• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Fewer and fewer reasons to buy from Utah Airguns

From your post:

I called to complain to Thaddeus. He said I could request no signature, but I would have to send an email requesting it and doing so would absolve them of all liability in the event of a loss. Whatever happened to insurance?

Seems obvious that the reason Utah Airguns is requiring an adult signature is so that there is a higher chance that package is not left on the porch to be stolen by porch pirates. As for insurance, in many instances it will not cover a package sent without a signature at delivery, so UA ends up losing $580.

With a "regular" signature required on the label, I have had VERY high dollar packages left on the porch without even a knock on the door as they run back to their truck, but 90+% of the time if a package is sent Adult Signature Required, the driver gets a signature.

Yes, they should have all that explained before you place your order. I am guessing as the porch pirate thievery increases with shipments we may see the adult signature required on almost everything of any value from every shipper / company out there. The article in that link states that in 2022 the estimated loss to porch pirates was $195 billion worth of merchandise! I was told by a UPS rep that they only pay out about 30% of insurance claims.

Last edited:
Reactions: .20calguy
Just my own experience with FedEx has been the delivery driver just ask my last name and first name and that’s it.
But it is everyone’s own decision with whom to do business with.
My opinion doesn’t really matter because we all make our decisions. Hopefully the op will find resolution and if that is to take his business elsewhere then he has solved his problem.
I just wanted him to actually see what the “so called” policy is. As with everything, individual interpretations of guidelines is different from person to person.
Neither UPS or FedEx ask me, I always ask if they need a signature, and they normally don't.

Even though Privacy in the country has tanked, I still attempt to maintain what's left. Good thing I wasn't elected to Congress when I ran, some of this data collection would be attempted to be curbed.

Smitty

Requiring a signature and “looking” at a DL to verify the signature is different than scanning a DL. There is a lot of info on the DL that warrants protection.
Just received my package today. Driver wanted to scan my ID. I said “no” but you can copy my pertinent info and I will sign. He was going to refuse delivery until I stated that I wanted to talk to his supervisor. The supervisor taught him how to manually enter data. Done and done. Took a whole 5 minutes to fix the situation.

Reactions: balver and darylm
Just received my package today. Driver wanted to scan my ID. I said “no” but you can copy my pertinent info and I will sign. He was going to refuse delivery until I stated that I wanted to talk to his supervisor. The supervisor taught him how to manually enter data. Done and done. Took a whole 5 minutes to fix the situation.

Good way to handle it.

They should give you $100 in shipping credit for the driver education seminar you provided on your front porch.

• Haha
Reactions: PBuffa
Good way to handle it.

They should give you $100 in shipping credit for the driver education seminar you provided on your front porch.
I actually felt bad for the young man. He is working and doing the best he can. He was very polite the whole time and did admit to “never doing it manually before because most people just let him scan their DL”. I guess people just think giving their DL info up to just anyone, is AOK. Go Figure.

I ordered a scope (value about $580) on 5/31/23. It arrived today, 5/8/23. I checked and it was in stock when purchased. No problem with the delivery time frame. Here's the problem. Before you place the order, there is NO mention of the fact that they are going to ship any item over $400 Adult Signature Required. So when I place the order, they can't tell me when they will ship, but I'm supposed to be home to sign for it.

To add insult to injury, FedEx had to SCAN my wife's drivers license. What are they law enforcement officers? Why an ADULT signature for a scope? An airgun where you have to be over 18 maybe, but a scope? My wife went along with it because it was for me. If I had not been in the shower, I would have told them to send the package back to Utah Airguns and scan their drivers license to get it back. They should make all this clear upfront, before you order. UPS's high value is $2,000. I called to complain to Thaddeus. He said I could request no signature, but I would have to send an email requesting it and doing so would absolve them of all liability in the event of a loss. Whatever happened to insurance? I told him if this was their new norm I would need to shop elsewhere. He said I should do that. I will, and you might want to as well. Utah Airguns keeps inventing new reasons to shop elsewhere.
Personally I like it when a signature is required - avoids porch bandits and verifying with the driver license ensures exactly who got the goods.

FedEx has been requiring a signature for high value packages for quite a while. As far as scanning the DL I just told them no. I have no such problem with UPS.
Strange... I just received an HP computer via FedEx for a product at a higher value than this with no adult signature and on my front porch. I agree with the OP about UA being/having a BS policy.

It's total BS. Not only signature required, but ADULT signature required, for a SCOPE? No warning when you place the order. Utah Airguns can't tell you when it will be shipped, Fedex (THEIR carrier of choice) can't say what day it will be delivered, and if they do they will change it the day before, but you better cancel all appointments you have waited months for in case they decide to deliver it. -Ridiculous

In Washington State we have an enhanced drivers license that works as a passport into our neighboring countries. I have one. It has all public records and personal information on it. We have a local grocery that requires they scan the license to buy alcohol. I don't want them to have that information. Who knows who it will end up with. By the way I am 72 so pretty easy for me to pass as 21. We need to do what we can these days to protect ourselves. There are a lot of bad actors out there with no values.

Reactions: .20calguy
I ordered a scope (value about $580) on 5/31/23. It arrived today, 5/8/23. I checked and it was in stock when purchased. No problem with the delivery time frame. Here's the problem. Before you place the order, there is NO mention of the fact that they are going to ship any item over $400 Adult Signature Required. So when I place the order, they can't tell me when they will ship, but I'm supposed to be home to sign for it.

To add insult to injury, FedEx had to SCAN my wife's drivers license. What are they law enforcement officers? Why an ADULT signature for a scope? An airgun where you have to be over 18 maybe, but a scope? My wife went along with it because it was for me. If I had not been in the shower, I would have told them to send the package back to Utah Airguns and scan their drivers license to get it back. They should make all this clear upfront, before you order. UPS's high value is $2,000. I called to complain to Thaddeus. He said I could request no signature, but I would have to send an email requesting it and doing so would absolve them of all liability in the event of a loss. Whatever happened to insurance? I told him if this was their new norm I would need to shop elsewhere. He said I should do that. I will, and you might want to as well. Utah Airguns keeps inventing new reasons to shop elsewhere.
Wow you order the scope on May 31, 2023 and got it on May 8, 2023. That's damn good service.

Good in one way, very bad in another, requiring an adult signature for an item a 6 year old can legally purchase, and shipping with special requirements without notification. If a package is attempted to be delivered but is not, because the receiver was not not informed at the time of purchase that an adult signature was required and there's no adult home to receive it, was it really deliered?

Last edited:
Just got a dreamline tac conversion delivered by fedex with no signature required. Ordered a week ago From Utah Air hoping for a quick backorder fill. Guess they had some in the back cause it wasn't backordered for very long. Fedex tracking system does suck though. Showed sitting still in Illinois to 2 days then magically shows up on my porch. Glad I was home.