• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX bobcat .30 or .25 for 100+ yard indoor benchrest shooting

Hello,

Nice forum. My name is Jan Peter from Holland

I am thinking about buying a .25 bobcat for indoor benchrest shooting at a 100+ yard but wonder if it has the same or better accuracy as the .30. I know that the .30 can hold 1 to 1.5 inch groeps all day with sorted pellets JSB 44 grain. My brother owns a .30 bobcat.

At this moment i own a .25 benjamin marauder and it is a good gun but just lacks the accuracy to make it a excellent 100+ yard gun for benchrest shooting.
Still i am enjoying it. Shooting 1.5 by 2 inch targets at a 100+ yards is no problem.

However i would like a bit more accuracy to be able to participate at the 100 meter benchrest competition and know for sure the .30 delivers. But how about .25?

Regards

Jan....
Since you'll be shooting indoors, I do not see an advantage of shooting the .30 cal over the .25. Usually when shooting outdoors, the extra weight of the pellet in the .30 cal, helps it to brace against the wind and not get pushed around. Indoors, however, I believe that your .25 will have the advantage. I remember Ted saying that his .25 Bobcat had the best accuracy of his arsenal....he would only use the .30 if the winds in Arizona started to blow hard. So, IMHO, if there is no wind affecting the pellets. I would go with a .25 caliber.
Mike

"manabeknives"Jan....
Since you'll be shooting indoors, I do not see an advantage of shooting the .30 cal over the .25. Usually when shooting outdoors, the extra weight of the pellet in the .30 cal, helps it to brace against the wind and not get pushed around. Indoors, however, I believe that your .25 will have the advantage. I remember Ted saying that his .25 Bobcat had the best accuracy of his arsenal....he would only use the .30 if the winds in Arizona started to blow hard. So, IMHO, if there is no wind affecting the pellets. I would go with a .25 caliber.
Mike
I agree that since you are shooting indoors the wind would not be a factor and the 25 would be my choice.

No wind and indoors. Hmmm..... What is the actual 100 meter indoors performance of .22 caliber rifles?

I've been competitive (2nd place and 3rd place) with a .22 against .22, .25. and .30 caliber guns outdoors in the wind. .25 may actually be best indoors and out, but are .22 rifles successfully being used in the 100 meter matches indoors that your Dutch brothers and sisters are shooting? I suggest asking some of them because it seems the greater velocity and pellet choices available with .22 may, or may not, give you an advantage in an indoors only target gun,

Moreover, unless prohibited by rules calling for bi-pods only, you might want to consider a rifle with a bench rest stock if whatever you select is for benched or prone target use only.

Outdoors in the wind disclaimers follow:
  • My .22 with sporter type stock has bench rest adapters mounted fore and aft since I shoot off a mechanical front rest and a rear bag.
  • I don't own either .25 caliber or .30 caliber rifles.
  • I have not run any ballistic calcs to see which caliber may be theoretically better.
  • My .22 reliably hits the one inch ten ring at 100 meters provided I'm extra careful and correct with my wind calls
  • I don't earn a lot of tens or Xs with my .22 rifle.
  • I still have lots to learn when it comes to correctly calling the wind in any sort of predictable manner.
  • The point spread between me and others who place higher is 20 points or more and that may, or may not, be an indication of better calibers.
Wow!! That is a lot of disclaimers. Perhaps you really should check with some of the more experienced 100 meter indoors air-gunners to determine what they believe is best. Especially since few of us outside Holland have 100 meter indoor ranges available to us.

In any event, best wishes.

The other Mark B.

Go for the .25 mate. Don't think twice. It's the perfect balance between calibers. Perfect for indoor and outdoor shooting. U will get fantastic groups at 100 yards. 1 inch or less. The cat out shoots a lot of us. I have the 30 and it's super accurate. But I would exchange it for a .25 any day ☺️ (Pellets cost and availability being my true concern) 

"Other_Mark_B"No wind and indoors. Hmmm..... What is the actual 100 meter indoors performance of .22 caliber rifles?

I've been competitive (2nd place and 3rd place) with a .22 against .22, .25. and .30 caliber guns outdoors in the wind. .25 may actually be best indoors and out, but are .22 rifles successfully being used in the 100 meter matches indoors that your Dutch brothers and sisters are shooting? I suggest asking some of them because it seems the greater velocity and pellet choices available with .22 may, or may not, give you an advantage in an indoors only target gun,

Moreover, unless prohibited by rules calling for bi-pods only, you might want to consider a rifle with a bench rest stock if whatever you select is for benched or prone target use only.

Outdoors in the wind disclaimers follow:
  • My .22 with sporter type stock has bench rest adapters mounted fore and aft since I shoot off a mechanical front rest and a rear bag.
  • I don't own either .25 caliber or .30 caliber rifles.
  • I have not run any ballistic calcs to see which caliber may be theoretically better.
  • My .22 reliably hits the one inch ten ring at 100 meters provided I'm extra careful and correct with my wind calls
  • I don't earn a lot of tens or Xs with my .22 rifle.
  • I still have lots to learn when it comes to correctly calling the wind in any sort of predictable manner.
  • The point spread between me and others who place higher is 20 points or more and that may, or may not, be an indication of better calibers.
Wow!! That is a lot of disclaimers. Perhaps you really should check with some of the more experienced 100 meter indoors air-gunners to determine what they believe is best. Especially since few of us outside Holland have 100 meter indoor ranges available to us.

In any event, best wishes.

The other Mark B.

Hello Mark,

The .22 is not commonly used. Mostly the .25 and up. See the link with the results and the used airguns. The BSA lonestar .25 outshoots most airguns. But is hard to come by

http://www.100metercrew.nl/100metercrew.nl/index.php/2015

Jan,