• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Finally got to shoot 50 yards

Went out this morning and shot indoors 25 yards. I was working on what hold worked best for my Hatsan 44-10. I tried light hold ....The gun didn't like that at all.. Worked on a lot of holds. I finally ended up....so far ... with a medium pressure hold. It seemed to work best ...for now. Here is the target when using the medium hold. Not great but it is a start in the right direction.... : )

Then I went out to my brother in laws land where I could shoot out farther. I shot 50 yards.. I shot off my bi-pod off the hood of my car. Nice day today. Little wind 5 to 10 into my face. It didn't seem to push my pellets much. I was shooting .25 33.95 gr mk2 Diabolo Kngs. I shot a few practice rounds learning where to hold. Here are the two targets I shot one clip ...9 pellets at each target.

This was my first one ...got a few flyers....not sure what I was doing. The pellets were sorted by weight and sized to .253. I haven't did any roll test yet.

This is my last target...9 shots also...got better.... : ) I was happy with this one. for now

If you have any pointers I'm all ears,,,, : )
Thanks Richard

Bipod, loaded or free to move, on a hard or bouncy object is a questionable recipe for accuracy. Try a bag filed with either sand, rice, or my current favourite.....BB's. Search for the stock's best resting position and yes, gently hold/cup that fore end. If I sound like a particular Antipodean it's because he offers advice that mirrors mine, and here's advice from yet another on shot strings....WH Fuller.

http://www.rifleman.org.uk/Fuller_group_diagnosis.htm

Reactions: fe7565
It's always easier to get a tight 5-shot group then with a 9-shot. Some of my best 5-shot groups would very likely be an average 9-shot group.

Did you chrony your strings? I would check just to be sure. Also, I noticed that my shooting setup: rifle hold, rifle rest, cheek weld, eye placement, trigger-pull, and follow-through all can make a huge difference. I am still experimenting with those and that's where I made the biggest gains towards accuracy, because the rifle certainly shoots better than me.

Looking good Richard. I agree with Cookie on using bags. I'm right handed and I started getting better groups once I learned to grab the ears on my rear bag with my left hand to help position and stabilize the rifle while it was sitting on the front bag.

My favorite front bag is the Caldwell Tack Driver and any good quality rear bag will do. It really makes difference when you squeeze the ears of the rear bag around the butt stock with your non trigger hand.

Can't beat these two deals

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Tackdriver-Shooting-Rest-Bag-Filled/dp/B000BY9G5K/ref=pd_sim_200_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Ar6Gcf4qL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0E041JVAAEWZG715C9QA

http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-Medium-High-Rear-Bag/dp/B004Y3NMK4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_200_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=519Iy5qKYvL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=04K5ZCAM9YZQN7MGPAGF

This is a really nice rear bag also

http://www.amazon.com/Protektor-Model-Deluxe-Handle-Leather/dp/B007FCCXEC%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAIRMHDZQXYGQTGG6A%26tag%3Dpowertools0f9-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB007FCCXEC

Enjoying following your progress man. Keep it up!

Jimmy

Thanks campfussel....I have a long ways to go....I think I'm progressing well..... untell I see a target like ted put out a couple days ago.... that was one amazing group....I may do that some day if everything lines up for that day..... : ) but I'm not holding my breath untell then...
i'm not sure how I want to practice...benchrest I shoot one way...and if I'm practicing for hunting I need to shoot with a bypod. ..and shooting stick....guess I will figure that out with time.
I have a bag like the first one u had a link to. I dont have a back rest yet. I just ordered a 360 shooting rest...table...it will be in in a few days...I wont be shooting off a leaning car hood... : )
thanks again richard

Richard-Looks like you're taking a methodical approach to your shooting, that's great, just don't forget to have fun! You can make a set of sticks for hunting from some 1x1 hardwood and scrap leather. here are mine-
When used from a sitting position it makes a pretty stable rest, if you can rest your back against a tree or fence post it's almost like shooting from a bench. Here's a link to directions on how to make some-http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm
I have three sets for shooting from the ground, from a chair, and standing positions, they're cheap to make! I added stick-on velcro near the bottoms of mine to keep them together when I hike around.

Jimmy, I never thought of holding the ears on the rear bag with my non trigger hand. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the tip. Going to my first 25m Benchrest match at the Holbrook Sprotsman Club here in MA tomorrow. Bringing my FX Royale 200. Those guys will be shooting Steyrs and Thomas guns.... Hopefully I'll pick up some tips!

Chas
I wasn't aware of it either until I got my friend Paul Porch into air guns. Paul (AKA Strikefast) was an avid powder burner shooter before the airbug addiction hit him. He showed me how he does it and I'll be dang if it didn't improve my groups immeasurably. 
My rifle had always felt secure just sitting in the tack driver without using a rear bag at all, and I thought I was doing pretty good like that? But once the rear bag was added to the equation, the groups tightened even more.
Can't believe it took me over a year and a half of shooting airguns just to learn that???? LOL
Ha, just realized I'm squeezing the rear bag in my profile picture ;-)

Jimmy

Ok jimmy....you sold me ...I will get a back rest and see what I can do.... : )

John like your stick rest...I will have to make some for my shooting..... looks like a fun project.. : ) I really like the spoon....shoot it ...cook it ...make a little soup ...and now you have a spoon to eat it with....Your thinking over the top with that....It's a little scary to think someone else can make something out the normal....I do that also...I think with me I'm just cheap..... : ) If it works it cant ever be wrong.....
thanks again Richard