• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Final Modification To FX Boss ( I Hope !!! )

I think that I may have done the last modification to my Boss. Here's what I've done or had done so far.

1st : Sent rifle back to AOA to have a Huggett shroud installed. The didn't make one for the .30 so AOA modified one for a .25 Royale. It works great & lost 2 " in length.
2nd : While at AOA, Steve talked to me about the stock Boss trigger. I told him how I was planning on adjusting it & he recommended replacing it with older version FX trigger with Steve's tune up. Steve did a great job. It is set up just like I wanted & I have the stock Boss trigger if I ever want to go back stock.
3rd :Installed an Atlas picatinney rail section using the Atlas mounting kit. Turned out real nice & works great with my bipod.
4th : Swapped out the steel bottle for a CF bottle. This took 1 lb. off of the front of the rifle. Definitely going to like that during squirrel season

Here are a couple of the rail mount. The inserts are mounted about 1/16" below the surface to prevent contact but leave as much structural integrity as possible

That's a very nice setup. The Huggett looks good and I really like the carbon fiber bottle. I would have to say I'm a little jealous. I've had my eye on the Boss for a long time now. I'm hesitant to get one due to the loudness of the .30. Actually, my lack of knowledge of the loudness of the .30. No one around me has one for me to hear. I target shoot a lot in my backyard. No one behind me but I have neighbors on both sides. I would love to have the Boss for small/medium game. I would want mine setup exactly like yours.

I realize loudness is subjective. I have limited experience with PCP air rifles. I have a Wolverine B Hi-Lite .22 and a Steyr LG110 High Power Hunting .22. Those two rifles are litterely the only PCP's I have ever held and shot. I hear people saying "all you hear is the pellet hitting the target" with their rifles and I think "wow that must be nice" because my rifles aren't that quiet. And everything I've heard is the Wolverine B .22 with the Huggett is one of the quietest .22s out. Maybe it's just mine, but I hear a lot more then only the pellet hitting the target. I'm not saying it's loud, but it's not that quiet. But, I will say my comments are based on me always being the shooter with my ear inches away from the bolt/receiver. How does the Boss compare to your other rifles?

"Eli"I realize loudness is subjective. I have limited experience with PCP air rifles. I have a Wolverine B Hi-Lite .22 and a Steyr LG110 High Power Hunting .22. Those two rifles are litterely the only PCP's I have ever held and shot. I hear people saying "all you hear is the pellet hitting the target" with their rifles and I think "wow that must be nice" because my rifles aren't that quiet. And everything I've heard is the Wolverine B .22 with the Huggett is one of the quietest .22s out. Maybe it's just mine, but I hear a lot more then only the pellet hitting the target. I'm not saying it's loud, but it's not that quiet. But, I will say my comments are based on me always being the shooter with my ear inches away from the bolt/receiver. How does the Boss compare to your other rifles?

Eli, I have a Wolverine B Hi-lite in .22 also. Both the Wolverine & my Boss are extremely quiet. I will have to say that the Wolverine is quieter than the Boss. But it should be. It's not pushing as much air out as the .30 Boss. Plus the Boss's noise is really a deeper tone than the Wolverine. There is no "crack" when shooting it. I know in the woods squirrel hunting, the Boss doesn't sound loud at all. Now the sound that the .30 pellet makes when it makes contact with a squirrel is a loud whoomp !!! It just puts a grin on your face..

Chris, can't wait to shoot your rifle this weekend. Question. How would you like a spinner target for the Boss? I will make you one for this weekend. I have some thick steel discs that will handle the hits. You can keep it as it's a prototype.

I don't know how the pellet will splatter as it relieves some impact with the spinning action. We can try it out at Will's. I have been thinking of making a field target for 30 cal.

Thus will give me a good idea of what kind of impacts the 30 has on the steel. It may be a pipe dream but if is is engineered rt it could be a good product for me.

Imagine and open FT with 30 cal limit......lol

I will. The disc is about 2" and is around 1" thick. I will make it so it is braced backward and make some deep pegs to hold the front. It is an experiment since the only .30 cals I have are .308, 30 06, and my favorite .300 win mag. I might put one of them on it before I bring it up. Should let me know if the FX will hurt it. Lol

Here is a small video I made with the .30 cal Bobcat today. The first shot is at 150 yards and the rest at 60 yards. The wind was too inconsistent to shoot at 150, I was aimed at the far left target to hit the far right one. The target is a Taylor .22 rimfire with 3 1/2 inch targets and 3/16 inch thick. I am not sure what steel is used, but at 60 yards very small marks were left by pellet into steel.

Hope this helps you a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yo_6yyGBZqw

Video came up as private and could not be viewed.

I know the spinner will have little trouble handling the ,30 Boss. the metal discs I use are 1" thick. The design of the stand is my concern. I believe I designed it to stay put, but until I weld it up I won't be sure. I decided to go with a thicker round steel rod then I started with. I need to go get a proper round tubing to make the swing bar. I will post it after it is done.

strikefastVideo came up as private and could not be viewed.

I know the spinner will have little trouble handling the ,30 Boss. the metal discs I use are 1" thick. The design of the stand is my concern. I believe I designed it to stay put, but until I weld it up I won't be sure. I decided to go with a thicker round steel rod then I started with. I need to go get a proper round tubing to make the swing bar. I will post it after it is done.

It should be public now. I am interested in seeing the target when you get it done.

OK Chris, Dave here is the spinner I made for the .30 cal Boss. I will have it at the competition this weekend Chris.
It is made of 1/8" thick steel angle for the frame. Each disc is 3/4" thick steel. and they can be changed out if needed or made to have only one hanging in the center if preferred. The discs are 2 1/4: diameter and 2 7/8" diameter. There are two push rods that can be put into the ground at 45 degree angles to keep the target from lifting if the .30 hits that hard. We will experiment to see what the minimin distance would be for the target. I imagine 50 yds would be close.

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com

Uploaded at Snapagogo.com