• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Feedback FX Impact X on 0.22 slugs

Dubber was instrumental (as I understand it) in designing the X Barrel for slugs. As such, he had access to finished product before it hit the market for the rest of us. I've heard some slug liners are now available, but don't know of anyone doing extensive testing yet.

If anyone is out there, has a slug liner, and has some research, I'd love to know!

I've posted some info here- https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/early-impact-22-slug-liner-report/

For now, I've settled on the NSA 30gr slugs, and I'm trying to increase power to get up to around 1050 fps for the next level of testing. I do plan to try casting some of my own at some point, but I'll be surprised if they can compete with the NSA swaged slugs.

Cheers,

Rusty

Reactions: Austin13
Thank you Rusty and all for your feedback. Rusty, just curious : How did you get your .22 slug liner in the first place ? where they already available back in September ?

Cheers,

Stephane

Hi Stephane. I guess I was just really lucky. I had read that the slug liners would be available, but weren't in stock yet, so I placed an order with AOA expecting a long wait. Much to my surprise, I got a shipping notice just a few days later. I haven't really followed the availability, but it sounds like that may have been the only batch they got. 

Cheers,

Rusty

I'm still waiting on the 500mm Slug-X liner for my Crown 22. I asked 

I asked Roelf of Air Hunters which I should go with to start...the 19 or 21gr slugs. He advised me to try the 19gr slugs at a target velocity of 930 to 950 fps.

So I ordered 400 of them.

If you watch some of the long shots very closely, you can see some wobble around the 100yd mark. Seems to me just as with pellets, each weight is going to prefer a certain velocity range. 

It can't be much different from centerfire rifles, where you would not shoot a light and fast bullet with a fast twist rate. Same as shooting a slower and heavy bullet with a slow twist rate....not the ideal combination.

I should be able to get 930 to 950fps easily with the 19gr slugs in my rifle. If they aren't accurate enough (1.5" or less at 100yds) for me, I'll try 21gr and see how those do. I won't go heavier because that will just mean lower velocity and probably require a faster twist rate than what's currently available.

I plan on doing detailed accuracy testing with scope cam at a minimum.

I really hate it when results are wishy-washy. Those guys are shooting the lighter slugs, and Matt leans toward the lighter end as well, but anything under 27gr is completely unstable in my barrel. With 21gr, I can literally have flyers that are 2ft off at 70 yds. You can hear them tumbling when you shoot them. I'd say 2 out of 10 are completely unstable, and for the others the group size is 6" or more at 70 yds. Stupid things caused me to shoot my old chrono TWICE. I had it at the target comparing the readings to the LabRadar. 

I would also question the desire to shoot the lighter slugs. The BC is much higher on the heavier slugs, and isn't that the point of shooting slugs? The problem really is having enough power to shoot them with authority, since the other advantage is not having to shoot slow. Of course I'm convinced that there are some myths with diabolo pellets as well. Ernest turned me on to shooting the 18gr JSBs over 1000 fps. They are more accurate than any of the slugs have been, BUT I haven't done that same test with a lot of wind. I think the situation will change in those conditions. With the latest power mods, I'm sure I can shoot the 18gr pellets well over supersonic, which might be fun to try.

I'll be glad to see more of the slug barrels get out, so we can compare notes. I hope this isn't one of those "find what your particular barrel likes" situations, but I'm starting to fear that it might be.

Rusty

I really hate it when results are wishy-washy. Those guys are shooting the lighter slugs, and Matt leans toward the lighter end as well, but anything under 27gr is completely unstable in my barrel. With 21gr, I can literally have flyers that are 2ft off at 70 yds. You can hear them tumbling when you shoot them. I'd say 2 out of 10 are completely unstable, and for the others the group size is 6" or more at 70 yds. Stupid things caused me to shoot my old chrono TWICE. I had it at the target comparing the readings to the LabRadar. 

I would also question the desire to shoot the lighter slugs. The BC is much higher on the heavier slugs, and isn't that the point of shooting slugs? The problem really is having enough power to shoot them with authority, since the other advantage is not having to shoot slow. Of course I'm convinced that there are some myths with diabolo pellets as well. Ernest turned me on to shooting the 18gr JSBs over 1000 fps. They are more accurate than any of the slugs have been, BUT I haven't done that same test with a lot of wind. I think the situation will change in those conditions. With the latest power mods, I'm sure I can shoot the 18gr pellets well over supersonic, which might be fun to try.

I'll be glad to see more of the slug barrels get out, so we can compare notes. I hope this isn't one of those "find what your particular barrel likes" situations, but I'm starting to fear that it might be.

Rusty

Do the 27 and 28gr do ok?

Do the 27 and 28gr do ok?

More notes in the other thread I linked, but 27 is stable, though 30 gives better groups consistently. What I really wanted to use was the 28gr BT, but those are quite a bit worse than the 30gr non-BT. I haven't shot for any reason than velocity testing in weeks. I'm pretty obsessed with gaining more power for further testing. 

Rusty