• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Finding a range & range rules

I don't know where the conclusion came from in my original post that my safety could have been a propblem with this RSO , I've been shooting firearms for over 50 yrs. 

Started competition shooting at 13 and onto my adult hood and at one point building my own firearms. I was luckey enough to live close by and befriended by an 80s world champion 6mm benchers shooter that took me under his wing. So I have been following range rules since I was a kid.

I'm 200% positive I know more about safety and firearms than this guy does, his problem was that my PCP has air pressure in it during the 20 min break time.

Ok yes that's true but its in the bench stand like everyone else, unloaded, bolt open, mag on the bench, and me standing behind the safety line.

To me its no more of a risk than boxes of loaded cartridges on the benches. It has nothing to do with my actions or being unsafe. 

So get this - I was there about 2 months ago and a guy come out with an AR15 with bipod - positioned it under the bench, got in"somewhat" of a prone position and begin trying to load a mag. I was 2 positions away from this guy. The RSO came over - to make a long story short this guy had rented the AR from inside- had never shot one, didn't know how to load the mag, insert it or chamber a round. The RSO put it on the bench, showed him how to load the mag and chambered a round and then turned him loose and went on with his RSO duties at the pistol range. Now do you think that's going be a safe scenario. I offered to the RSO to let me stay with this guy and help him, teach him a few things but he says- its against the rules to be in someones shooting area. I just stopped shooting and stood in the safe area watching this guy struggle, I felt it was my resposability to keep an eye on him for the sake of everyone else that didn't know what was happening. Thankfully it all worked out. As I was leaving I mentioned to the guy inside he might want to ensure someone knows what they are doing before they rent a gun. 

So lets worry about my PCP being charged up with air is safe or not.- insane 

I haven't given up though - I am still hopeful to get with the owner and get him familrer with PCPs. 

@Bill_D, I have had similar experiences.

Every time I visit a range or gun store I find myself looking for some sign, ANY sign of intelligent life and often there is little if any. Plenty of know-it-all attitude though!

Amazing the level of ignorance in powder burner owners in general.

I have gone to the range with military veterans and former cops and watched them fumble around with their own gun!

Touching off rounds before they were on target and ready, etc. Luckily no one was killed!

Unreal.

@Bill_D, I have had similar experiences.

Every time I visit a range or gun store I find myself looking for some sign, ANY sign of intelligent life and often there is little if any. Plenty of know-it-all attitude though!

Amazing the level of ignorance in powder burner owners in general.

I have gone to the range with military veterans and former cops and watched them fumble around with their own gun!

Touching off rounds before they were on target and ready, etc. Luckily no one was killed!

Unreal.

HAHAHAHA - you hit the nail on the head - I used to shoot with the law enforcement back home (free ammo LOL) and damn I wouldn't want to be anywhere near if they had a gun battle. Not to say they were all bad but it only takes one idiot to make it dangerous. 

What I have learned is ..... a yellow chamber safety flag in place of a mag. Remove the mag and replace with a a yellow - or anything sticking out colour bright - flag/plug, which you shall be able to buy in any gun store. You can even put two, one that replaces the mag and one in a muzzle.

yellow flag.1643055580.JPG

People may don't know PCP's but for sure every RO knows what is a chamber safety flag.

^^^^^^^^ This...... If no official chamber flag is available, a simple brightly colored zip tie works as well.