• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Feels like a stripped out stock screw

Hey Guys and Gals,
I have a mk2 600mm Crown in .25,great gun.
I have been noticing a change in impact that has just started. So I checked my stock screws and found they were not tight but felt as if they had started to strip out. I put some locktite medium thread locker on it, letting it dry now and no, I did not over tighten the screws, experience has taught me about over torquing screws.
I did notice a very slight movement in the action/barrel assembly and the stock, not much but any is to much.
Trying to find way this happened, the only thing I could think of is the added leverage of resting the stock on a benchrest platform. I do have a barrel band on it and a 700cc bottle. I have been using the bottle to rest the Mk2 on the stand 2 to 3 inches in front of the stock.
Any suggestion on how to resolve this issue?
The Crown shoots lights out when the stock is stabilized.
Thanks,
Mike

Hey Guys and Gals,
I have a mk2 600mm Crown in .25,great gun.
I have been noticing a change in impact that has just started. So I checked my stock screws and found they were not tight but felt as if they had started to strip out. I put some locktite medium thread locker on it, letting it dry now and no, I did not over tighten the screws, experience has taught me about over torquing screws.
I did notice a very slight movement in the action/barrel assembly and the stock, not much but any is to much.
Trying to find way this happened, the only thing I could think of is the added leverage of resting the stock on a benchrest platform. I do have a barrel band on it and a 700cc bottle. I have been using the bottle to rest the Mk2 on the stand 2 to 3 inches in front of the stock.
Any suggestion on how to resolve this issue?
The Crown shoots lights out when the stock is stabilized.
Thanks,
Mike
Don’t overlook the barrel/shroud spacers, they tend to get blown back out of place inside the shroud, leaving the end of the barrel unsupported inside the shroud.

Don’t overlook the barrel/shroud spacers, they tend to get blown back out of place inside the shroud, leaving the end of the barrel unsupported inside the shroud.
Thanks Scotty1,
The problem isn't in the shroud, unfortunately, easy fix. I took the precautions to use a small amount of friction tape in front of and behind each each spacer to keep them in place.
The problem lays in the stock screws seemingly not tight down enough to hold the synthetic stock to the action. I'm beginning to think the counter-sunk screw is compressing the hole, overtime making it soften. 1 screw has a load dispersing brass inlay between it and the stock but the other is relying on the added surface area of a countersunk hole.
As you can see in this picture, and std pic , the mk2 is performing well. 20230416_175638.jpgScreenshot_20230301_203500_FX Radar.jpgBy the way , that 5 shot group was shot at 57 yards.

Last edited:
On my Royale, Bobcat & Boss the stock screws are the beefiest ones on the guns. My Boss needed a washer added at one point to really lock down the action in the stock (I felt a little movement too) but never felt like it was stripping out.
Hey Gerry52,
Is you Boss a synthetic stock by chance? And which screw did you need to put a washer in?
The feeling I'm having might be the stock material compressing after having the stock off many times.
Do you happen to know the thread size and pitch of screw located by the bottle pressure guage?
Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
Loktite on small screws is a very bad idea. I would use heat and clean the threads with a thread chaser. Nail polish might work, but loktite can cause you to strip fine threads.
Thanks 7Green ,
I removed the thread lock , as you suggested. My old springer days where ever screw had to have locktite used on them due to the vibration dictated my use of it while dealing with my Crown's issue.

Reactions: 7Green
Hey Gerry52,
Is you Boss a synthetic stock by chance? And which screw did you need to put a washer in?
The feeling I'm having might be the stock material compressing after having the stock off many times.
Do you happen to know the thread size and pitch of screw located by the bottle pressure guage?
Thanks, Mike
I can only assume you have the brass ferrules under you screws? I’m not sure if they are on the synthetic stock, but I’d be surprised if the screw heads directly contact the stock with no washer, but I’m quite often surprised.

I can only assume you have the brass ferrules under you screws? I’m not sure if they are on the synthetic stock, but I’d be surprised if the screw heads directly contact the stock with no washer, but I’m quite often surprised.
Not on both of them, rear one does, front one is countersunk into synthetic stock. I notice abit chipping where the fill port is next to the stock screw.
Hummm.

Hey Gerry52,
Thanks, Mike
Boss is a pepper laminate stock. Go to FXusa website & look under SUPPORT for the manuals. Should give you screw size. There's a brass spacer between screw head & stock on the Boss. Don't know if Crown is different.

EDIT: I just looked at the Crown schematic & FX seems to have neglected showing the stock screws! On my Boss there's only one and it's an M5x16. Don't know what to tell you about yours. Email FX with that question. They're good about responding. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: MEC17670