• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Flow Factor (bows towards STO)

STO defines flow factor as:

((Start Pressure (BAR) - End Pressure (BAR)) * Tank Volume CC) / Shots Fired

The units of this value are BAR per CC per shot and can be converted to (or given tank capacity derived from) PSI per shot.

This is brilliant because you can report this number when you come to the forum to complain or rave about your favorite moderator and the guys working on designs will be able too draw some conclusions regarding the suitability of your moderator for the application.

Just food for thought, but yeah, he's a pretty fart smeller. It is a really good idea to publish this information when talking about your moderator's performance.

@JungleShooter you listening?

Reactions: JungleShooter
((Start Pressure (BAR) - End Pressure (BAR)) * Tank Volume CC) / Shots Fired
I don't know much about moderator design but I was initially confused by the prospect that this formula can describe moderator performance. I see now it's a measure of how much air a gun expels per shot. Presumably it could be used to place guns into brackets or classes based on how much air they consume, and then use that as a basis for comparing the attenuation performance of different moderators. Is that the basic idea?

Reactions: OldSpook
I don't know much about moderator design but I was initially confused by the prospect that this formula can describe moderator performance. I see now it's a measure of how much air a gun expels per shot. Presumably it could be used to place guns into brackets or classes based on how much air they consume, and then use that as a basis for comparing the attenuation performance of different moderators. Is that the basic idea?
Yes that's how he uses it. Foot pounds is an indirect metric and can also be informative. I think.

FLOW FACTOR (STO):
It is a really good idea to publish this information when talking about your moderator's performance.

@JungleShooter you listening?

😆 You bet ya, OldSpook!!
I will eventually have reduce my time spent on the forums — but as long as I'm on it and silencers come up — I'm listening! 😊

🔘 My Silencer Specs Table (attached below) needs some updating, with the new Impulse, DFL and some others.

🔘 However, I'm not sure how I could include the flow factor in the Specs Table.... 🤔
➧ Unless... — manufacturers, or independent testers like you crazy AGN crowd — measure and publish that info.
➧ Then of course, I will include it — as it will allow potential silencer shoppers decide which silencer model might be best for their particular application.

Or where you thinking of some other way, OldSpook? 😊

Matthias

❌ Silencer Specs Table

View attachment SILENCER Specs Table. 2021-04.pdf

😆 You bet ya, OldSpook!!
I will eventually have reduce my time spent on the forums — but as long as I'm on it and silencers come up — I'm listening! 😊

🔘 My Silencer Specs Table (attached below) needs some updating, with the new Impulse, DFL and some others.

🔘 However, I'm not sure how I could include the flow factor in the Specs Table.... 🤔
➧ Unless... — manufacturers, or independent testers like you crazy AGN crowd — measure and publish that info.
➧ Then of course, I will include it — as it will allow potential silencer shoppers decide which silencer model might be best for their particular application.

Or where you thinking of some other way, OldSpook? 😊

Matthias

❌ Silencer Specs Table

View attachment 421914
I think the only way to get that data is to collect it from the end user.

There are far too many designs with different kinds of internals. The only person who can know whether or not the thing performs on the rifle is somebody who owns a rifle and the moderator. Overtime the information could be collected. I don't know how anyone would calculate it.

Last edited: