• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Finally the FX Impact power block was put to the test

A very good informative review by Giles from AirgunGearShow: Barrel Length Vs FPS Velocity Vs Power Block - SCIENCE ALERT. The interesting thing is the power bock brings more benefits to the shorter barrels. Thanks, Giles.
Yeah. i saw this, and while the barrel length information was well known to most serious airgunners, and certainly to me, it was still interesting to see his take on the Impact (pun intended) of the Power Block.

That's my point exactly, the power block doesn't bring much benefits compared to the regular block. Quote from his transcript and result: "with the power block version the speed from the barrel increase in length is not as great, in fact compared to a non-power block it's down just on the barrel increase"

1655760779532.png

Here you can see some obvious increment in 500mm barrel with power block (plus slug port and slug probe). But not much anywhere else.

1655761107681.png

Quote from his transcript again: "I think that's down to how the power block vents down the barrel differently, actually overall, it's more powerful but i'm guessing the power block is taking the work off the barrel increase, so basically you don't need as much barrel when using a power block because the gain is less which in the end is a good thing. Because if you're going to take away the actual barrel length as a calculation, the increase between the power block and the non-power block is greater so the power block is creating its own barrel extension sort hypothetically and thus the gain from the barrel being longer is less which means a shorter barrel can give you more power".

Quite interesting, right?

Reactions: ChRiSiS and qball
That's my point exactly, the power block doesn't bring much benefits compared to the regular block. Quote from his transcript and result: "with the power block version the speed from the barrel increase in length is not as great, in fact compared to a non-power block it's down just on the barrel increase"

View attachment 269970

Here you can see some obvious increment in 500mm barrel with power block (plus slug port and slug probe). But not much anywhere else.

View attachment 269973

Quote from his transcript again: "I think that's down to how the power block vents down the barrel differently, actually overall, it's more powerful but i'm guessing the power block is taking the work off the barrel increase, so basically you don't need as much barrel when using a power block because the gain is less which in the end is a good thing. Because if you're going to take away the actual barrel length as a calculation, the increase between the power block and the non-power block is greater so the power block is creating its own barrel extension sort hypothetically and thus the gain from the barrel being longer is less which means a shorter barrel can give you more power".

Very Interesting indeed.

View attachment 269970

View attachment 269973

It indeed is interesting! I think it’s because the low reg pressure even with longer barrel the bigger air passage let all the energy out quicker. Wait till you try the gun at 150-160 bars, difference will be dramatic that I’m very sure of!!!