• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Crown .25 Magazine problem

Weird. The last pellet has the least amount of tension on it.

True. But, the last pellet is the only one that has the inner "wall" of the mag mechanics against it. What I think may be happening is, the last pellet is being affected by the mag cycling stop bump. 

Of course it sucks that your magazine produces a flier but, the good news is that it's consistent. You know the last one can't be counted on so, you can plan accordingly. 

Tom

1544681359_11228871195c11f78f563bd0.61605797_98259D93-7D20-4A86-BE27-47E7548FF3B9.jpeg

Weird. The last pellet has the least amount of tension on it.

True. But, the last pellet is the only one that has the inner "wall" of the mag mechanics against it. What I think may be happening is, the last pellet is being affected by the mag cycling stop bump. 

Of course it sucks that your magazine produces a flier but, the good news is that it's consistent. You know the last one can't be counted on so, you can plan accordingly. 

Tom

Yeah, not too big of a deal, I just consider the last shot a throw away.

I have 4 mags for my .177 streamline (similar design) with no issues. 

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue.

You might try the FX Masterclass Rotary-Magazine Tuning. My Impact magazine had no problems, but the tuning made it sweet! Less spring tension, and all edges eased. I polished and buffed the surfaces with Renaissance Micro-Crystalline Wax Polish before reassembly.

It may not cure your problem, Gunny, but a better functioning mag is guaranteed. I wish I had a sure fix for you.

Good luck,

John

I noticed that a couple different slots in my crown magazine produce fliers. Some of these suggestions about the FX Masterclass mag fixes may solve it, but I have a hypothesis here: 

We pretty much all shoot JSB. JSBs are soft, and one of their defining characteristics is that their skirts are both thin and wider than the pellet head. This means that the magazine, as it snick-snacks through each indexed position, starts and stops the pellets by pushing on their skirts. My bet is that this is that, in part, this is where the fliers come from. Tapering the slots so that the magazine moves the pellets by the head not the skirt is a possible fix for that. I've been quietly working on a magazine design which is tapered and should eliminate this. Haven't completed it yet though. Doing something like this manually with tools might solve your problem though. 

My 2c. Hopefully something in there was useful. 

I have noticed the same thing on my FX Impact X. It baffled me initially, but if you think about it, once you fully load the magazine, after the first shot is fired and tension is released from the first pellet in the magazine, the last pellet in the magazine is the one under tension and used to push the rest of the pellets around until it is shot off at the end. Hence, the pellet that has the most tension for the longest time, which is used to push the other pellets around the magazine as it indexes, is the last pellet in the magazine, so it should be the most "deformed" when compared to the others. The "indexing" as the pellets are moved around the magazine also creates a "stuttering" effect on the last pellet that was under tension as it is used to push the magazine. 

In a fully loaded 25 cal 16 round FX crown/impact magazine, first and last pellets are subjected to this:

First shot - under the most tension initially, but not subjected to magazine cycling "stuttering" forces.

Last shot - under tension for 15 shots and subjected to magazine cycling" stuttering" forces 15 times till it is shot.

The last pellet in the FX magazine should be a throwaway.

The pellets are not pushing on each other, at least not in my .22 crown. The half circle slots in the mag are the one doing the pushing. Except for the last pellet which have a circular "wall". You can choose to not load the last pellet if you do not want to tune the mag (I would recommend it anyway, at least make sure you do not have more spring tension as necessary). Just leave the slot empty. When you then reload for the last pellet, which is not there if left empty, the mag will skip it, and you will be empty as normal. 

When I'm in the field or on the farms, I always try to top off the mag before iti goes empty.....so the last pellet is never really the last pellet.

Having said that, I can't say that I've noticed a difference when on the bench where I normally run the mag dry. I'll pay close attention next time. I've never considered the last pellet to be a throw-away.

I once saw a video of a guy loading only the mag half full. He put the first locking pellet in as usual, and then loaded a few, and closed the lid. He maybe then was left with 6-8 empty slots between the locking pellet, and the next. Think the seccond pellet cycled would be slammed pretty hard, as the mag might have to do half a turn accelerating before coming to a stop. I do not think it is a good idea to load pellets with empty spaces inbetween each other:)