• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

first design Impact advice?

steeve

Nov 1, 2015
ca
First the gun had a power loss that kept getting worse, so I disassembled and checked the thing on the end of the long rod had not backed off and the C-3 O-ring was ok...both were good. Checked the valve too, as I heard they can crack and leak. In the process of de-gassing, using the regulator screw and re-adjusting afterwards, I think an internal o-ring in the reg was damaged; so now it won't hold air at all. My question is; would it be worth while to buy a different regulator, since I have to tear it down again anyway.....the old reg seemed to "creep" over time and the first shot was always off-the-group. To me, the first shot after many days/weeks of non-operation is the most important and I need it to be accurate, since I might not get a second shot. Does FX have an upgraded reg that won't creep up in pressure over time? Spring has sprung and I need to start pesting again. 

Reg creep is to due imperfectly matching seat and piston, truing the two surfaces and if necessary replacing the seat material will fix creep in most cases. I wouldn't spend 2k on a gun and then another 100 on a regulator when the one it comes with likely just needs a bit of love...but thats just my take as many people like things just to work, and humas often do just that.

Each gen impact have a different size reg. So if you thinking of changing out the reg. Make sure you get the right model or it wont fit. Dont go buying a new reg thinking it will fit and then trying to install and find out it doesnt fit your gun. Fx reg are known to creep if you leave for few hours to a day and it's not due to temperature changed. They just creep. Usually you just need to dry fire 1 or 2 shot before you use it. Can be annoying to dry fire when you out hunting.

I've only worked on a small number of more current FXs but Ackuric is correct.... the mating surfaces need to be trued and orings need to be the right size. It SHOULDN'T creep...period. In one Impact Mk1, the oring groove for the reg in the block was oversize so it needed a slightly thicker oring. On my Crown .. just needed the reg piston trued. Neither creeps at all. The Royale I had for a while never creeped.

Bob

im In the process of resealing a MK1 impact now for a customer & he mentioned to me about the regulator creep. I found post some where about how the washers were installed from the factory & how this person installed them. Factory was like (((()))), he installed them like this ()()()(). That’s the way I have them installed now, I’m just waiting on the Power Plenum to arrive so I can finish the gun & see if it fixes the creep. 

I just ordered a new reg from FX USA....75$ with shipping....They said there are only 2 designs for the Impact; Pre-AMP and AMP.. I ordered the Pre-AMP. which is supposed to fit the first two gun designs. The AMP design was made larger, no doubt to help with creep and consistency, but it will not fit inside the early gun designs. So, my gun is obsolete after shooting less than two tins through it. I was hoping for a "lifetime" gun when I bought it.

Bowdude, Regarding the washer stack in the reg,.. (((()))) , I don't see how this could work at all....there would be almost no adjustment range or valve travel. The ()()()() looks correct to me.

I just ordered a new reg from FX USA....75$ with shipping....They said there are only 2 designs for the Impact; Pre-AMP and AMP.. I ordered the Pre-AMP. which is supposed to fit the first two gun designs. The AMP design was made larger, no doubt to help with creep and consistency, but it will not fit inside the early gun designs. So, my gun is obsolete after shooting less than two tins through it. I was hoping for a "lifetime" gun when I bought it.

Bowdude, Regarding the washer stack in the reg,.. (((()))) , I don't see how this could work at all....there would be almost no adjustment range or valve travel. The ()()()() looks correct to me.

When I pulled the reg out of this Impact the washers were stacked like this (((()))), That’s the reason put them back the other way ()()()().could be creeping cause there’s now more adjustment & it’s at the bottom of the adjustment. Would be interesting to see how the come on your new reg. 

When the washers are nested together, they don't do anything but take up space....they are supposed to act as a high compression spring, which is why they need to be facing each other. With only the center two facing each other, it makes those the only ones that can compress, making the spring rate too high and the adjustment range too short.