• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

First Deer Ever - AF Texan .457 Carbine CF and 300 gr Mr. Hollowpoint

Well, I finally got it done in the fading last light of 2020. I started deer hunting just last year and quickly discovered that the spot and stalk methods I use on hogs and squirrels do NOT work on deer. So I have been in a self-taught learning curve that has been slowly getting me closer and closer. I did have an easy shot on a buck in early November - broadside at 20 yards - that I missed completely with my crossbow when the bolt grazed the bottom edge of the blind window on the way out. I was really sick over that one.

Yesterday I was headed out and checked the weather for the wind direction, only to discover that it was exactly opposite of what it needed to be for any of the spots I had set up except for the one on the WMA that had closed the day before. A friend mentioned that it was the last day of a rifle hunt on a WMA I had never hunted, so I got on Google maps and took a look. I picked out two likely spots and headed out. The first had a truck parked near it, so I went to the second where sparse pine gives way to thick brush before going down to a swamp bottom. I found a blowdown and set up behind it by the root ball.

About 20 min before dark, this little doe came out, but she wouldn't stop moving. I thought she was gone, but she finally circled back at about 45-50 yards but was in the undergrowth. So I picked a shooting lane where the growth was thinnest (not absent) and tracked her until she got to it. I hit her moving with a rear-lung shot. I thought I might have missed because I saw undergrowth move and instead of bucking she just took off at a sprint, so I immediately got up and went to look for blood. When I got to the spot, I couldn't find any blood, but when I looked up, there she was just 20-25 yards away trying to keep standing. She fell over as I watched. When I got to her, there was a small hole in her side, 4" behind the right shoulder, with not a drop of blood coming out of it, and no exit wound. I immediately thought of INSIX's post last week of a hog he shot where the same thing happened. When I cleaned her later, the bullet had gone in, expanded, and taken out the back half of both lungs before getting stuck in the left shoulder.

In any case, it was a great way to end the year. I'm going to start this one with bacon-wrapped back strap.

First Deer.1609509503.jpeg

Good for you. I read lots of forums where people complain about no blood trail. It happens, and does so even with excellent terminal performance.

I enjoy seeing other people who do a good follow up on shots. It pays off. Makes folks wonder how many are lost because folks never looked for the quarry.

LostWife and I have been traipsing through the woods with a spay bottle of peroxide and flashlights many times looking for deer that one of us knew we didn't miss. Every time we were right.

LostWife and I have been traipsing through the woods with a spay bottle of peroxide and flashlights many times looking for deer that one of us knew we didn't miss. Every time we were right.

I've never heard of that. What does the peroxide do?

If you suspect blood, spay a mist, If it is blood, you'll know very quickly. Just a tool to keep in the box. Sometimes blood can be very difficult.

I want two holes! Good job on your first!

I do, too. But I have noticed I am not really getting them. It probably isn't because of a lack of power - at about 840 fps, that 300 grain is putting out 470 ft/lbs. I have seen videos where the Bulldog, with much less power- punches right through. I am starting to believe it is the slugs I am using. I have 300 grains from Mr. Hollowpoint. They are great slugs, and very well and consistently cast. But they have a big hollow in them and are made out of a soft lead for expansion - and expand the do! But the extreme expansion and energy dump may be preventing them from getting a full pass-through and making two bleed holes. This is what they look like at 15 or so yards into soft, goopy mud/clay

Hollow Point.1611233626.jpeg

As much as I like these rounds, I am thinking about switching to something a little more solid to see what happens.

Great shot! But you are getting exactly what you want out of the mr hollowpoints. Energy dump into your target to kill it. I was having the opposite effect on yotes with my gun punching holes threw a a three with very little expansion and we didn’t recover half of them

Recovery also becomes a problem with no blood trail. This little doe didn't bleed ad all. Not a drop. I just happened to be in a place to see her fall. I had another doe earlier in the year that I know I got a good shot on get away, as we had nothing to follow. I've shot three pigs with it, and only found two. On one I had learned the lesson by then and took a head shot, but neither with a heart/lung shot bled. We found the one we did only with a grid search. I think the other was in a briar thicket I didn't want to go in, but no way to know for sure because...yep...no blood. I'm really thinking an exit wound would help in this area - but then maybe I am spoiled by following the trails my crossbow and Rage broadheads leave.

I shot my first deer this year too, congrats and welcome to the club! My wife got her first taste of venison, and told me I should go deer hunting more often!

For ballistics, I used a 909s with 196gr NSA slug at about 830fps. I got mine in the liver, and was a complete pass through at 50 yards. The liver had about a 1" X in it from the expansion and tissue damage. She ran about 40 yards and was completely expired by the time I walked over.

My buddy Terry has me convinced to try a neck shot next time. He has had real good luck dropping them on the spot, plus its a bit higher out of low brush cover, if you hunt a ground blind like I do...

I hope you enjoy that tasty meat, looks like you got a nice one!