• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Fortitude Gen2 hammer spring

Ever since I have owned the .177 Fortitude Gen2 , I thought the hammer spring adjustment was loosening over time.

Well, I just found out that was not true. When the fps started to fall off after switching to the .177 Hades, I once again adjusted the HST just a little bit higher. Guess what happened?

Yes, I had reached above the range where the gun was even able to be cocked. Those who own a Fortitude (any generation) know that you can back the HST down all the way and have a REALLY HIGH shot count, but fps consistency goes out the window.

If you dial the HST up high enough, you will reach a point where the gun will not cock... or at least will not engage the trigger/sear so you can shoot it.

Obviously, I adjusted the HST down to where it will still let me cock the gun, but now I have no adjustment as the power level declines... and it will.

Well, that is what happened a couple of days ago for me.

Question:

Is my hammer spring simply getting worn out or is there something else going on?

For now, I can deal with it. But based on past experience with this gun, I expect the downward trend to continue and NOW I don't have the option to adjust the HST, so I would like to know what I can reasonably do to correct this in the near future.

Damn... this is the ONLY working airgun I have and I can't afford to buy another one. (I need a lot of dentistry (eventually dentures) that is going to cost me many thousands! Which I also can't afford!)

Sorry... just venting a little and hoping someone will have a good suggestion... (yeah... not even crossing my fingers... let alone holding my breath) chuckle!

In any case thanks for reading my "poor me" drivel. (smile)

p.s. Perhaps it is the regulator that is the problem? I mean, if there is reg creep, then the pressure will be higher and the hammer spring will not be able to keep the valve open long enough to keep the fps at the desired level and stable.

Hell, I don't know... (heavy sigh...)

Last edited:
Pull the spring and measure the wire diameter and the outside diameter of the spring itself and head to the hardware store!
Can even go with a little heavier wire if wanting more power! And cut to different lengths to adjust to your needs.
When I first got into PCPs I built several Crosman's! Also can contact Crosman and order new springs for dirt cheap but I always found that the hardware springs to be better quality!

Pull the spring and measure the wire diameter and the outside diameter of the spring itself and head to the hardware store!
Can even go with a little heavier wire if wanting more power! And cut to different lengths to adjust to your needs.
When I first got into PCPs I built several Crosman's! Also can contact Crosman and order new springs for dirt cheap but I always found that the hardware springs to be better quality!
Thanks for the reply! I am going to call Crosman first as this gun still has nearly 3 years of warrant left. To be honest, I am not one who loves to tinker or tear into an airgun... yeah, I know... some will ask "then why did you get into PCP?" Well, I got into PCP because I like to hit what I am aiming at with accuracy/precision. But I still hate tearing down a PCP to repair it. I am simply not very good at it. I wish I was...

Anyway, thanks for the info because if Crosman doesn't make it right, that will be my next avenue as this is the only airgun I have that works and with all of its warts, it has given me good service for over 2 years. There is a post somewhere... give me a couple of minutes to find it... where I list the things I had to do to make the Fortitude shoot-able. Look farther down as I am sure I added some things not in that post.

Damn... my fingers are (arthritis) simply not doing what my brain is sending... so I will have to stop now and take my medication (steroidal) and that makes me even more insane than usual. (chuckle/sigh) The steroids do something to me that I can only call insanity for a few hours.

Thanks again! I need to bookmark your reply for future reference... done!

Last edited:
Your continuously declining power level makes me think it’s not the hammer spring. You should try cleaning and lubricating the inner surface of the tube where the hammer slides as well as cleaning the hammer/striker. It may be binding in the tube during the firing cycle and causing issues. It costs nothing to do this, and you don’t need to de-pressurize the rifle or anything like that. If that isn’t the problem I would think it could be a damaged poppet that is the problem and that would require probably more in-depth disassembly than you are comfortable with.
Also you are naturally going to reach a point of diminishing returns with hammer spring adjustments at some point due to the fact that the G2 is regulated and has a small amount of air available per shot.
Regardless of the issue, if you don’t want to disassemble anything yourself, then use that warranty and send it in!

Last edited:
Your continuously declining power level makes me think it’s not the hammer spring. You should try cleaning and lubricating the inner surface of the tube where the hammer slides as well as cleaning the hammer/striker. It may be binding in the tube during the firing cycle and causing issues. It costs nothing to do this, and you don’t need to de-pressurize the rifle or anything like that. If that isn’t the problem I would think it could be a damaged poppet that is the problem and that would require probably more in-depth disassembly than you are comfortable with.
Also you are naturally going to reach a point of diminishing returns with hammer spring adjustments at some point due to the fact that the G2 is regulated and has a small amount of air available per shot.
Regardless of the issue, if you don’t want to disassemble anything yourself, then use that warranty and send it in!
I called Crosman and they sent me a new hammer spring (under warranty), but I when I open it up to access/change the HS, I will try what you suggest first.

For now, it is holding the desired fps, so I am going to wait before I replace the spring and have to re-tune it all over again. (smile)

It might be the regulator. Mine will creep up between shots. I'm going to order a new reg for mine.
Thanks for the reply!

Well, I never have installed the new hammer spring because I stopped leaving the Fortitude cocked. Now, I never leave the gun cocked and the FPS (with the HST adjusted as high as it will go) is stable at around 800fps +/- 10fps give or take.

If I have already cocked the gun and end up not having a safe shot, I remove the magazine and de-cock the gun. The magazine is placed in a slit on the top of the improvised cheek rest and the bolt is left in the closed position. Both of these let me know that there is a pellet in the chamber and the magazine is not in place.

In the case where there is no pellet in the chamber, I leave the bolt in the open position (NOT COCKED) and still place the mag in the slit where I can't help but notice it when I try to look through the scope.

This not only keeps the HS from having what I call "load memory", but it also saves pellets for me. (smile)

To each their own... YMMV

p.s.

I hate the thought of trying to replace the regulator. I am not good at such things and my arthritis doesn't help either!

Last edited: