• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Favorite bum bag filler?

Cork. Light weight, holds firm and lasts forever.

I have not purchased from this place, it was the first search result.

Reactions: Sqwirl57
I currently use buckwheat hulls, purchased from amazon. You'll need about 5 pounds. 5 pounds of this in volume is about 3 gallons in case you are trying to compare with a different material.

Cork might be worth a try, probably lighter, may be cheaper too.

I don't know how well it would work, but Cocoa Mulch (made from the shells of Cocoa Beans) might be close in density to the buckwheat hulls. Assuming you can still get this product in the Hershey PA area.

Rocks. Maybe AAFTA will eliminate this class where you use bum bags, tight leather jackets and straps. Let's truly see who's a good marksman without all the aids.

Less of an aid and more or a "keep my butt from getting wet while sitting on the ground" kind of thing.

Honestly though thats basically how I think too though. I only use stuff I would normally wear while out hunting. A comfortable shooting bag to sit on that I can toss over my shoulder fits that bill.

Rocks. Maybe AAFTA will eliminate this class where you use bum bags, tight leather jackets and straps. Let's truly see who's a good marksman without all the aids.
Hmmm, who knew a bumbag and t-shirt was an advantage. Seems everyone I shoot against is using a bipod and a telescope.

Assuming you can still get this product in the Hershey PA area.
They stopped importing cocoa beans years ago, only ground cocoa, so I haven’t seen bean hull mulch in a long time. Or more accurately, smelled it as I pass people houses.

John:
Beyond the leftover buckwheat hulls I got from Mike, Ive been cutting up the foam packing that pellets come in. Very light and super warm to sit on, and you may well have plenty on hand already.

Last edited:
I'd say, IF you are really looking for the superior advantage in high performance cushion filling for your bum bag, try filling it with "My Pillow" filling! Designed with patented interlocking foam blocks. Provides a 20% gain in more stable shots, less fatigue, hypo allergenic! 60 day, money back, guarantee! Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if it gets banned by the AAFTA!

Bought mine from there too. Very happy with it.

Been using it for years. Very stable. A little heavy but worth it. I use the recycled version. Here is a link:

Gary
Venice, FL

Reactions: BC and K9bite
I respect you for shooting field target without shooting sticks or a seat or a scope. Shooting without aids is too challenging for me, but I guess I'm not a good marksman.

Removing other shooters isn't going to improve your scores. Complaining to AAFTA isn't going to help either. The only way to improve your scores is to do the work.

And I also have had good luck with buckwheat hulls. Styrofoam pellets did not work well, they crush down to nothing in a few months. And they get everywhere when you try to add more.

I respect you for shooting field target without shooting sticks or a seat or a scope. Shooting without aids is too challenging for me, but I guess I'm not a good marksman.

Removing other shooters isn't going to improve your scores. Complaining to AAFTA isn't going to help either. The only way to improve your scores is to do the work.

And I also have had good luck with buckwheat hulls. Styrofoam pellets did not work well, they crush down to nothing in a few months. And they get everywhere wh en you try to add more.
Sticks and a bucket are ok for us old people, but I can't get up and down on the ground and put all that equipment on. That's for the young, mad dogs and Englishmen.

think i need a bum bag that does this
download (4).png

I second the cork fill and I have purchased from that link... they provide a good product at a good price.

I like the granulated cork because it's light weight, but holds whatever shape you need for a perfect butt fit and support. don't overfill your bag.. only 1/2 to 3/4 full in my opinion.

Wayne

Reactions: Sqwirl57
Hey jps. That class would be called WFTF. Since our sport originated in England in the late 70s early ,80s WFTF has always been a class, along with real hunter class in which they shoot off the ground on mats for most of the competition and from standing and kneeling unsupported and supported positions with a 12x scope they can't touch dying the match Not sure what class you shoot in field target but since you don't shoot WFTf obviously, that leaves .... open with shooting harnesses sitting on a bum bag with an unlimited power scope and unlimited magnification and up to 20 ft lbs OR hunter shooting off a bucket using bipods and a 16x scope at up to 20 ft lbs and heavy pellets. I have not shot hunter and assume it's not as easy as it looks with the scope magnification limits hindering range finding ability and getting into the perfect stable position. I have shot open years ago for a very short time and that was much easier with the harness and I very rarely ever had to aim outside the killzone. WFTF shooting light pellets at slower speeds is by far no gimme. Wind blows little pellets all over the place Having a shooting jacket and glove with no magnification limit (like open) and sitting on a bum bag to keep my butt dry are the only things I am allowed per the World rules and AAFTA rules. Perhaps you should come to the dark side and join me in shootin the easy class of WFTF and use all of our unnecessary aids as you call them . You may like it, or NOT. Either way you would gain knowledge. BC

Reactions: bvan and Sqwirl57