• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First post. Omega compressor questions.

Hello all, New member here. First I thought I should share a little bit about myself. I have been into airguns for about 8-10 years now. Started of with springers, Beeman/HW for the most part with a couple of AA's (ProSport and TX200) thrown in. Went over to the dark side about 5-6 years ago and really never looked back. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy shooting a good springer from time to time as well as my old Sheridan but by in large it's PCP most days. This brings me to the reason for my first post. I have been sharing a 6000 PSI nitrogen bottle with a friend for the last 3 years. The lease will be up soon and there are a couple of options available to me now that we're not when we got the nitrogen set up. The first is a paint pall store that offers 4500 psi fills near by, about the same distance as it is to my friends house where we keep our nitrogen tank. The second is the Omega Air Charger/Super Charger. The Omega units appears to me because they are small, portable, and do not require a first stage compressor. I know that some prefer the Shoebox but I don't have the space necessary for such a set up. The Omega on the other hand could fit easily in my closet when not in uses. Please tell me about your experience with your Omega compressor. I am most interested with the Air Charger but would welcome input on either. I would be interested in knowing how long have you have had it, how many hours has it run and has it required any maintenance? Up until very recently I have been filling a couple of SCUBA tanks from the nitrogen bottle which has worked out pretty well for me. Especially when shooting my MK4 which has a very small 144 cc onboard tank and get 100 plus shoots on a 200 bar fill on low power which is perfect for shooting in my back yard. However, more recently I have purchased an AirWolf. Lots of shots per fill but it requires higher fill pressure and that big 500 cc bottle eats up my SCUBA tanks pretty quick. Thanks in advance for the info,Darrell 

You sort of didn't ask, but I'll give you my take as I went through this about 12 months ago.

I checked around, asked lots of questions, got lots of answers, but most of them were biased personal opinions. On several occasions I was referred to the same company, so my first assumption was, he's a good guy. Well, my opinion is mixed at this point, but let's not go there. I ended up with a Freedom8 Shoebox, a high-pressure water filter, and a 18 cf tank and hose. I could give you the trails and tribulations I went through, trying to get the whole shebang to work reliably, but again, let's not go there. However....

I found out rather quickly that the external, high-pressure water filter, is not necessary, nor warranted, unless you're a real purist. The bottom line is, it causes issues with the automatic pressure shutoff built in to the Freedom8. This fact sort of negates the feature in the first place, if you still have to sit there and watch the pressure gauge just to make sure you don't overfill the portable tank!

And, all of the Shoebox compressors require a run-of-the-mill shop compressor. Okay. I had one of those. But since buying the unit, I'm asking myself, what do I do if I'm on an out of town trip? Geez!

So here is my advice. First, don't buy a Shoebox, of any ilk, unless they start offering one that doesn't need a shop compressor. For just a few dollars more, you can buy a fully capable, high-pressure compressor which doesn't need one. And, most of those come with a water filter (dryer?), as part of the deal. 

If I had to do it all over again.... I would have purchased a small Bauer, even though the cost would have been $1,995. After all, I paid over $1,000 for the Freedom8, another $400 for the dryer, and another $600 for the portable tank! Why, because now I know better! And I admire you, in that you're doing what I should have done, in depth!

Reactions: plinker
Thanks to all for your input. I like the idea of not having to rely on others for my air supply.

Man you guys go through some air. I suppose it like reloading, once you get the equipment you don't really save any money you just shoot more. 

Still trying to to deside between a cf tank and fill at the local paint ball store or the Omega compressor. Maybe I will start with the cf tank and later get the Omega. Actually, it seems like they go hand and hand.

Thanks again,
Darrell 

Hi, I'm new the P C P air gun hobby also and my progress to the Omega super charger has been a positive journey. I've had only one problem with mine, a cracked water

coolant ​fitting which was addressed very promptly by AOA. They sent me a new fitting witch I replaced and all is good.

A large carbon fiber tank is also a good investment and with the compressor, the end result is independence.

i could email you a couple vids of my setup of the compressor and tank. i dont really know how to the whole video posting thing. anyways, vids demonstrates how loud it may be and how much space it takes up. one consideration is the omega is pretty slow at filling up. daystate, bauer, and other scuba shop compressors does the job quicker but much louder! and its breathable air (if u scuba dive) but the host of features and price and compactness. oh and self servicable (i really like that!) quickly makes up the gap in performance. charging of a completely empty 70 cu ft tank took 4+ hours. and now i only top off tank from 4k to 4.5k psi. takes 20-40 mins. but it fits my needs perfectly. i have around 10 hours of operation. let me know if you have any other questions. 

jl

"NMshooter"I would recommend getting a large carbon fiber tank first. See how often you are heading back to have it filled and when you tire of it get the compressor
Amen! start there! but make sure the paintball shop is cool with you going there and filling your tank. i've heard stories where people were unwilling to fill those massive tanks.

another consideration: omega units are freaking heavy! shipping costs! lol may want to get it together and save some $$$. idk

jl