• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Boss @ 100 Yards

Well I went to Twin City Rifle Club to sight in my Sam Yang 909S that I just got back from Will Piatt & decided to take along my FX Boss. I used it as a spotting scope while sighting in the 909S. I have a Hawke SW 6-24 on it. Afterwards I wanted to do some shooting with it @ 100 yards. The rifle is stock except I swapped out the factory moderator & installed a Huggett & I have installed an Atlas picatinney rail section to allow me to use a bipod. Today I was shooting with my CTK P3 shooting rest. I was using JSB 44 gr pellets right out of the tin. No sorting, washing or lubing. Temperature was in the 70's with really high humidity. The rifles were sweating terribly & the targets were wet by the time I could put them up. Started off with no wind then it became an intermittent slight breeze. Here is my target. It is a 5 shot group.
The first 4 shots measured out to .386 & that damn last shot brought it up to .908. Either way, I was very pleased with the results. Even my other groups, though not as good, would have resulted in dead squirrel, crow, etc. I have to hand it to FX. They do build very accurate rifles. I think I want to see if the Boss likes washed & lubed pellets. Lubed pellets make all the difference in the world with my Steyr that I shoot in FT. Anyway I posted this just because I LOVE MY BOSS !!!!! It is one bad motor scooter!!!! Now to get a CF bottle to take some weight off...

Good shooting chief. That's a mean looking group. At 100 yards this is fantastic shooting. Never ever sell this one. It's a shooter. 

I fail to understand why every fantastic group gets destroyed by the last shot. I have faced this multiple times. The perfect group for the first few shots and then out of nowhere the last pellet strikes away from the group. :) :) And this is typically the 5th or the 10th shot. 

I guess that's Murphy's law or something. 

"NCairgunner"Well I went to Twin City Rifle Club to sight in my Sam Yang 909S that I just got back from Will Piatt & decided to take along my FX Boss. I used it as a spotting scope while sighting in the 909S. I have a Hawke SW 6-24 on it. Afterwards I wanted to do some shooting with it @ 100 yards. The rifle is stock except I swapped out the factory moderator & installed a Huggett & I have installed an Atlas picatinney rail section to allow me to use a bipod. Today I was shooting with my CTK P3 shooting rest. I was using JSB 44 gr pellets right out of the tin. No sorting, washing or lubing. Temperature was in the 70's with really high humidity. The rifles were sweating terribly & the targets were wet by the time I could put them up. Started off with no wind then it became an intermittent slight breeze. Here is my target. It is a 5 shot group.
The first 4 shots measured out to .386 & that damn last shot brought it up to .908. Either way, I was very pleased with the results. Even my other groups, though not as good, would have resulted in dead squirrel, crow, etc. I have to hand it to FX. They do build very accurate rifles. I think I want to see if the Boss likes washed & lubed pellets. Lubed pellets make all the difference in the world with my Steyr that I shoot in FT. Anyway I posted this just because I LOVE MY BOSS !!!!! It is one bad motor scooter!!!! Now to get a CF bottle to take some weight off...
Nice shooting. I have been debating the purchase of an FZ Boss. In my limited experience I have not seen a Smooth Twist barrel which likes lubed pellets, although my experience is limited to 22 and 25 cal. air rifles. Perhaps the 30 cal will be different ? 

Tony, I don't think you would go wrong buying one. The new Salt & Pepper laminated stock looks nice. I just don't know if I would want the extra weight of the laminate. If I was just shooting off the bench, that would be my stock of choice. I went with the synthetic for weight. I do tote the Boss in the woods squirrel hunting so I want light as possible. Can't wait for my CF bottle to get here tomorrow!!! Hopefully I can give some feed back on lubed pellets for the Boss. I'm planning on washing & lubing a few to see how they work.

"chasdicapua"NCairgunner, nice looking Boss and very nice group. I know what you mean about that 5th shot!! Looks like the Huggett took an inch or two off the overall length. Is that so? I have a Boss as well and love it besides the length, so I'd be keen to know if your gun is any shorter now.

Chas, I measured the factory shroud & it was 15 7/8" L & the Huggett is 13 7/8" L. So it has taken 2" off of the total length. The Boss is still really long. It is one thing that I don't like about the rifle but it shoots so good that I overlook it. LOL !!!