• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Field Target, Range Finders?

I would like to participate in local field target matches, but strictly as a “fun shoot” where I would only score for myself. And use my range finder, like I do when afield. I do understand it’s a game where you “range” through your scope. But I don’t range with my scope in practice. And would love to have a “realistic” shot at those sweet field targets using my range finder.🤓🤔 Is such a thing allowed for? The attraction to me would be to shoot the sweet variety of targets that are presented at these matches. I will emphasize that I have zero desire to put a large field target scope with big side wheel on any PCP I would own. But see the need for them if playing for score. I would attend and pay the match fees if allowed to use my range finder. Wouldn’t be turning in a scorecard. Just wondering if such allowances are made for guys like me?

I know at OKC no one would care. If that's how you want to practice and play more power to you. I think as long as you didn't tell anyone the distance it would be no problem. Just talk to the match director and tell him/her and it should be fine. If someone takes offense to it, well I can't say that here. Ive thought about going to a match with my tall shooting sticks and do it all standing with the sticks the way I hunt just to practice.

Jon

Ask the match director. If you were shooting with me I wouldn't care but I'd just ask that you kept what you know to yourself. I think most people would feel the same.
Understood it’s not like I would be sharing my range finder readings… Just using it for my purposes.

My club has an Unlimited Class (I think some clubs call it Freestyle) and range finders are allowed.

Yep, seems Airgunners of AZ have offered that class for 6-8 years that I'm aware of. Most monthly matches seem to have at least a couple in that class. I've taken advantage of it myself when I wanted to really evaluate the accuracy of a platform by eliminating the potential misses due to misranged targets. Last October at the Founders Cup match was the most recent time I've shot in that class.

Unlimited class shooters shoot through the course at the same time as every other class, experiencing the same conditions.

So yes, it'd be a perfect class for what you propose. You'd get to rub elbows with ft shooters, try out various guns and scopes, talk airguns with like-minded individuals. Basically experience all the peripheral benefits of being involved with a field target club.

I would certainly allow "liberties" to someone that wants to shoot and not have their score count HOWEVER allowing range finders on the course would be problematic no matter how honest some people would be. I have been approached with this issue before and allowing anyone on the course with a range finder would be fraught with issues and should not be permitted before or during a match. Afterwards, no problem.
Rich B.

Reactions: L.Leon
If a club would not let you then I would would go somewhere else and give my money elsewhere

I think no club should allow it...

Except mine! 💵 💵 💵

1691779473031.png

"Daddy needs a new Vette!"

Tho said ... Spirit of the game we play, NO rangefinders in club events.
Like near all handy caps folks want to use because they can't or won't comply with rules that apply to everyone ... O'well find a different game or loose some ego and go have some fun !!

@Motorhead, Scott, I more often than not agree with you on most topics, but I don't here.

Freestyle (rangefinder) class has been used for most of a decade in our monthly matches here in AZ and I've yet to hear of an instance of it creating a problem at a match. Just like the rest of the overly chopped up pool of participants, Freestyle just has a different set of equipment stipulations. (What's one more at this point?!?)

Freestyle offers a guy like @L.Leon a chance to try out field target using a scope he already has. Maybe he won't like it at all and never comes back, maybe he'll love it and join in the equipment race and buy a scope with a big ridiculous side wheel on it so he can come back and compete in a different class, and maybe he'll like it and be perfectly content to continue shooting in freestyle class (sans dinner plate strapped to the side of his scope).

The important take-away from those possible scenarios is that, regardless of the outcome, he'd come give it a try. And all it would take for him, is a match director in his local area to be willing to let him use a rangefinder.

He could simply be asked to keep his lasered distances to himself, regardless of how he's squadded that day.

I just don't see the harm of letting him shoot using a rangefinder. I do, however, see the benefit by potentially getting another airgunner involved in field target.

@Motorhead, Scott, I more often than not agree with you on most topics, but I don't here.

Freestyle (rangefinder) class has been used for most of a decade in our monthly matches here in AZ and I've yet to hear of an instance of it creating a problem at a match. Just like the rest of the overly chopped up pool of participants, Freestyle just has a different set of equipment stipulations. (What's one more at this point?!?)

Freestyle offers a guy like @L.Leon a chance to try out field target using a scope he already has. Maybe he won't like it at all and never comes back, maybe he'll love it and join in the equipment race and buy a scope with a big ridiculous side wheel on it so he can come back and compete in a different class, and maybe he'll like it and be perfectly content to continue shooting in freestyle class (sans dinner plate strapped to the side of his scope).

The important take-away from those possible scenarios is that, regardless of the outcome, he'd come give it a try. And all it would take for him, is a match director in his local area to be willing to let him use a rangefinder.

He could simply be asked to keep his lasered distances to himself, regardless of how he's squadded that day.

I just don't see the harm of letting him shoot using a rangefinder. I do, however, see the benefit by potentially getting another airgunner involved in field target.
Until such time as those with opposing view takes on all that is being a Match Director, the one who takes on the task ... Nod to the opposing factions.

Until such time as those with opposing view takes on all that is being a Match Director, the one who takes on the task ... Nod to the opposing factions.

I can respect that.

While not the match director, I share in the responsibilities of running some of the matches where I like to shoot. That has shown me that sometimes we've got to tailor the approach to the audience. Ie, if you know you've got a majority within the general membership who don't want a Freestyle class.....or if you've even got even one obnoxious loudmouth who's isn't big on inclusion.....well there's your answer. Just stinks for guys like Luis, who sound like they'd like to come and play too.

• Love
Reactions: MysticalDragon
we
I would like to participate in local field target matches, but strictly as a “fun shoot” where I would only score for myself. And use my range finder, like I do when afield. I do understand it’s a game where you “range” through your scope. But I don’t range with my scope in practice. And would love to have a “realistic” shot at those sweet field targets using my range finder.🤓🤔 Is such a thing allowed for? The attraction to me would be to shoot the sweet variety of targets that are presented at these matches. I will emphasize that I have zero desire to put a large field target scope with big side wheel on any PCP I would own. But see the need for them if playing for score. I would attend and pay the match fees if allowed to use my range finder. Wouldn’t be turning in a scorecard. Just wondering if such allowances are made for guys like me?
as Scotton said previously, you are welcome at ASC and will be in the unlimited class.

Reactions: L.Leon