• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.
Hey guys I've been reading around for a bit and looking into getting my first PCP. I would really like to have 2 for different purposes but if 1 would manage I'll stuck with it.

I was looking into a .30 for a few reasons. First the caliber size second it would have a few more shots per til over a big bore.

If I went big bore I would say a .45. I've looked into a few big bore and. 30 just need help on deciding what to get.

I'm really wanting something for coyotes (.30) and something bigger for hogs and deer if they allow hunting soon.

Thanks for the help guys, merry Christmas.

First, Merry Christmas. Just waiting for the rest of the family to arise so we can cook breakfast. Traditions of childhood carry on! Family won't show up till 9:00 AM, so got a while.

​As for the gun, to hunt, are there any regulations limiting bore on airguns in your area? Check that out. Some locals, if they allow airguns at all, have minimum bore requirements. If they don't allow hunting yet, see if you can get a draft of the regs and determine where they are going with minimum bore requirements. You might even be able to influence them to allow smaller calibers like .30 for hunting. Some locals require .40 and above.

​Will you be buying a plinking gun as well (.22 or something similar)? With a little more info I'm sure the forum will respond. Just look at some of the other "Ready for first PCP" type threads. You'll find many suggestions

Most important is what you'll use it for. If strictly hunting, not exactly my area, but others will chime in.

​Enjoy!

Thanks for the response! I'm about the watch the kiddos open their presents.

I mean I would like to have a little. 22 for plinking maybe. For sure right now I would like a medium caliber for predator such and yotes or even bobcat. So I guess .25 or .30,also with whatever rifle I get I would like to mod it. I like the FX air rifles and have seen some of the mods. What would be the effective range kill for this type of rifle?

Now to big bore (.45) as I said I want this for hog hunting for now and then when and if the day comes for deer hunting. Again what would be the effective range for killing with this caliber? I have seen videos of some good range kills and am pretty impressed.

Hope Santa brought the kids everything they wanted! We are about 90 minutes away, 

​Good to have the extra info. Knowing that you are a hunter of larger type game than pigeons really helps. What it tells me is that I'm not the person you need advice from! I'm more of a bench rest type shooter, not hunting. As for effective ranges, might also try the hunting forum (http://www.airgunnation.com/forum/discussion/hunting/) as they seem pretty active. Just saw a post where K_H_D took a coyote with a Vulcan .25. Looked like a small dog, but the shot was 40 yards, instant kill. Have a look over there for a bit more info.

​From your name, assuming you are in Texas. Pretty sure hogs are considered vermin so not many restrictions. Just need something big enough! Don't forget to figure air tanks and the overall PCP support system (like a local paintball shop for air refills). Get that all figured out before getting the gun. Hand pump and a 500CC tank is NO FUN!

Merry Christmas, keep the kids and family happy today, hunt tomorrow.

Yes sir the kids are having a good morning.

Correct there is no restrictions for hog hunting here in Texas.

I've been wondering if the .25 would be good for yotes and saw that one took with the .25. For those with an impact. 25 that's modded what is the kill range with one? Would having the. 30 help with range of kill or just help with how effective a kill?

Airguns are short range alternatives to powder burners. If your wanting to kill coyotes or hogs out to a hundred yards or so I would want a .35 caliber or larger doing 250 to 300 ft/lbs. The American Arms Slayer would be a good choice. Accurate compact and light with a decent shot count for power produced. They shoot cast slugs which is a must for hogs in my opinion.

So you think a .35 would be my best bet. Alright I'll look into the American arms slayer. I've been liking some of the .30 I've been looking at so I'll have to look for some. 35

If I'm getting a .35 would you say just go to a .45?

How affective would a good. 30 be as far as max range for kill and how effective? I know you said for around 100 yards a .35 I was just curious for the kill zone for a .30

Thanks for the help Guthook

@Hoosierdb I've been looking into FX for the. 30 and some Daystates. For the larger bore I like the Texan SS. I look those you said.

Too bad I really can't answer the questions you have now. Wish I could. I know JSB makes a 34grain .25 that has serious knockdown power. I picked up the .22 caliber version, but haven't tried them out yet. The .22, 34 grain JSB's will yield 50-plus foot pounds energy at 830 foot per second. I suspect the .25 will yield a bit more energy, especially if you juice it up to 900 fps or better. The calculator says at 930 fps the monster puts out 65 foot pounds energy. I doubt my gun can hit the 800 fps mark, so if you intend a smaller caliber pushing something like the 34grain at 900 fps, get a gun that is capable.

​The other possibility is, and these aren't cheap, .25 slugs. New breed of slugs from NSA has some real potential https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/

​At $.20 per round, not cheap but knockdown power is incredible. Can also push supersonic and should be much more stable than diabolo pellets. Lots 'o knockdown power in a .25 package.

​Get on the hunting forum and talk to the guys over there. Lots more info. Big discussion on the NSA ammo, and other aspects. Much more knowledge over there.
​Good luck whatever you do here. I'd love to hog hunt, but since they haven't made it to northern Utah yet, I'll wait. Already in Southern Utah, so could go down there. . . . .

