to raise it by increasing hammer spring tension via allen wrench, before I adjust the regulator above the current setting of 100 BAR. I figure if I can get the velocity to settle out/down a bit more, the grouping will improve. Then I can test with the barrel band on and see what shift there is, if any.

I forgot to mention that my rifle has the 600mm barrel, and I'm using the DonnyFL moderator specifically developed for FX rifles. I bought the setup through Utah Airguns. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I do already have two barrel bands in my possession: one is aluminum and padded on the inside, from an eBay seller that is two pieces held together by allen screws (think of a figure eight split in half from top to bottom); the second one is a barrel band from FX. I will probably try the FX band, since it was "purpose made" for the rifle.

I will try and post back to this thread when I have some results to report out.