• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Jackrabbit of 2016

Happy New Year!! I had a few days off from building guns so I took the time for a much needed hunt. My Marauder is all torn down and getting some love so I decided to grab a custom .30 Rainstorm from the shop that was built by QVTom. My other reason for taking it was to sight it in for Ron(5Tron)as it's his new toy. I arrived to my hunting spot a bit later as it was very cold and I had wanted to zero in the gun a bit before hand. I spent about 20min getting everything right as well as familiarizing myself with the feel and use of the gun. By this time it was around 9:30am and I headed into my usual loop that usually takes me about 4 hours. It took awhile but I finally saw a few Jacks off in the distance several hundred yards. When I spot them I usually try and close myself into range and hope not to spook them. I had been lucky as the ground was soft and there was a slight breeze,this helps getting closer. I was able to get within 85yrds of a good size one that looked as though he was missing part of his ear..I lined up my shot between some Joshua trees and was able to take a real clean headshot. Nothing like the THUMP of a rather large pellet hitting bone..I could tell it hit very hard!! I had a great little solo hunt and can only hope for more into the new year. Hope everyone's well and will try and post some more when time permits. 8) .html]
image_zpsj29lr7tw.jpg
[/url][/img][/URL]

"Alan"Eating jack rabbit? No way! I can't speak for the other parts of the world, but here in the Roswell, NM area, every jack I've come across has had worms, fleas, and a few ticks hanging on. I also suspect that is why the coyotes look so bedraggled as well.
Just about all wild game animals have worms, fleas and ticks. It comes from living in the wild :D

I was a skeptic, but have come to really enjoy eating jacks. The meat is extremely lean, flavorful and not gamey if marinated overnight in milk. All the jacks I've shot have been quite healthy, although I always inspect the liver.

Best part of jack hunting is that they are a real challenge. I hunt them with an R1 in .177. It is hard to get close enough for a shot and you have to cover a lot of ground to find them.

R