• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Free floating barrel on 2240?

If a person got a steel breech for their 2240, would it be possible to free float the barrel? I know it isn't possible in the plastic breech that comes stock on the 2240, but wanted to know if I could get away with it or am I wasting my time. I have to admit up front that I stole the barrel band off my 2240 and put it on my maximus until I can order another one. I have been wanting to build up the 2240 for some time and figured I would find out what sort of options I could or could not get away with.

Wormbobskey that is an interesting thought, but yes you can free float the barrel with a steel breech and no barrel band. Beware the only thing holding the barrel in place is a small grub screw, and there is a breech screw holding the breech onto the frame. This would probably work best using the standard 7.5" barrel. Some guys drill and tap the breech for a second barrel screw for more stability to free float the barrel.

I wonder if modifying a barrel band to fit the breech and air tube would be a good idea as well seeing as how there is only one screw holding the breech to the air tube in conjunction with drilling and tapping an extra grub screw hole for the barrel? I was wanting to get a little bit longer barrel to try and wring out a little more velocity out of the Co2, say maybe 10". I currently use the pistol/rifle with the back packer stock on it for pesting grackles and starlings that steal my dogs food. Shots are kept to within 12-15 yards with the factory barrel with an aluminum LDC attached and 2.5 straight power scope. Works very well with 14.3 cphp, but have to employ plywood backstop. I would eventually like to use it to hunt squirrels and that is the reason I'm looking to increasing the velocity a little.