• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Field Target, Range Finders?

we

as Scotton said previously, you are welcome at ASC and will be in the unlimited class.
As such .. we in the SVFTC have has a BIG ZERO interest in Freestyle / Unlimited class participation in our clubs FT game monthly.
Thus ... the relating to a few who wish too play by those off script rules simply has not become an issue to deal with.

Reactions: L.Leon
As such .. we in the SVFTC have has a BIG ZERO interest in Freestyle / Unlimited class participation in our clubs FT game monthly.
Thus ... the relating to a few who wish too play by those off script rules simply has not become an issue to deal with.
I do understand your stance, somewhat. But guys like me do not range the pest we shoot through our scopes. Practically, range finders exist for a reason, they aid guys like me. Range pest or target and make the shot, or not. I do see the fun aspect and challenge of shooting a field target course. But don’t need to score, just the personal “fun and challenge” no podiums or medals… Just plinking on a sweet COF. Just to see what I could do with my stock set up and range finder. I would gladly pay the match fee for that.

• Love
Reactions: MysticalDragon
I do understand your stance, somewhat. But guys like me do not range the pest we shoot through our scopes. Practically, range finders exist for a reason, they aid guys like me. Range pest or target and make the shot, or not. I do see the fun aspect and challenge of shooting a field target course. But don’t need to score, just the personal “fun and challenge” no podiums or medals… Just plinking on a sweet COF. Just to see what I could do with my stock set up and range finder. I would gladly pay the match fee for that.
These Web forums sadly have the personal touch of having a face to face conversation etc ... as such and keeping REAL the expectations someone may have going to a club event where the "GAME" is well expressed and rules of such followed.
Now said ... We're ALL just grown up boys shooting BB guns of sorts & given the task to accommodate individuals who wish to play, we generally do our best making those showing up for there 1st time welcome.
It is to some degree a double edge sword .... Set up a structure & most follow, yet there will be outliers who need massaging / guidance to fit the game played. Push me/ pull me is never easy .. it is just the task those in leadership must face until others step up and carry the torch in there version of whats felt fair & just.
ALL are welcome in the current SVFTC game we play monthly .. tho our game is >20 fpe following AAFTA guidelines.
Until such time as we find another Air Gun game to play and a leader to keep it on track ... it, "Is what it Is"

I would like to participate in local field target matches, but strictly as a “fun shoot” where I would only score for myself. And use my range finder, like I do when afield. I do understand it’s a game where you “range” through your scope. But I don’t range with my scope in practice. And would love to have a “realistic” shot at those sweet field targets using my range finder.🤓🤔 Is such a thing allowed for? The attraction to me would be to shoot the sweet variety of targets that are presented at these matches. I will emphasize that I have zero desire to put a large field target scope with big side wheel on any PCP I would own. But see the need for them if playing for score. I would attend and pay the match fees if allowed to use my range finder. Wouldn’t be turning in a scorecard. Just wondering if such allowances are made for guys like me?
More than welcome at Binghamton and pretty sure Wappingers would allow it too!

Reactions: AirGunShooter
we

as Scotton said previously, you are welcome at ASC and will be in the unlimited class.

Ditto at TEXtreme Airgun Sports...

Only we call it UNSETTLED Class. 🤪 The term has multiple definitions, all of which apply.

No; I don't shoot that class... SURPRISINGLY!

Last edited:
@Motorhead, Scott, I more often than not agree with you on most topics, but I don't here.

Freestyle (rangefinder) class has been used for most of a decade in our monthly matches here in AZ and I've yet to hear of an instance of it creating a problem at a match. Just like the rest of the overly chopped up pool of participants, Freestyle just has a different set of equipment stipulations. (What's one more at this point?!?)

Freestyle offers a guy like @L.Leon a chance to try out field target using a scope he already has. Maybe he won't like it at all and never comes back, maybe he'll love it and join in the equipment race and buy a scope with a big ridiculous side wheel on it so he can come back and compete in a different class, and maybe he'll like it and be perfectly content to continue shooting in freestyle class (sans dinner plate strapped to the side of his scope).

The important take-away from those possible scenarios is that, regardless of the outcome, he'd come give it a try. And all it would take for him, is a match director in his local area to be willing to let him use a rangefinder.

He could simply be asked to keep his lasered distances to himself, regardless of how he's squadded that day.

I just don't see the harm of letting him shoot using a rangefinder. I do, however, see the benefit by potentially getting another airgunner involved in field target.
In addition to the Unlimited Class providing opportunities for new shooters to try out FT without having to invest in all the set up, and possible purchase of a new scope for ranging, Airgunners of Arizona also has some kids that come out to shoot with their dads or grandfathers. I believe they all shoot Unlimited too, for the simplicity of using a rangefinder.

Additionally, Phoenix Airgun Club also has an Unlimited Class and I don't think it causes any problems there either.

In addition to the Unlimited Class providing opportunities for new shooters to try out FT without having to invest in all the set up, and possible purchase of a new scope for ranging, Airgunners of Arizona also has some kids that come out to shoot with their dads or grandfathers. I believe they all shoot Unlimited too, for the simplicity of using a rangefinder.

Additionally, Phoenix Airgun Club also has an Unlimited Class and I don't think it causes any problems there either.
I'm well aware of the Free style / Unlimited class and all the fighting many of us did to get the AAFTA to acknowledge it. Now going back now 8+ years !!
The clubs who offer it or allow those who wish to shoot it & doing so
.. It's all good :cool:
Personally was VERY pro on the class even sacrificing a chance to win a State GP Championship in Hunter PCP to take a shot at trying to get this "Wished For" AAFTA FREE STYLE class more acknowledged & viewed as legitimate. Yes I won the class, but not stated as First place because the class Did not exist then and does not exist today .. WHY IS THAT ?

I have even mention said class in club news letters, during matches etc .... Yet only perhaps twice to date that i recall in all these years has a shooter wished to shoot as such.
Honest l have no reason why .. just whats happening at our SVFTC clubs events.

a1b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: drsquall