• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Hunt.

My son turns 6 years old Wednesday. I have been teaching him gun safety and hunting ethics since he was able to tell me "yes I understand daddy". He is not ready to shoot a firearm, but he has been shooting his Diana 70. I wanted to start him hunting next year, but he has driven me nuts asking when I will take him hunting. So, tomorrow will be his first squirrel hunt!! Even though he can barely hold the gun up by himself, the goal is to let him feel the experience of the outdoors. My plan for tomorrow is to utilize this "hunt" as a beginning of his outdoor education. Teaching him how to identify trees, posion ivy, etc, as well as wildlife sign. Since I have preached that we eat what we kill, I hope to just shoot one squirrel so that I can show him how to clean one and smear alittle time honored tradition of blood on his cheek.

I started hunting small game at 7 and had taken my first deer by age 9. Hunting and the outdoors has been much more than a hobby or a sport to me. It has been a lifestyle and a connection to nature. I got my wife into hunting and we started our own family heavily rooted in the outdoors. Now, I get to take my first born on his first hunt. This is a wonderful feeling for me and I hope and pray that I am able to make this an amazing and educational first hunt for my son!! This is a picture from last year, but I think he is ready.

Well, we went to my Dad's farm for our squirrel hunt this morning. I took my Prod and my son Gage took his Diana 70. We did see one squirrel, but Gage was unable to stay quiet. He spooked it off before we could setup for a shot. He told me that it is just to hard to stay quiet, but he will try harder next time. LOL!! He did spot an english house sparrow and tried an offhanded shot, but it was a clean miss. We found a number of deer and raccoon tracks which he thought was really cool. We also worked on identifying trees and different plants. Overall it was a wonderful time in the outdoors with my son!! He is very excited to go again but really wants to get a squirrel so we can bring it home and cook it.

EXZIVER
"ajshoots"Thanks for the replies!! He was ready to go again yesterday and asked first thing this morning if we could go hunting today. I think he has the "bug"!!
That's wonderful! Most children these days don't want to get off their iPod. They have no idea what they are missing. You have done a great job! Excellent post..

Thank you sir!!