• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

found a use for the "hide member" button

If you ignore/abuse the rules of the classified section I have hidden/will hide you and I encourage other members to do the same. This isn't about newer members not reading too closely and just figuring this out. Or someone making a genuine mistake. It's about longtime members, some with hundreds of posts, willfully ignoring the rules. (This isn't directed to any specific member by the way but a pattern I have noticed). To me, that shows a level of disrespect to the Admin of this forum [who works is a$% off and doesn't get nearly the amount of appreciation that he deserves] and to the individual members who do follow the rules. The rules are there for a reason, if they aren't ok with you, there are many other classifieds. This one is special precisely because it's NOT like those other forums. It's not fair to the Admin to make him police people who know better. We're all adults and accountable to ourselves. If someone feels so entitled as to break the rules because they believe they are special, we don't need to do business together- so its not my loss by hiding them. Similarly, I don't much value your opinion if you disrespect this forum, its admin and its members, so again, not my loss.

If enough of us hide these members, it provides its own deterrent to that type of behavior without involving the admin. Lets make this forum the best it can be........together. 

EDIT: to provide more clarity on what I'm referring to as "abusive", I'm talking almost exclusively about 1) auction posts, where there is no price listed and the poster wants to forum to make them an offer, or the post is up for $1 dollar. The information on price should be there so members can make an informed decision, and pitting members against each other isn't fair and wastes a lot of peoples time. There are auction sites for this, and then 2) improper bumps we are all capable of reading down a few pages, "cutting to the front of the line" is unnecessary and it hurts other posts which get less attention during their time on the front page. I don't want this to be yellowclassified.

I'll further clarify that I'm talking about repeat offenders. Or posts that were flagged and removed, only to be reposted with cute language to circumvent the rules. That way I know its not an accident but totally intentional. State of mind is important, and once I ascertain that- I exercise use of the hide feature. Which, I have only done twice since the "hide option" became available, so even I am not following my advice strictly, giving the benefit of the doubt whenever possible.

I'm actually curious which Classifieds rules you've seen being broken. The one I'm seeing the most is people re-listing things every 3-4 days as a way to get around not being able to bump your posts to the top - that irritates me.

While hiding these members may help, I honestly don't think it will have the impact you perceive in the long run. I think reporting those sales posts is important too.

I'm actually curious which Classifieds rules you've seen being broken. The one I'm seeing the most is people re-listing things every 3-4 days as a way to get around not being able to bump your posts to the top - that irritates me.

While hiding these members may help, I honestly don't think it will have the impact you perceive in the long run. I think reporting those sales posts is important too.

You can always flag these if you notice them. 

You can always flag these if you notice them.

Yes - flag is what I meant by report. 👍

I’m sure that some sellers just don’t realize they are breaking a rule. No excuse. This one gets violated pretty often;

1. “When the status of your ad changes please update your TITLE with the appropriate status FROM THE DROP DOWN BOX. Do NOT delete the content of your ad). Deleting the content of your ad may result in loss of privileges until that ad expires (14 days from creation).”
    [/LIST=1]

The GTA classified is a waste of time so what ever you do, do not copy anything they do!!!

Two suggestions that would make it better. Allow us to bump a thread occasionally and allow people to ask questions. The Texas Hunting Forum has the best classified of any of the websites I visit. It would be a good model to follow. You can find it here Texas Hunting Forum Classified

Heck I dont have a "hide member" button. You all must be special.

Mike click on a members profile and it will give you the choice to hide the member 

that being said Flagging an offending post is much more effective ignoring a problem is not the solution of solving the problem it only allows the person to continue to be the problem. 
this is not just in the classifieds but in any topic, 

we all have bad days and we all can rub another the wrong way but if a person chooses to sow discord and resentment then through flagging our via policing and modernization we can weed out the trouble makers 

In regard to the classifieds, where do the sold listings end up? Are they available for viewing? They provide a "blue book" of sorts for both buyers and sellers, unless, as some sellers do, the "for sale price" is edited out.

The completed listings come up in search results only, as far as I can tell. And I also think it is unfortunate when sellers remove the asking price from their listings. It's a nice reference to have, and never been sure why some people choose to remove it.

In regard to the classifieds, where do the sold listings end up? Are they available for viewing? They provide a "blue book" of sorts for both buyers and sellers, unless, as some sellers do, the "for sale price" is edited out.

The completed listings come up in search results only, as far as I can tell. And I also think it is unfortunate when sellers remove the asking price from their listings. It's a nice reference to have, and never been sure why some people choose to remove it.

And also in violation of the rules:

10. When the status of your ad changes please update your TITLE with the appropriate status FROM THE DROP DOWN BOX. Do NOT delete the content of your ad). Deleting the content of your ad may result in loss of privileges until that ad expires (14 days from creation).

Though the penalty seems odd for a sold status...

Actually, the sold listings get moved down just below the last active listings (i.e. those listings that are less than 2 weeks old and haven't been automatically locked by the system). This usually puts them on about page 10 or 11 of the Classifieds - so if you scroll to those pages, you'll see the most recently sold items.

I put some more info in the original post but here's what I wrote:

EDIT: to provide more clarity on what I'm referring to as "abusive", I'm talking almost exclusively about 1) auction posts, where there is no price listed and the poster wants to forum to make them an offer, or the post is up for $1 dollar. The information on price should be there so members can make an informed decision, and pitting members against each other isn't fair and wastes a lot of peoples time. There are auction sites for this, and then 2) improper bumps we are all capable of reading down a few pages, "cutting to the front of the line" is unnecessary and it hurts other posts which get less attention during their time on the front page. I don't want this to be yellowclassified.

I'll further clarify that I'm talking about repeat offenders. Or posts that were flagged and removed, only to be reposted with cute language to circumvent the rules. That way I know its not an accident but totally intentional. State of mind is important, and once I ascertain that- I exercise use of the hide feature. Which, I have only done twice since the "hide option" became available, so even I am not following my advice strictly, giving the benefit of the doubt whenever possible.

I put some more info in the original post but here's what I wrote:

I am more of a buyer than seller, so I don't see a problem with a price and OBO listing. Items for trade are really auctions because the seller is going to take the best trade that meets his objectives. About "Bumps", I recently had a gun up on the classified. I never saw anyway to bump the listing and by the time I got a deal the listing was on page 6. I don't have anything else to sale or trade, but I would like to know how it is done for future reference?