• Much like Google Reviews - members are allowed to create (1) unique thread for each vendor/manufacturer. You may "edit" your thread at any time to reflect any changes.

Fewer and fewer reasons to buy from Utah Airguns

I ordered a scope (value about $580) on 5/31/23. It arrived today, 5/8/23. I checked and it was in stock when purchased. No problem with the delivery time frame. Here's the problem. Before you place the order, there is NO mention of the fact that they are going to ship any item over $400 Adult Signature Required. So when I place the order, they can't tell me when they will ship, but I'm supposed to be home to sign for it.

To add insult to injury, FedEx had to SCAN my wife's drivers license. What are they law enforcement officers? Why an ADULT signature for a scope? An airgun where you have to be over 18 maybe, but a scope? My wife went along with it because it was for me. If I had not been in the shower, I would have told them to send the package back to Utah Airguns and scan their drivers license to get it back. They should make all this clear upfront, before you order. UPS's high value is $2,000. I called to complain to Thaddeus. He said I could request no signature, but I would have to send an email requesting it and doing so would absolve them of all liability in the event of a loss. Whatever happened to insurance? I told him if this was their new norm I would need to shop elsewhere. He said I should do that. I will, and you might want to as well. Utah Airguns keeps inventing new reasons to shop elsewhere.

Last edited:
I ordered a scope (value about $580) on 5/31/23. It arrived today, 5/8/23. I checked and it was in stock when purchased. No problem with the delivery time frame. Here's the problem. Before you place the order, there is NO mention of the fact that they are going to ship any item over $400 Adult Signature Required. So when I place the order, they can't tell me when they will ship, but I'm supposed to be home to sign for it.

To add insult to injury, FedEx had to SCAN my wife's drivers license. What are they law enforcement officers? Why an ADULT signature for a scope? An airgun where you have to be over 18 maybe, but a scope? My wife went along with it because it was for me. If I had not been in the shower, I would have told them to send the package back to Utah Airguns and scan their drivers license to get it back. They should make all this clear upfront, before you order. UPS's high value is $2,000. I called to complain to Thaddeus. He said I could request no signature, but I would have to send an email requesting it and doing so would absolve them of all liability in the event of a loss. Whatever happened to insurance? I told him if this was their new norm I would need to shop elsewhere. He said I should do that. I will, and you might want to as well. Utah Airguns keeps inventing new reasons to shop elsewhere.
...you ordered a scope...got it fast and in good condition...your wife looks so young they needed her driver`s licence to check her age...what`s the problem......?

The problem is there is no legal requirement to be of a certain age to purchase a scope, and when your drivers license is scanned, you have just provided a lot of your personal information which you do not know how it will be safeguarded or used. They did not need to SEE her drivers license, they SCANNED her drivers license.

The problem is there is no legal requirement to be of a certain age to purchase a scope, and when your drivers license is scanned, you have just provided a lot of your personal information which you do not know how it will be safeguarded or used. They did not need to SEE her drivers license, they SCANNED her drivers license.
OK...I see,...still, it doesn`t make Utah airguns a bad store, does it?

I made clear they are not a bad store, but their shipping requirements and choice of shipper make them a good place to physically go in to make a purchase, unless you want to hand over a lot of your information that may come back to haunt you in the event of identity theft. It is something each purchaser will need to decide on their own, and since the vendor has chosen not to disclose it when checking out, I am making others aware so they can decide whether or not the risk is worth it.

The new world order plain and simple in your face. Just can't go anywhere, do anything with out getting tripped up. Sad...

To add insult to injury, FedEx had to SCAN my wife's drivers license. What are they law enforcement officers? Why an ADULT signature for a scope? An airgun where you have to be over 18 maybe, but a scope? My wife went along with it because it was for me. If I had not been in the shower, I would have told them to send the package back to Utah Airguns and scan their drivers license to get it back. They should make all this clear upfront, before you order. UPS's high value is $2,000. I called to complain to Thaddeus. He said I could request no signature, but I would have to send an email requesting it and doing so would absolve them of all liability in the event of a loss. Whatever happened to insurance? I told him if this was their new norm I would need to shop elsewhere. He said I should do that. I will, and you might want to as well. Utah Airguns keeps inventing new reasons to shop
OK...I see,...still, it doesn`t make Utah airguns a bad store, does it?
It is true that they require an adult signature. What happens if you don’t have a drivers license? Would fed ex or ups accept another form of ID ? Don’t Know. That being said, is it UAG’s or the shippers policy to demand to scan a DL? UAG has been good to me so I can’t complain. When my Condor SS arrives, I will try signing without allowing them to scan my DL. I will let them look at it but not scan it. See what they say. Signature required does not equate to scanning a DL. IMHO

