• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Carbon Fiber 480cc ‘O’ Rings

I have two FX branded 480cc carbon fiber bottles. One came with my Impact and the other was bought from Pyramyd Air. The first time I filled the Pyramyd Air bottle it immediately leaked all the contents as soon as I disconnected the Foster fitting. Since I had it past the return/exchange period I was directed to contact FX USA. I suggested to them to just send a new valve since I used to be in the scuba industry and rebuilt scuba tanks, regulators and compressors that they just send me a valve and I would replace it. For whatever reason, they sent two valves. At work I made a valve install/removal tool and when I got the valve easily replaced it. All was good. 

Then I started to remove the bottle on my Crown and it starts hissing and doesn’t stop as it should. So I let it drain completely before unscrewing it completely. So once empty I disassemble the valve and of course the seat O ring was badly damaged.

Does anyone know the proper sizes of the O rings, there are three in the valve. Or is there a source for a rebuild kit. To be honest, I’d rather buy a bunch of O rings as I’m sure rebuild kits are way way over priced. McMaster Carr will have every O ring I need whether SAE or Metric, unless they’re a proprietary O ring and must go through FX. 

Randy

Thank you. 

So a few minutes ago I filled a bottle that has a brand new valve assembly in it. When I went to disconnect it all the air flowed out again. 

I disassembled the valve and the stainless steel seat was dislodged, preventing the needle to seal on the mating surface. 

I’m wondering if maybe the initial squirt of air in that tiny area is just too much flow for a floating seat. 

I initially bought the cylinder to be able to carry a spare for quick recharging before I had a 74 cubic foot carbon fiber tank. The 480cc obviously is much more portable. I have a Umarex Ready Air and a Hill hand pump but I don’t like to pump wet air into my cylinders. My Omega compressor has a molecular sieve on it so my air is very dry when pumped at home, that’s where the 74 cubic foot tank is best for away from home refills.

I will probably discontinue removing the carbon fiber bottles from the FX guns. 

Randy

Here you go.
20210717_172727.1626564624.jpg

Thank you. 

So a few minutes ago I filled a bottle that has a brand new valve assembly in it. When I went to disconnect it all the air flowed out again. 

I disassembled the valve and the stainless steel seat was dislodged, preventing the needle to seal on the mating surface. 

I’m wondering if maybe the initial squirt of air in that tiny area is just too much flow for a floating seat. 

I initially bought the cylinder to be able to carry a spare for quick recharging before I had a 74 cubic foot carbon fiber tank. The 480cc obviously is much more portable. I have a Umarex Ready Air and a Hill hand pump but I don’t like to pump wet air into my cylinders. My Omega compressor has a molecular sieve on it so my air is very dry when pumped at home, that’s where the 74 cubic foot tank is best for away from home refills.

I will probably discontinue removing the carbon fiber bottles from the FX guns. 

Randy

You should be able to remove and reinstall FX bottles as much as you want. They are made to do that. FX even sells an adaptor to just fill the spare bottles for leaving one in your backpack while out in the field. If you can’t do that then there is something wrong with the bottle. I unfortunately have limited knowledge and still learning the FX guns. I wish I could be more help. 

https://fxairguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/airbottle-200326.pdf

bottle schematic.

Not sure what you mean by “floating” valve. The seat should stay in place with the o-ring.

That being said FX does make a bushing that fits between the valve seat and the valve pin nut to help keep the seat seated.

I can’t remember the P/N. Contact FXUSA on Monday.

Today I made a couple sleeve bushings to prevent the valve seat from dislodging. I have O rings on order thanks to chapjl. 

Hopefully my leak problem will be over, I’m also going to put a pretty low Cv needle valve on my fill whip so it fills slowly as well, those carbon fibers heat up very easily. I used to put my Air Venturi 90 cubic inch in the freezer before I took it to the paintball knucklehead. He used to fill it in 10 seconds. 

Randy

245F1371-CEF5-499F-B0B7-74ECE04D2A83.1628855199.jpeg
6ABDFBA3-4706-4167-98D0-1C6C088FC062.1628855200.jpeg
EFBCF569-DC0B-43F9-9484-0CF9BD70ED87.1628855201.jpeg
OK, so I got a bunch of O rings and replaced the ones in my cylinder valves and then made the sleeves that drop in the valve to hold the seat at the proper spot in the valve and voila’, no more leaking. 

Here’s some photo’s and my sketch for the bushing I made out of aluminum. 

Note: the small stepped end of the bushing goes into the valve first. See orientation in the photo showing all the parts in order as they go in valve. 

Seat is already in the valve in photo. 

Randy