"Saltlake58"Too bad I really can't answer the questions you have now. Wish I could. I know JSB makes a 34grain .25 that has serious knockdown power. I picked up the .22 caliber version, but haven't tried them out yet. The .22, 34 grain JSB's will yield 50-plus foot pounds energy at 830 foot per second. I suspect the .25 will yield a bit more energy, especially if you juice it up to 900 fps or better. The calculator says at 930 fps the monster puts out 65 foot pounds energy. I doubt my gun can hit the 800 fps mark, so if you intend a smaller caliber pushing something like the 34grain at 900 fps, get a gun that is capable.
​The other possibility is, and these aren't cheap, .25 slugs. New breed of slugs from NSA has some real potential https://nielsenspecialtyammo.com/
​At $.20 per round, not cheap but knockdown power is incredible. Can also push supersonic and should be much more stable than diabolo pellets. Lots 'o knockdown power in a .25 package.
​Get on the hunting forum and talk to the guys over there. Lots more info. Big discussion on the NSA ammo, and other aspects. Much more knowledge over there.
​Good luck whatever you do here. I'd love to hog hunt, but since they haven't made it to northern Utah yet, I'll wait. Already in Southern Utah, so could go down there. . . . .
thanks for the info man. I've been really trying to decide what to get. There are some good products out there. I don't mind spending the money either to get what I need.

If your going smaller caliber then you want a gun that will shoot heavy for caliber bullets at good speed. The heavy bullets will carry that speed and energy to the target. I prefer larger caliber, 45, 50, and 58 caliber for medium size game. For coyotes I like the ,357 for extended range. The trade off of bigger calibers is weight of rifle and reduced shoot counts per fill. A 400-500 ft/lb gun is only a 2 shot gun with a lesser back up shot if needed. The gun itself will be in the 10+ pound range probably closer to 12. I think for what your wanting the .357 is a good choice. You might consider a Epox Badger from Airgun Depot, it is a 40 caliber that shoots around 335 ft/lbs. The rifle is great for a walk around hunting gun. I enjoy mine a lot, accurate and powerful it has taken several deer this year. Not as compact as the Slayer it's about a third the cost. My Slayer .357 is a good gun as well, short, lite, accurate and powerful. Extremely well made it is a dandy walk around Hunter. 
If you go .25 then gowith a gun made to shoot .257 cast bullets not pellets or your range will be limited. 

Yotes and bobcat a .25 would rule for me personally.

On a big-bore I was going to sat grab a DAQ, the .458 was the best bigbore hunter I have owned. It is as guthook stated a 2 shot rifle but at 75 they touched and it was hard to miss a red brick at 200 - no real targets at that range as I never intended to hunt that far-.
But, reading guthook's advice, and as I am a bit out of date and he is speaking from experience on all these rifles ( pretty sure he knows the DAQ's as well) I would look at the Badger. Not a rifle I have ever considered myself, odd cal. new ( ish ) maker, thought they cost more but a straight shooters hands on advice sways me a bit.

John

Absolutely the DAQ's are excellent hunters, I'm on his list now for .58 short rifle and have a . 45LA and Outlaw .50 caliber. The Badger is made by XP airguns, I had a XP .58 caliber and sold it, the Badger is Dan's work for sure and a great carry around Hunter. The good thing is they are in stock and ready to ship. Get some Mr. Hollowpoint cast ammo or NSA swaged bullets and your good to go. Fill pressure on the badger is 4250psi but for optimum first shot velocity 3650 psi is my fill pressure. 

Ok thanks for the information. I like the rifle for a bigger bore for sure. I've been trying to decide what calibers I want to have. Like I said I'm thinking a .30 and then a larger caliber such as a .40. Just not sure what caliber to get first.

For the. 30 I like the FX impact, Condor SS, I kinda like the cricket and a few others.

For larger
Ataman M2R Tact Carbine, Texan SS, I also like a few Evanix.

Factory is by someone like FX or Daystate. Custom would be made by an individual or small shop like a American Air Arms, XP, or Quackenbudh to name a few. 
Most custom bigbores use cast bullets where factory guns use pellets. In the last couple years this has changed somewhat. There were no 400 ft/lb factory guns untill the Texan was introduced. 
Your doing the right thing gathering info but ultimately you will decide what you like. My likes run toward traditional style hunting rifles that are light enough to carry, not to long and powerful. I'm a hunter so I don't worry to much about shot count and focus on accuracy. I carry a small tank for refills if required. It's a 90ci paintball tank and can fill my rifle several times, rides in small backpack. 

I have a .30cal from Wicked Air Rifles it's called a Flex and is regulated and I have mine tuned at 100fpe for 21 shots and is a beast. Great accuracy and very consistent and of course it is American made. There are many other great air rifles in .30 cal and I have owned a few but I absolutely love my WAR flex. Can't go wrong with owning one. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask. 
Best Regards

AjGuthookFactory is by someone like FX or Daystate. Custom would be made by an individual or small shop like a American Air Arms, XP, or Quackenbudh to name a few. 
Most custom bigbores use cast bullets where factory guns use pellets. In the last couple years this has changed somewhat. There were no 400 ft/lb factory guns untill the Texan was introduced. 
Your doing the right thing gathering info but ultimately you will decide what you like. My likes run toward traditional style hunting rifles that are light enough to carry, not to long and powerful. I'm a hunter so I don't worry to much about shot count and focus on accuracy. I carry a small tank for refills if required. It's a 90ci paintball tank and can fill my rifle several times, rides in small backpack. 
Ah ok thank you now I see the difference in the types. Ok I'll do some more research thank you.

"YamahaR1"I have a .30cal from Wicked Air Rifles it's called a Flex and is regulated and I have mine tuned at 100fpe for 21 shots and is a beast. Great accuracy and very consistent and of course it is American made. There are many other great air rifles in .30 cal and I have owned a few but I absolutely love my WAR flex. Can't go wrong with owning one. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask. 
Best Regards
Those look like some nice air rifles. Ok so for a rifle like this one, what is involved in tuning it? I like the Flex air rifle in a .357 and the Cobra in a .30 as well.