We get stuff for other people dropped off at our address by the various delivery companies. All it would take is somebody down the road who opens your package, googles it to figure out it's a $600 scope, and decides to pretend they never received it. Without knowing who received delivery, you're out a scope. And that means you and Utah Airguns have a fight about who eats it. Cuz for them, it says it was delivered, but you never received it. And THIS is where having a scanned driver's license comes in handy.

The other situation would be that they shipping company won't leave it on your doorstep for some porch pirate to snag unless you or wife is home to receive delivery.

In both potential (and very likely scenarios) that I just posed, you are better protected by their policy to scan a dl before the package gets left.

Reactions: Joedirt199
We get stuff for other people dropped off at our address by the various delivery companies. All it would take is somebody down the road who opens your package, googles it to figure out it's a $600 scope, and decides to pretend they never received it. Without knowing who received delivery, you're out a scope. And that means you and Utah Airguns have a fight about who eats it. Cuz for them, it says it was delivered, but you never received it. And THIS is where having a scanned driver's license comes in handy.

The other situation would be that they shipping company won't leave it on your doorstep for some porch pirate to snag unless you or wife is home to receive delivery.

In both potential (and very likely scenarios) that I just posed, you are better protected by their policy to scan a dl before the package gets left.
Requiring a signature and “looking” at a DL to verify the signature is different than scanning a DL. There is a lot of info on the DL that warrants protection.

Yes, and FedEx gets to decide what "high value" is and that amount is very low by industry standards. I am a daily UPS pickup (have been for 23 years) and have shipped and received packages up to $75,000 inside a secure location without issue. Utah Airguns does not offer shipping any way other than FedEx. They SHOW USPS as a shipping option, but every time you go to check out, it changes it to FedEx. I even called the order in and had them send me an invoice (on this order), and it still changed it to FedEx.

To me it's simple.

Signature required-OK
Adult signature OK on items with an age restriction. Airgun-OK, other items-not OK
See my drivers license-OK
Scan my drivers license-not OK

Clearly state all requirements on checkout page, so I can decide if I want to be a customer.
Any packages that require a drivers license scan will be rejected. I will not be paying a re-stocking if the requirement was not disclosed at the point of order. I will contest it with Paypal or my credit card company. Whether it Utah Airguns or FedEx it is Utah Airguns issue since THEY chose the carrier.

Last edited:
I can understand your frustration but let me show you this before you cut ties to UAG. If the shipping is the only reason to leave it is not a UAG policy but one from FedEx.
IMG_4585.jpeg

Still a U/A issue to me because it is their choice of shippers, they offer no alternate shipping methods, and they do not disclose the issue before checkout. In addition, there is zero legal reason for an ADULT signature for a scope, so no ID should have been required in the first place, and there would be no issue. All that was needed was a proof of delivery signature without ID.

Last edited:
Reactions: balver and rayroz
That's nice that you believe them about scanning DL.
Smitty
Just my own experience with FedEx has been the delivery driver just ask my last name and first name and that’s it.
But it is everyone’s own decision with whom to do business with.
My opinion doesn’t really matter because we all make our decisions. Hopefully the op will find resolution and if that is to take his business elsewhere then he has solved his problem.
I just wanted him to actually see what the “so called” policy is. As with everything, individual interpretations of guidelines is different from person to person.

"Just a heads up....

UA ships in X fashion

I did not like it for X reasons"

"It is something each purchaser will need to decide on their own, and since the vendor has chosen not to disclose it when checking out, I am making others aware so they can decide whether or not the risk is worth it."
-----
And call it a day. Too much emotion in your original post that it's off-putting, but I see where you are coming from. Either way, thanks for the heads up

Reactions: baloo
Here in Nebraska your drivers license number stays with you your whole life. Like a social security number. I literally block my number out on my DL with a sticky note cut to size. You should see the looks I get, and when asked I say that number on my DL is nunya. I tell them I'll give you my DL number if you give me your social security number. End of conversation.........:cool: